Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 22 cal. rifle?

Default Best 22 cal. rifle?

What would you say is the best make/model 22 caliber rifle?

I currently own a Ruger 77/22 bolt action and a 10/22 both are good rifles, used to own a Remington model 572 Fieldmaster which was my first 22.

With so many makes/models available now just wondering what other folks consider is the best rifle in their opinion.

Default .22

I like my Taurus M62 Pump .22 as it's a fairly accurate field gun and great for plinking.

My first was a Winchester 190, have the same two you do. I always reach for the stainless 77/22. Great for head shots on squirrels. Did work on the trigger a bit. Recessed fiber stock is kind of ugly but can't hurt it. There are better .22's but this it my favorite.

Best for an over the counter .22 rifle is the Cooper, followed by Kimber and then the CZ.
    Peyton, Colorado

I vote Cooper also. Beautiful, solid and accurate. I have a .280 on order and plan on getting a .223 and a .17 eventually. Hopefully by the time I can afford these three there will be a .338 mag available to round out the arsenal.

Have too disagree on this one. More 10/22's have been produced than any other rifle in the world and there is a reason. Even a stock 10/22 strait out of the box out shots any other 22 cal I've ever shot. I've owned 3 over the years in a variety of configurations and I wish I still had my stock one too hand down to Gunther. I currently have one fitted with a .90 cold rolled barrel and a Leupold scope, wouldn't trade it for any other 22! Ive taken squirrels at 70 yards with it and consistently out perform my brother who spent about twice as much on his.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Let me rephrase the question; What was the make/model of your first 22 cal rifle? what do you currently use? and what would your next purchase be considering all the options available today?

Living out here in rural Alaska I use my 22 cal much more than any of my centerfire rifles. Most of the hunters I know, own at least one 22 cal. 22s are great rifles for small game, target shooting or general plinking at cans and such. Seems to me that out here most hunters use their 22s more than anything else. Next 22 on my list is the new Remington 597 SS. The best rifle on the market, most accurate ???

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Its not my first, the most handsome, the most expensive, nor the most accurate, but it is by far and away my most prized 22. It is an old Remington 512 bolt action that belonged to my Grandfather and sat propped against the wall in the machine shed on the farm in eastern Nebraska for as long as I can remember. When I was about 12 I asked Grandpa about it and he said “its always in here……….go shoot it when ever you want” and even with those old open sights it shot great, with a nice crisp trigger, and it would shoot shorts, longs or long rifle, with equal accuracy, and accounted for many squirrels and rabbits. Back in the 80’s after he had passed, my Father pulled that rifle out of the machine shed and brought it home from the estate auction and set it aside in his wood working shop, as he knew I would want it. While on a visit in the 90’s we got to chatting and pulled it out to have a look: My Grandfather had completely filled the barrel and tube magazine with some nasty black grease that he had used on his tractors and other equipment for nearly 60 years and when I pulled the bolt back, a 22 long cartridge slowly oozed out of the magazine in one homogonous blob of bullet and grease and dutifully pointed itself toward the chamber! I spent the next couple of nights getting all of that grease out of the action, barrel and magazine to find a rifle, that on the inside at least was pristine and as perfect as the day it was made. The exterior had not faired nearly as well over the decades and now wears a blue-less patina in the shade of light brown that is especially appealing to my eye, but would no doubt bring a frown to the face of the uniformed observer. I cant tell you how many times I have sat in the garage and held that rifle thinking back to the days of my youth and the wonderful, formative experiences I had with that great man, my Grandpa. I can still see him in my minds eye; tall, rugged, hard and warn down from decades of brutally hard living, but at the same time, loving, soft and all knowing. Even as a grown man with boys of my own, and all these years later, it makes me want to cry every time I hold that rifle. What good and precious memories are attached to it. Three generations and soon to be four as I pass it, and its story on to my boys. If my house caught fire, other than the family of course, it would be the first thing I grabbed as I headed out the door. There isn’t another 22 on the planet that is worth as much to me as that old worn down Remington 512.

So I guess my advice to you, is when looking for a new sporting arm, focus on the people, your loved ones that will some day inherit that gun. And rather than spending money on this or that, spend the time and the effort to build the memories that will last for generations and lifetimes. In the end, it doesn’t matter if it’s a cheap ass, off brand piece or a high dollar European model. It’s the stories it tells that makes it valuable.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Very hard for me to tell which .22 caliber is the best, but from the aftermarket -parts standpoint, the Ruger 10/22 is hard to beat. Just toss the stock, the extractor, and the barrel, and there are numerous aftermarket parts for one to turn the little rifle into a tack driver. There are all sorts of target barrels, stocks, extractors, hammers, triggers, etc. available for it. Only one's pocket is the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Let me rephrase the question; What was the make/model of your first 22 cal rifle? what do you currently use? and what would your next purchase be considering all the options available today?

