Thread: Which Decoy is best?

Default Which Decoy is best?

Any one brand of decoy better than the other? Like buying Christmas Lights the day after Christmas for next year, I thought about doing the same for duck season and picking up another dozen decoys. I have quite a mix between finding one or two here and there over the years, buying half a dozen, the half dozen my buddy left in my garage (his contribution to our collection), etc. Now that I'm actually going to buy some, i was wondering which direction to go, also I was going to pick up a few crows as confidence decoys.

I personally dig Greenhead Gear decoys....But to say one is better than the rest is pretty hard these days...

Yes, certain ones will be better than others but ya need to get what is affordable for you, and what appeals to you..

That being said, the GHG Hot buy mallards are a screaming deal and have held up great for us.

GHG decoys look really good. They are very life like, but you have to be careful with them in the decoy bag, or they will scratch. The good thing about the Hot buys from GHG is, they are so cheap. If they do get scratched or banged up, they are really cheap to replace. They are a little on the small side, and you will have to attach the anchors to the bill or keel, because you can't wrap them around the neck. But a really good value.

If you want decoys that will last for a long time, check out the G&H decoys. They will cost you some money, but you won't have to buy another dozen in 2 years.

I don't have any experience with using crows as confidence decoys with ducks, so I can't help you there. I do know putting out a few floater goose decoys works pretty well as confidence decoys.

If you want to invest your money in a really good decoy, pick up a mojo. You won't be sorry.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

In all honesty - I have yet to see the value in a mojo when it comes to puddle duck hunting - Seaduck hunting we use one with great results - but puddle ducks - We always out hunt the other parties on the wetlands here that use them...

They work great for us here in Anchorage. We use three of them, and the ducks pour right in. They can't seem to resist them. We are hunting the hayflats so basically we are hunting potholes. That could make a difference, or maybe they are starting to get wise to them by the time they get down to Juneau.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

To him his own, but in my opinion a good handcarved floater is a thing of beauty. Not only do they kill birds but hunting over your own handmade blocks is the funnest thing in the world.

If you are stuck on the plastic dekes, go with FullCurl mallard floaters. They are made by AERO outdoors, with flocked heads and asses they look great and are very durable.

just my two cents!