Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DS 190 Sheep Carpenter Creek

Default DS 190 Sheep Carpenter Creek

I got lucky (hopefully) and drew this area for sheep. Can it be accessed by ATV? If anyone has any general information on this area I could use it. There's also no map available on the AF&G website so I'm guessing I need to go by the anchorage office to get the hunt boundries.....(?)
    Thanks. Goody

Even if you got your ATV across the Mat I think the ATV portion of the trip would end there.

You didn't know the hunt boundaries before you applied, Goody?

Anyhow, you can get a description and basic map in the permit hunt supplement that you used to apply with. You can also get a hunt description online and then look at a different map to figure it out.

you're gonna wanna raft across the mat then bushwhack up the mountains we were thinking about hunting there last year and scrapped the idea because we didn't have two weeks to build a trail to tree line. Good luck
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I've ridden in that area on snowmobile. No access in summer across the river other than raft, but it's a very doable crossing since the highway is right there. After that it's straight up. I would spend my summer scouting it.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Good luck, I think its fair to say you won't have nearly as much company up there as you would have in years past...hopefully there are a few sheep in the area for you.

Default Boundaries

I knew the area but didn't have the exact coordinates for the boundaries. I did see the location in the supplement and do know where its at but that doesn't go far with f & g if I'm on the wrong side of a creek. Theres no map on the draw site link so I'll just go by there this week and get the left and right limits to ensure I'm good.

What's the sheep population like in that area. Understand about the river and already figured that I'd need a raft but was hoping it was passable by ATV. Thanks
    Last edited by Goody; 02-03-2008 at 09:48. Reason: spelling

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

You shouldn't have problem finding all the necessary map information, its a pretty well known area that has received a fair amount of pressure over the years- often more hunters than legal rams it seems. I've hunted it a number of times, along with Friday and Metal creeks on the other side. Mature Ram population is low- compared to the monsters the area used to produce- although it seems that there is always a hog or 2 taken in the Western Chugach.

With the limited number of tags for the area now, you should have a good shot at not having to do the 'race for the rams' with other hunters.

I drew the new Marcus Baker goat tag- who knows, maybe our paths will cross...

Oh, and if you haven't been in the area, you may want to make sure you are in tip-top shape as the Chugach are quite unforgiving- and did I mention the alder crashing that you will need to do?

Congrats on the tag, research, research and more research will pay HUGE dividends!

I was looking at Carpenter Creek for a hunt last year. I talked to Palmer F&G and they warned me about altercations between the Chickaloon Natives and hunters. I guess some in the local natives feel that the property east of the Mat is tribal land and have damaged some rafts while hunters were up in the mountains. I was planning to go in with a borrowed zodiak and ended up scrubbing the whole idea.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I was looking at Carpenter Creek for a hunt last year. I talked to Palmer F&G and they warned me about altercations between the Chickaloon Natives and hunters. I guess some in the local natives feel that the property east of the Mat is tribal land and have damaged some rafts while hunters were up in the mountains. I was planning to go in with a borrowed zodiak and ended up scrubbing the whole idea.
    Thats the second time that I've heard something about the natives in the last few days. Regardless, I'm going in and will hunt it hard because I may never draw something that close to the house again.

I'm active duty military so I'm doing physical training everyday but now I'll really ramp it up and start the climbs up the artic valley hills with moderate packs and gradually increase over the next few months.

Am I reading the permit correctly because it looks like an any ram area??

Thanks. Goody

Default carpenter creek valley

I think it is possible to get to tree line (almost) via 4-wheeler based on the last time I backpacked it there. Usually some full curls in there....but you will almost assuredly earn them. Usual access has been via supercub in the past. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Goody View Post
    Am I reading the permit correctly because it looks like an any ram area??
    Yep, that is one of the areas that, in addition to becoming a draw area, changed to an any-ram management strategy. There are some folks that are pretty unhappy with this approach to sheep management, but that's a discussion for another forum. As it stands, you'll be allowed to harvest any ram.

Default Draw Or Harvest?

Is 14a draw or harvest? ADF&G web-site shows it as a harvest. any info?

Quote Originally Posted by RICKETEW View Post
    Is 14a draw or harvest? ADF&G web-site shows it as a harvest. any info?
    It's changing to a draw for the 08-09 regulatory year. If you're looking at the current regs, those are for the 07-08 year which ends in June.

where can you get regs for the o8-o9 year?

Default Is all of 14A going draw?

Was thinking of hitting Hatchers Pass possibly but most likely not motivated enough. Just wondering, first I heard of 14A going to drawing for sheep.

Going probably but it isn't all draw yet. The Chugach in unit 14 are all draw as of this year but you can still hunt the talkeetnas w/ a harvest ticket.

Sorry, I should have said that some of it is going to a draw. That south of the Matanuska River is now a draw, while 14A north of the Mat is still a harvest ticket hunt.

Rickett - The regs for 08-09 won't be available until at least mid-June, I think.

Good Luck on the hunt. I applied but didn't draw. Should be little pressure compared to past years.

As I was driving across the flats today (beautiful day for a drive) I was looking at Lazy Mountain. I often wonder if there isn't an ATV trail to the top of there. From there you've got the altitude to work back towards Carpenter Creek on top. You are still going to be hiking a ways though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast