Thread: Tanada Lake Trail

Thumbs up Tanada Lake Trail

I know there are a million questions about drawing areas, I have been planning a sheep hunt in the Wrangells for a year now, and was wondering the best access to Jacksina Glacier by foot. Can you get to Tanada Lake by four-wheeler, or can I drive down the Nabesna Road close to the mine and walk from there? If anybody has been back in the by foot, please let me know! I will also be calling the Park staff to seee what they say.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

It would be extremely tough to access the Jacksina Glacier via Tanada Lake Trail. You can drive to about five miles from the Nabesna Mine, but the end of the Nabesna Road is private property and the land owners are unlikely to allow you to park there for walk in hunting purposes. It would also be extremely difficult to access the Jacksina from that side.

As of last year the Tanada Lake Trail is closed to recreational ORV use. Along with a couple others. Still open for in-holders and subsistence users however.
    Go here for details:

http://www.nps.gov/wrst/parkmgmt/park-access.htm
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Walking

Can you physically walk back to Jacksina to hunt? I have been planning this hunt for too long to try another area! I don't have the budget to do a drop-off. So, walking is the only option I have.

Default beat me to it

There are a few trails closed and that is one of them. I am going to be in the area this summer farting around. I've spent a little time back there, but not enough to give advice. I think the walk you are asking to do would be VERY, VERY, did I say VERY tough?

I was looking at something along these lines last year when the trails were closed. We changed our plans after looking at what we would have to walk through. I don't think it would be fun as a hike, let alone carrying a load of supplies and/or sheep meat.

If I were you, I would pick somewhere else to go.

I heard through the grapevine that it will be at least a 3 year closure.

Is there an air taxi nearby (Glenallen?) to fly you over the route from the mine? I don't know if you have to go all the way to the glacier to get a sheep. Are you looking for a trophy or a legal sheep?

Tim

Default Legal Sheep

Not looking for a trophy at this moment. Just wanting to get my first sheep. Thanks

Default Bogs Bogs Bogs

Can you say BOGS, its bad enough to walk the sponge and tusucks with a load on your back, but the bogs would make it almost impossible. If your only option is to walk or maybe 4 wheel give me a pm or email, I might be able to make a suggestion or two

Default PM Sent

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter02 View Post
    Can you say BOGS, its bad enough to walk the sponge and tusucks with a load on your back, but the bogs would make it almost impossible. If your only option is to walk or maybe 4 wheel give me a pm or email, I might be able to make a suggestion or two
    PM SENT Thanks

Default You could...

walk for three days to get there just to find someone has beat you to it in a super cub or by horseback. Plus all the locals will still be using ATV's. Nothing worse than hiking 20 miles and have a 4-wheeler motor past. Then again as tough as it sounds, it sounds like just the kind of hike to separate you from the average sheep hunters.

What are the rules for landing airplanes IN the PRESERVE? I know you can 4wheel (not now as they are doing an EIS-environomental impact statement) in the Park but not in the Preserve. Can planes land (on wheels) in the Preserve?

Tim

Default park/preserve rules

You can do many more things in the preserve than in the park if you a non-qualified user. There are a few trails that are closed, realistically for the next 3 years. You can't land or hunt in the park if you aren't a qualified user, nor can you access the park with an airplane if you are a qualified user. You can land anywhere in the preserve with a plane to hunt. I believe that if you aren't a qualified user, you must have a permit for any atv use.

Believe me, there will be "locals" in there.

Good luck!

Default Airplanes in the Park/Preserve

Recreation:
    No permit required; May land anywhere in the park and preserve regardless of wilderness designation; [43 CFR 36.11(f)].

Straight from the Park Service Access page (same website linked above in this thread).

Default good clarification

My mistake. I was referring to landing and hunting in the park. NOT a good thing!

http://www.nps.gov/wrst/planyourvisit/hunting.htm

The link provided by Snyd up near the top and this one may help cover the access questions related to hunting and access.

Also, give a call out at the NPS Nabesna ranger station. 822-5238. There are folks who live out there who can provide some suggestions and talk about their experience hunting, dealing with swamps and brush, etc.

Good luck and safe travels!