Thread: Opinions Please!!!!

Question Opinions Please!!!!

I'm in a dilemna. I have the chance to buy a modern Win 1886 45-70, a Browning 1886 45-70 and a Marlin 1895 45-70. Situation is this: the Winnie and Brownee are twice the money that the Marlin is. Question is: are they twice as good quality wise; twice as good in accuracy??? I will use it for hunting...not as a collector item. What do you think?
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

It's a matter of style and nostalgia. If the nostalgia and old time styling matter to you, get the Winchester or Browning. If it doesn't, get the Marlin and save several hundred dollars. The Marlin action is smoother, anyway and Marlin's shorter barrel makes it more portable.

Default Win., Browning, or Marlin .45-70.

For esthetics, nostalgia, fine workmanship, go with Winchester or Browning 1886. For functionality, portability, accuracy go with Marlin. The Marlin will outshoot the other two for accuracy, and is light enough to carry around in the woods. The two reproduction rifles are HEAVY and were designed to shoot to minute of bison. Besides, they are too pretty to bang up in the woods. Marlins are available in stainless, with recoil pads.

porcupine creek

Default What to do

Buy one of the Browning / Winchesters ( THREE times the amount ) . You sure as hell aren't going to be able to quit thinking about them if you buy a Marlin and will just go further backwards when you sell it two months from now to buy that .45-70 Browning carbine . Don't tell your wife . A Marlin does shoot better , disassembles in a minute , cycles much smoother , facilitates scope mounting , carries better and you just don't have to worry so **** much where you lean it . Buy an 86 .

Talking Mulling info

Thanks guys. On the weight factor, the Marlin is 71/4 lbs and they claim that the Win in 8lbs (with 26 barrel). Is the Win weight accurate or is it bs? It seems that the concensus is that the Marlin is more accurate and smoother, so I'm leaning toward the Marlin, although Logman has a definite point (always thinking later if the right decision was made).

I've got the Marlin in 45-70 (along with another in a wildcat and a Guide Gun) and the Browning 86, as well as an original 86 (38-56) and a 71 (basically a beefed up 86, originally put out in 348, but this one was done over to 450 Alaskan).

Functionality between the four is indistinguishable. They all work reliably. All the others are heavier than the Marlins, even when the barrel lengths are the same. The Winchester/Brownings balance a little different, and I like them better for offhand shooting. They just "hang" different and are lots easier to hit with, especially if you're a little winded or standing in an awkward position.

From the pure pleasure side, when you work the action on the Winchester/Brownings- even the newer 86, they feel like fine glass-slick machinery. It always puts a grin on my face to cycle the action. The Marlins aren't actually bad, but next to the others cycling the action feels kind of like opening and closing the door on a Yugo. I'm exagerating of course, but the Marlins are never as smooth and tight, if that means anything to you.

I've had my 1895 since the early 70's and can't think of any reason to trade it. It's just plain fun to shoot. With the curved hard plastic butt plate on the stock it does push back a bit when loads approach 1900 fps, but it's managable. Someday I'll have to buy a new buttstock.

Practical says 1895. Romantic says 1886.

Good comparison, Flyer55. Come to think of it, when I'm being practical I carry a beat up Marlin, but when I'm being romantic I pack an 86/71, while also worrying a bit more about scrapes and dings.

Thumbs up it's a done deal

Well, thanks guys. I've decided to go with the Marlin. It's a DLR, 24" half octagon/half round barrel, NIB. Your info was the decider, ciao.

I bet you'll be really happy. That's a cool looking rifle, and I debated about one for a long, long time. Let us know how it works out for you!