Thread: What do Airplane Drivers pack?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default What do Airplane Drivers pack?

I know there are a lot of Airplane Drivers out there, so why not pick on them too.

If you are an Airplane Driver, a Truck Driver, or a Boat Driver, in the Greatland, what kind of firearms do you take with you, JUST IN CASE ???

If I'm going somewhere like that I usually take my 30-30.

Say, you may not always be hunting, but feel you might need one in your vehicle for any number of reasons.

I mean rifles mainly, but also handguns.

It seems to me that something that could be easily dragged out of the cab or cockpit, would be a consideration. Or something in the nature of a "knock-around" gun. My most "knock-around" would probably be my 338.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

sw 500.........not for sport

Default Plane, truck, etc. knock-around gun.

A .338 is fine, great in fact. Popular options are Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun in stainless. Ruger Super Redhawk in Stainless; Regular or Alaskan Model (which is a sweetie to shoot, by the way) in .454 Casull, with full power 330 or 335 gr. hard-cast, wide meplat bullets.
    Jack.

Handgun is usually a S&W 629 4" with 300gr hard cast loads. If I'm taking a long trip in the truck and don't have to worry about going thru canada I have a 18" open sighted 308 that I don't mind bouncing around the truck.

When flying so much depends on weight and space. AND the time of year. I ALWAYS have a airweight 22 kitgun in my survival vest pocket and 50 rounds of ammo. Much of the time I have my old M-29 6 inch on my chest as well. I often have a 12 gauge or a rifle in the plane depending on the time of year, where I might be flying and how much other stuff is already sucking up all the room and payload weight.

When flying floats out in the sticks you have to figure that you may only get out of the plane whatever is attached to your body.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Float Pilot:

"When flying floats out in the sticks you have to figure that you may only get out of the plane whatever is attached to your body."

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I reckon that's a good point. I didn't think about that one.

With me, my 30-30 is handier, (I had the barrel and magazine shortened) but the 338 is more powerful. It is harder to keep outta sight, though.

I used to carry my Ruger 357, but it's not as potent as a rifle.

Now, I have the 44, but I don't like to leave it in my truck alla time, just like the other rifles I have.

ALL my rifles have slings, and All my handguns have holsters with belts, so I can just grab it, and buckle it on, so it's grab and go either way. Extra Ammo too.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.