Thread: Tangled Lakes hunting/fishing

Default Tangled Lakes hunting/fishing

I am planning a few spring and summer excursions and I would like to make a trip into the Tangled Lakes are for some Pike fishing and bear hunting. That falls into unit 13, and I know they would appreciate the help with the griz.
    Has anyone bear hunted this area with any success? (Pike success?) My ideal plan is to take the trip for some pike fishing, and watch the banks while I'm out in hopes of seeing something pilfering around. Is that reasonable? I don't know what the landscape is like down there as far as open area, hills, marshes, etc., so any help/advise is appreciated.

Thanks again,
    Northern

Do you mean Tangle Lakes (not Tangled) off the Denali highway? If so my wife and I have fished there for years. Her for all her life. No pike though, Grayling and Lakers in the lake. Some whitefish and I'm told some burbot. Never have tried to fish them though. We have never had bear encounters and very seldom see bear but 4 years ago we did see a griz at the wayside parking area along the Tangle river. Summer time though.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I have seen the occasional bear and i do mean occasional around the tangle lakes, rock creek, landmark gap area of the Denali Highway. Most of them have been far far off and i spotted them while glassing just to admire the scenery. I have never seen a pike in that area and hope i never do. They grayling fishing is fantastic and I have done quite well on the lakers too. Pike is the last piece of trash i want to see in that area.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Tangle Lakes

I worked for the BLM a few years back doing backcountry work on Tangle Lakes down through the Delta and the Gulkana drainage. The Delta out of the Lakes is a super canoe trip only a few will make. It offers the best Grayling fishing but I never saw a bear even during my patrolsí during Caribou season with all of the gut piles. The Gulkana is a better choice if its bear you want to see, plenty for sure!

Good luck on your quest and keep asking questions. This is the best place to find out what you need to know!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

no pike there for some reason (half the tangle lakes are in the yukon drainage) Great area though
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

"canoe trip only a few will make."

Maybe even fewer now, since you are required to pack out your Poo Poo.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Do you mean Tangle Lakes (not Tangled) off the Denali highway?
    yeah, thats the one...

Thanks guys, I guess I will keep shoppin for the fuzzies. Where is the Gulkana located with Fairbanks as the reference?

Default Gulkana??

Haven't lived in Alaska long I would guess. Find Paxon lake on the Richardson and float to Sourdough Camp ground as your take out, 4-5 days
    Last edited by Gulkana Rafting; 02-02-2008 at 20:09. Reason: spelling

Not too long, 2 1/2 years. Had a boat up here for less than a year, so I really dont know the rivers very well.
    Is this float by boat, or canoe? Is Paxson Lake the only, or easiest access? Is it accessible there by boat? What is the water like there, shallow, rocky, good travels?

Default Gulkana

Northern

If you decide to go on the Gulkana make sure you are ready and well equipment i.e. dry bags and float options for a canoe. Also check the regs for the area some of the upper portions of that area are Paxon Control use areas as well as limited access at certain times of the year for tradaition use hunts if I am not mistaken. Another good source of information is Josh Hughes and Kng Fishers Perch he does hunter transport in the Copper River Valley.

Gulkana - Luanch Paxon Lake to the East Fork if the wind is blowing hard stay off the lake!!!!! if your in a canoe!!!!!! 3 or so miles thruogh the lake to the East Fork of the Gulkana i.e. outlet of the lake. In the Fall if the water is down lots and lots of rocks will require some lining. If the water is up then lots and lots of rocks no lining.

2-3 miles or so entering the middle fork - deep water ranging from 1-4 feet for the most part class I then into the ox bows after a hald a day or so. Slow Slow water up to 8ft deep give or take a couple of feet now and again you will find no bears there.

Canyon falls -please don't run it in your canoe loaded I have found and help way to many people in canoes in that area of the river. If the water is low Rocks Rocks Rocks then 9 or so miles of Class II rock invested pocket water but doable. 3-5 Days to complete the trip

Then class I 1.5 to the West Fork then out to Sourdough Class I.

