Thread: What about Rust's flying service

Default What about Rust's flying service

I've been watching threads here keeping my hunting options open and read a few are not too impressed with Rust's. What's the deal there?

They are/were one of the services I was concidering if I do a drop in.

I've used Rust's in the past and they have done what they say they will do. They are a Taxi service...therefore you need to do your homework and let them know where you want to go. If you just tell them a Unit, they like all other taxi services, will drop you off anywhere in the unit that is easiest for them.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default Rust's

I guess they would work if you knew everything about where you were going. You cant rely on them to put you on game or know where the caribou are because like previously stated "there a taxi service". Anytime someone rely's on them to know where to go, and where they will be successful then they come out unhappy. I made that mistake with them many years ago.

Default What do you want to do is the question?

If you want to go fishing and stay a a cabin, I think they might do you very well. Once upon a time when the mulchatna herd was 200,000 plus animals almost any operator could get you into decent numbers. These days you need a little more personalized service. To me researching a hunt is half the fun and if you have until next season you should have plenty of time. Good luck. Just food for thought, half of the float planes in the world are at lake hood and if Rusts can reach the area, so can anyone of the other planes. Any good hunt is 2 planes away from anchorage.

Terry

Rust's doesn't know anything about hunting but if you point on a map where you want to go they will get you there for a fair price and take you back. The pilots are excellent and the planes are in top notch condition.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up Rust

I did a fly-out caribou hunt with Rust in Aug 2000 and back then it was $850 per person (5 day unguided hunt) and they let us take all the gear we wanted and put us on a very good spot.
    They know where the animals are, cause they do alot of bush trips and can't help but to see where their at.
    We didn't see any signs of other humans except for an aircraft flying overhead from time to time in five days.
    I would highly recommend their services. No complaints!

Default Herd Numbers...

Bear Buster - not disagreeing with you, but just making an observation...

Back in 2000, the Mulchatna Herd was so big and prosperous, if you or I had our pilot's license and were skilled enough to fly bush planes, we could have put hunters o the bou. The herd is much different now, broken into smaller groups and way fewer bulls, so it will be much more difficult in 2008 than it was in 2000. Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Bear Buster - not disagreeing with you, but just making an observation...

Back in 2000, the Mulchatna Herd was so big and prosperous, if you or I had our pilot's license and were skilled enough to fly bush planes, we could have put hunters o the bou. The herd is much different now, broken into smaller groups and way fewer bulls, so it will be much more difficult in 2008 than it was in 2000. Just my thoughts.
    I agree. Also they may have a pilot thats a bit more knowledgable then the others or something. I dont know but when I went the pilot just found, and lake - dropped us, and said "caribou should move through here". 7 days later we settle on a cow caribou thats been hanging around a group of alders just to get some meat in the freezer. Saw 1 bull about 2 miles away, and about 6 cows, couple calfs. Found out later that all the caribou were really far north, and weren't due to start showing up in the area we hunted for a couple more weeks. Thats called NOT knowing where the caribou are. Then again he never said he did I just made the mistake of assuming.

Thumbs up Flight services

This is a really good conversation guys!

It should be pointed out that when you plop your money down you can’t assume that that pilot is anything but a bus driver in the sky. I get heart burn from the guys who don’t know where they are hunting because the flight service is going to “Put you down in front of the Herd” This should be a big Red Flag if your flight service tells you that. This will result in you being put down very close to town because the flight service is in the business of making money and a quick trip means more flights per day and increased profits. This doesn’t mean that you wont see animals but if you do some research and ask questions on forms like this and contact guys who live in the area you will be able to make an informed decision on where the animals should be and you will be involved and more happy with your hunt.

I had a customer who used a “Flat Rate” flight service who did not have any idea where he hunted. He showed me his GPS and said we were 28 minutes out of town. He shot an animal but it was not quality or was his experience as the same flight service dropped 2 more groups on his drop site that same week. It is very important to do your homework, read maps, ask lots of questions and tell your flight service what you want and where you would like to hunt. Its important to have a back up plan because the animals may not be where you plan to hunt but to rely upon a flight service 100% is asking to get “Dropped” and you will.

A good rule of thumb is if your flight service will not take the time to talk to you about drop sites or options and provide you with specifics you need to find a flight service who will.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

I believe Rust's have more seasonal pilots and pilots that are looking to build hours more than other owner/pilot operators. Therefore, they may not be as knowledgable as the "other" guys. I have spoken with a few of their pilots and a lot of them come to Alaska just for the summer and possibly the fall to work.

Default DIY Hunts

Quote Originally Posted by whitetailfanatic View Post
    I've been watching threads here keeping my hunting options open and read a few are not too impressed with Rust's. What's the deal there?

They are/were one of the services I was concidering if I do a drop in.
    If you do, a do it yourself hunt, you can't expect your bush pilot to shoot the caribou for you.
    If you don't know what your doing ...get a guide or get educated.
    The service I recieved from Rust was top notch and they were more helpful to me than they had to be.
    Remember.... they're just driving the bus, not shooting caribou for you.
    So to answer your question....someone more than likely had a bad experence because they didn't do their homework.