... The best rifle on the market, most accurate ???
    First .22: Ruger 10/22
    Currently Use: Ruger 10/22
    Next Purchase: Ruger 10/22
    Best .22: Ruger 10/22
    Most accurate .22: Ruger 10/22

Default Ya Might Wanna Google Remington 597 Problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post

Living out here in rural Alaska I use my 22 cal much more than any of my centerfire rifles. Most of the hunters I know, own at least one 22 cal. 22s are great rifles for small game, target shooting or general plinking at cans and such. Seems to me that out here most hunters use their 22s more than anything else. Next 22 on my list is the new Remington 597 SS. The best rifle on the market, most accurate ???

The 597 has some issues worth investigating!

Geez, .22s?

The Marlins are always tack drivers, the 10-22s not so much until a bit of recrown and chamber face (not quite Benz), the CZ-452 is the stock Caddie of two-d-twos IMO.

IF ya gotta have the semi-auto then the 10-22 Target with the barrel cut to eighteen inches with 11 degree target crown and a very light face cut on the chamber end.....expect with Wolf MT sub-minute

I can not match Alangag's story; that would take some doing. Neither my parents or grand parents ever did much hunting and I am not sure where I got the bug. My first real 22 was a Win 69A. Shot lots of stuff with it over about 20+ years. My current is a CZ 452 and with its trigger, it is twice as accurate as the Win. I love this little rifle; bought it used out of a pawn shop. Had I gotten this rifle 40 years ago, I expect I would be a better shot today. But maybe not. It is pretty neat remembering all the hunting trips I have taken with the other kids in the neighbor hood and all time time spent alone in the hills dragging that Win over hill and dale. J.

CZ452

No plastic.
    Most accurate in price range.
    Adjustable trigger.
    Aftermarket parts available for customization.
    Many different barrel, stock, and sight configurations.
    Excellent value.

go to http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/ if you want to find more info about .22's. That should keep you busy for about a month.

My first 22 was rossi pump, copy of a winchester design. I had a blast shooting untold thousands of rounds out of that thing. Its pretty accurate too. She just doesnt feed to reliable anymore.

Man What a question! THis is like asking whats the best round for alaska LOL!

I dont really currently use a 22lr anymore. Im kind of exclusive to 17hmr now. But I do keep a marlin 25n on hand for my 22lr shooting.. Its been a good gun. Its cheap but works good.

What would I get if I could choose anything? Id probably get a Volquartsen superlight. Lightweight, accurate, semi auto.

My first .22 was a Remington, single shot, youth model (I don't remember the model number)...my mom still has it at the farm for shooting squirrels that get into the bird feeder.

My current .22 is a stainless 10/22 that I have had for 20 years. I've modified it quite a bit. It has an 18" Volquartsen barrel, folding stock, Leupold scope, and a reworked trigger. This rifle is very accurate with match grade federal ammunition (solids). I have shot at least a couple of thousand rounds through it. I take it on pretty much every snow machine trip during the winter, and it goes to moose camp in the fall. I'm careful to spray it down when I bring it home after a trip, but all I ever do with the bore is run a boresnake through it with some Butche's gun oil at the end of the snake. If I ever wear it out, I'll get another 10/22 in an eye blink.

I do own a Remington 597 in .17HMR...and it is (IMO) a junker. No offense to those who like them.

Doc
    You should have gotten a 10/22 and converted it to 17hmr. Now there is a small game gun!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Sounds like the Rem 597 has some issues. Superx thanks for the link to rimfirecentral, interesting reading.
    I just pulled another 22 cal out of my closet and wiped the dust off, it is a MAS Model 45, rifle is mounted with an adjustable peep sight, 24 in barrel and it is parkerized. Used to hunt with it about 10 years ago. Took some practice to get used to the peep sight though. Rifle really needs to be drilled and tapped for scope mounts, maybe even cut the barrel down to 20" and have it recrowned, could also use a lighter stock if there is one available. Rifle is a little heavy.

Nylon 66.

Ron

Default 10/22

Has anyone mentioned the 10/22 yet? No need for anything else.

Default favorite 22

I've had a number of great 22's.

Last year I bought a CZ452. It is so accurate I bought a second one. Both will shoot one hole groups that have outside diameters under 1/2 inch at 25 yards right out of the box.
    Most of the time they will shoot under .4 outside diameter for 5 shots.
    This makes them my favorites.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast