Thread: Early offshore fishing

Default Early offshore fishing

Bought a different boat in late September. Have had it on a lake twice, but never the ocean (winter showed up too early). Plan to take it out of Seward or Whittier as soon as Spring shows up. Would like to cruise around and get the feel of the boat, but not get out too far until I know the boat better. I would plan to stay within 10 to 15 miles from Whittier/Seward. Would there be any sense bringing along some fishing gear? I know that isn't far enough to get halibut and the salmon won't be around yet. What are the odds of picking up some Rockfish close in to Seward or Whittier in late April or early May? Any other good ideas? My family loves to fish and it might be hard to tell them we're going cruising with no plans to wet a line.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    Bought a different boat in late September. Have had it on a lake twice, but never the ocean (winter showed up too early). Plan to take it out of Seward or Whittier as soon as Spring shows up. Would like to cruise around and get the feel of the boat, but not get out too far until I know the boat better. I would plan to stay within 10 to 15 miles from Whittier/Seward. Would there be any sense bringing along some fishing gear? I know that isn't far enough to get halibut and the salmon won't be around yet. What are the odds of picking up some Rockfish close in to Seward or Whittier in late April or early May? Any other good ideas? My family loves to fish and it might be hard to tell them we're going cruising with no plans to wet a line.

Thanks
    You can find rockfish at Fox Island, Hive Island, Eldorado Narrows, Thumb Cove, Humpy Cove and all along the shoreline where there are rock faces or kelp beds, just stay away from the bird roosting areas . Once in awhile you can find a king milling around in the same areas in the springtime.

It is always good to bring a rod along. Whitter across from the harbor if you can find the drop offs you can pick up some yellow eyes
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Like Carl Malden (sp?) used to say...

Don't leave home without it! (I think it was an older American Express commercial). Never go anywhere without some fishing gear; even on a drive to Anchorage or anywhere else in Alaska at any time of year. I learned that lesson the hard way; we went to meet our halibut charter in Deep Creek couple years ago, weather too nasty so we drove to Homer and wouldn't you know it, the silvers were going off on the incoming tide into the lagoon and we just happened to be there at the right time, not a stitch of fishing gear for 6 guys; pitiful, absolutely pitiful. We all spent 15.00 per person to rent a crappy rod on the spit, plus had to buy spinners, pixies, bobbers, line, hooks, etc. to try to get a silver. Well, for the 6 of us we got 2 little silvers. Lesson? Had we had some of our own gear, we stood a far better chance to catch a few more. We shoulda just pooled all that money together and sent one guy on a half day trip! My "uncle" Don who watches over our place in Sterling said (something to the effect of) to me upon hearing our day's travels, "What's wrong with you boy? You're in ALASKA! You don't go nowhere without a fishing rod, EVER!"
    Jim

April 15th = 1st day of shrimping season

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I would bet that if you have downriggers on your boat if you go down to Seward you will find a winter king or two cruising by the Sealife Center and farther out near Caine's and Castillo, or troll around the islands. God knows I have gone down there before with the wife in April and limited on Kings in a short amount of time. It shocked me as I was expecting SLOW fishing. Just curious, is it me or are you guys catching a lot of lings down there too? Last year I went out a couple of time and I couldn't keep them off my hook. I of course released all of them, but I thought there were not many in the bay and that is why it is closed.