Thread: How'd I do?

Wink How'd I do?

Last night, I scored on 130+ .300 RUM brass...for the whopping total of $3.00! Now I just need to get one of those rifle thingies to shoot them out of...oh, and some dies too I spose. I just love getting a good deal on somthing!

Default Who'd you rob?

Sounds like you got a heckuva deal there. Once fired brass or brand new brass?
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

If you were already planning to buy a .300 RUM rifle, I would say good deal. Otherwise, not too sure... Rifle, scope, dies, primers, etc. Maybe you're about $1,500 or more away from using the brass?

Some people may say you got the cart before the horse. Some may say its a good excuse to buy the rest of the stuff. I'll go with the last one.

Default .300 RUM brass, used.

I hope you know and trust the person you bought it from. If it has been fired 5 or more times, particularly in a chamber other than what you will shoot it in, it could well be unsafe. At least check the overall length and look for a shiny, bright ring ahead of the case-head on the outside. Straighten out a paper clip long enough to reach into the case and to the case head. Bend the end of the clip 90 degrees, to form a short "L". Draw the wire back out with the point of the "L" against the inside of the case to feel if there is a slight depression, or a rough area that creates additional friction just ahead of the inside of the case-head. Rotate the case and do the same test about 6 times in different areas as you go around checking it. If you feel a rough spot or a depression just ahead of the case head, hit the case hard with a hammer on a solid surface and put it in your recycle bin.

I prefer to start with my own new cases and I check them after each reloading and firing. The .300 RUM is an extreme, high pressure round with considerably more than 60,000 psi in most loadings. Shooting used brass, the history of which you don't know, could result in a ruined rifle and possibly a ruined physiognamy, or worse. Personally, if I didn't know the whole history of the brass, I would prepare the brass for sale as scrap metal, non-ferrous. You may be able to recoup your purchase price in this manner and save a rifle, face, brain, eye, etc. The price of scrap brass is way up right now.

Missoula, MT

LOL. I love your logic. When I explain these things your way to my wife, she sort of twists up her face into a scowl but it is fun anyway. Good luck with the new rifle. J.