Thread: Moose in 9E?

Default Moose in 9E?

Any thought on moose hunting in Unit 9E? I keep hearing that there are a lot of bears in this area. I know it is managed as a "Trophy Moose" area, but how are the numbers? What is the hunting pressure like? Looking to make our first drop/float hunt for moose in 2009. Would we be better off in a different area? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Default Moose 9E

Some of the best moose hunting in the world is in 9E. Im not going to tell you thats its cheap, and if you want a great hunt dont book with a high tempo or big name business. There are bears and one needs to use common sense when in bear country. Im thinking about getting on of the electric fences for my camp. One year I hunted east side of Lake becharof and the bears got a quarter of the meat and the rack. I did get some good pictures and a great experience out of the deal. Good luck.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by 77hunter View Post
    I know it is managed as a "Trophy Moose" area,
    What do you mean; or what does it meant to say "managed as a Trophy Moose area"?

Apparently what is meant by this phrase is that there is a 50 inch antlers/3 brow tine minimum for all hunters, not just non-residents. This is a phrase used by Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game.

theres an any bull season after the rut for residents only...

Great area, lots of bears, probably a few moose, I saw one in the month and a half I was there
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.