Then you have the Middle Fork option from Dicky Lake in whihc is class I Class II rocky pocket water and during low water you will be lining your canoe more tha paddling it. Expect 5-6 Days to complete this trip

I guess the best way I can sum it up concerning your hunt option fro Bears would be if yuor hunting in the fall your chasing fish bears. The 2nd run of Reds in the system run from August -Oct. peaking IMO in the first two weeks of Sept. I have seen more Griz then Blacks in the system up high. It will not be a spot and stalk hunt on the river it will be fnd a feeding station and wait hunt you can not miss the fedding stations looks like someone padded the ground down and yes piles of nice steamy stinking bear crap.

On a side note IMO there are much better options for chasing bears then the Gulkana system.

Just food for thought if you wish to have all the details on the entire drainage shoot me a PM.

Hope the info helps! Best Wishes and Tight Lines

Richard Mousseau
    www.bluemooserafting.com

Well, I am definitely not set on the Gulkana. Really, I have a 17' aluminum boat to access water ways, so floating rocky areas really isn't my interest. I only asked about Gulkana because some mentioned it it was good for bears.

Coming from the FB area, I can head towards Valdez, or I can put in at Nenana, or I can run up to the Yukon. It seems I have good options frm here. I would just like to spend a few days out hunting bears and catchin some pike if I could. If I could take a trip to Valdez and be able to put my 17 footer in there to catch a few Halibut/silvers/reds/etc., and then troll the shores looking for those big brown fishermen too, that would be nice. Or get into some back waters or horseshoe lakes for pike fishing, and have good opportunity at some spot and stalk on griz, or blackies, that would be great too.
    Thanks for the replies and advise guys.

If you live in Fairbanks and want to go Griz hunting head on up the Steese Hwy. Get up there around 12 mile on to Eagle Summit. Don't need a Griz tag up there either (check the regs though). Or, even spend some time on the Chena. The grizzlies are really popping up around here. I've seen griz on the Chena within a mile or up and down stream from the flood control project gates. Not real good pike fishing but I have caught some small ones.

Of course you'll have to wait until fall to hunt them.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Why wait till fall? Season doesn't end until 31 May for unit 20B.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern View Post
    Why wait till fall? Season doesn't end until 31 May for unit 20B.

duh... I had a duh moment... thanks for setting that straight.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Northern

If you decide to go on the Gulkana make sure you are ready and well equipment i.e. dry bags and float options for a canoe. Also check the regs for the area some of the upper portions of that area are Paxon Control use areas as well as limited access at certain times of the year for tradaition use hunts if I am not mistaken. Another good source of information is Josh Hughes and Kng Fishers Perch he does hunter transport in the Copper River Valley.

Gulkana - Luanch Paxon Lake to the East Fork if the wind is blowing hard stay off the lake!!!!! if your in a canoe!!!!!! 3 or so miles thruogh the lake to the East Fork of the Gulkana i.e. outlet of the lake. In the Fall if the water is down lots and lots of rocks will require some lining. If the water is up then lots and lots of rocks no lining.

2-3 miles or so entering the middle fork - deep water ranging from 1-4 feet for the most part class I then into the ox bows after a hald a day or so. Slow Slow water up to 8ft deep give or take a couple of feet now and again you will find no bears there.

Canyon falls -please don't run it in your canoe loaded I have found and help way to many people in canoes in that area of the river. If the water is low Rocks Rocks Rocks then 9 or so miles of Class II rock invested pocket water but doable. 3-5 Days to complete the trip

Then class I 1.5 to the West Fork then out to Sourdough Class I.

Then you have the Middle Fork option from Dicky Lake in whihc is class I Class II rocky pocket water and during low water you will be lining your canoe more tha paddling it. Expect 5-6 Days to complete this trip

I guess the best way I can sum it up concerning your hunt option fro Bears would be if yuor hunting in the fall your chasing fish bears. The 2nd run of Reds in the system run from August -Oct. peaking IMO in the first two weeks of Sept. I have seen more Griz then Blacks in the system up high. It will not be a spot and stalk hunt on the river it will be fnd a feeding station and wait hunt you can not miss the fedding stations looks like someone padded the ground down and yes piles of nice steamy stinking bear crap.

On a side note IMO there are much better options for chasing bears then the Gulkana system.

Just food for thought if you wish to have all the details on the entire drainage shoot me a PM.

Hope the info helps! Best Wishes and Tight Lines

Richard Mousseau
    www.bluemooserafting.com
    Is Josh still taking hunters after his "court" appearance?