Thread: shrimping around montague

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default shrimping around montague

was wondering if there is good shrimping in the southern reaches of prince william sound. all the research ive done talks alot about the northern end but little about around montague or the southern islands.

I don't know much about that end of the sound for shrimping but all my buddies from Cordova tell me that there ain't many shrimp around there & i've never seen anybody messing with pots when i've been over there gillnetting in the early summer. Find yurself a good knuckle to fish on the western end and catch shrimp off it all summer.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Shrimp closer to Whittier

No, I have tried repeatedly down off the southern tip of Montague and all around Knight Is. Things really taper off once you get out past Knight Is.
    BK

I set pots off Chalmers Bay, Montague and Etches Bay, Hitchenbrook with little or nothing to show for it.

Default Knight Island

I know you mentioned Montague, but just a little north of there on Knight Island, we did well last summer for shrimp. Dropped the pots overnight and had a lot of work to do in the morning :-) We also got a big octopus in one of the pots. The bugger was pigging out on our shrimp, but he ended up being eaten himself.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default thanks guys

i was just wondering because i do most my fishing around ellrington, southern knight, and planning on eastern side of montague this year and dont really want to leave pots behind for too long a time.

Both times we brought our sets out that far (southwestern montegue) last year we got very few shrimp.

It seems they like Fjords for some reason. Perhaps the strong currents brings lots of food in. They sure are yummy.