Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best all around cal.

Default best all around cal.

well i am in the military and being sent to alaska for the next 4 years. i love to hunt, and i want a new rifle. what would be the best cal. for most alaska game. i was planning to buy a 300rum or a 7mm, but i was told that 338 was the way to go. any sugestions welcome

This one will start a huge debate! lol..... Here is my personal opinion.

Most versitile: 30-06
    Best all around: .300

But, the best gun is the one you can shoot with the utmost accuracy.

For all-around use up here, a .338 hands down. If you aren't in an area with the big coastal bears, the .300 and .30-06 are great. My favorite caliber for here is my .280 Remington, unless I am near the coast. Then, I only carry a .338 or .375.

As Aksled said, whatever you decide on, burn a LOT of powder in it until it is second nature to you. Then, shoot regularly. Being able to manipulate the bolt or whatever action you get by pure instinct could be the difference between getting mauled or killed and a successful shot.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default Best All-Around

The 338 is the '06 of Alaska.

If you aren't going to hunt coastal brown bear, you don't really need anything more than the 06. If you don't reload ammo is going to be cheaper for it. And it's been good enough since long before Magnum meant only the H&H varieties of 300 and 375. Lots more choices out there today, but time hasn't eroded the 06's effectiveness or its versatility.

Price 338 ammo and 06 ammo, then figure on shooting enough boxes every year to retain proficiency. If that doesn't scare you into either reloading or picking a capable round that costs less to shoot, I don't know what will.

An age old debate. Here is the link to the latest poll: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...e+caliber+poll

Welcome aboard by the way, lots of good stuff in the archives

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

30-06 done and done. If I could only have one rife that would be the one. 338? that's a short magnum for a guy with a short..............
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Thumbs up 338 Win

The 338 Win is the 30-06 of Alaska...........I will second that!

Default my vote:

A single gun? .338WM
    More than one gun? 7mm/30-06 for most things, and .375 for the big stuff.

Default just ONE GUN for everything.....

prob 338 WM, after that comes the contested can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by alaska bush man View Post
    The 338 Win is the 30-06 of Alaska...........I will second that!
    Me three It's hard to beat the .338WM as an all around caliber.

.30-06 is hard to beat and every serious hunter should probably own one. I would stay away from the ultra mags as a first rifle because ultra mag ammo prices are just too high for the little bit of advantage they provide.

Default 7mm Mag

I have a 7mm Mag that I think is basically an all around rifle. I did happen to also pick up a 338 Win Mag that the price was right on, just to have a big thumper for the big boys if I ever go lookin for 'em. They are both nice rifles, but the 7mm is lightweight and doesn't kick like the 338. Lots of factory loads for both.

Default .308 Winchester

This is my favorite and it may not get many endorsements, but it has worked well enough for me! The .308 Winchester is pretty versatile.

Default Best all-around rifle for Alaska.

.338 Win. mag. with synthetic stock, preferably pillar bedded. Hunting Brownies or hanging around where it rains all the time? Hunting Sitka blacktail on the coast or islands? .375 H&H, stainless, synthetic stock and preferably pillar bedded. Lower power scope with quick detachable mounts and iron sights. Consider a Bushnell 3200 or 4200 Elite scope with Firefly reticle and Rain Guard features for either rifle. IMO. Whatever you get, shoot it a lot. Get really good with it. Shoot offhand a lot. Shoot from field positions.
    Jack.

.300 win mag!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Across the board, if you wanted to whack everything in Alaska, Id say 338 too. It has the range and power. Ive seen Deer to moose to bears shot with them. They all died, not a big waste of meat on the small things either.

That being said Im choosing the 300 win mag for me cause its what I can handle at practice.

Ammo prices are ridicuoulous now for anything. crap 20 rounds of 7.62x39 is 6 bucks! I remember when it was practiclly free.

Now back to the big debate that we love so much. Get a gun that you can shoot good. Ive found that 300 win mags are about as far as I want to go. Ive tried 375's and such. I devoloped a big flinch from them. Didnt know it till one day I go to fire the 375 forgot to take the safety off or forgot to rack a shell in, and man did I flinch bad when I thought that gun was gonna go off. Im not sure if I would flinch in a hunting situation with that big of a gun but it sure makes practice hell.

Default the gun

It might be intersesting for you to read about the old timers and what they used . Sarber and Hasselborg along with Pinnell , Taliffson and Hal Waugh later on all gave us real advice on what works . I'd wait until you get here and head to the shops and just start putting rifles to your shoulder , with a little luck you'll pick one up that whispers in your ear , hopefully it will be chambered for a suitable cartridge . I started my boys out with .358 Winchesters and later made .35 Whelen's for both . I lived by my .358 Norma up here until it was stolen in 2004 . Good luck .

Smile .338 Win. Mag.

For 33 years I have been using the .338. I can not live in Alaska with out one.

Default 300 win mag

My father has been shooting one for 46+ years here and killed lots of game in various sizes deer to moose. Ive got one as well plenty of one shot kills on caribou and a Kodiak Brownie this last year. I love mine I shoot it well. very flat shooting and hard hitting. Mine really likes Barnes TSX and Scirrico (SP?)

That being said Im looking at a 375 H&H or a 338 Win Mag because my wife has taken my 300 and wont give it back

Good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast