Thread: Mossberg slug guns

Default Mossberg slug guns

Any stories out there , pro or con , concerning the reliability of Mossbergs ?

My 500 is around 30 years old. Not a speck of bluing left, and the stock would probably be about ready for firewood. I treat it like dirt, cuzz I bought it for abusing it in really tough conditions.

Yet it has never failed me. Reliable as the day is long.

Yeah, Remington 870's are smoother and nicer. But I just never could bring myself to treat one of my 870's like I treat that poor old 500. I bought it kinda figuring that if it lasted 10 years I'd be money ahead compared to ruining an 870. Now it's money WAAAAY ahead. I'm so fond of it I keep thinking about rebluing and restocking, but then what would I do for an ultimate knockaround gun?

Quote Originally Posted by logman View Post
    Any stories out there , pro or con , concerning the reliability of Mossbergs ?
    For the 500, I don't think there are any "cons" only good things about the reliability. As for the other guns they make.. I don't think they even make any other guns
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?

Mossbergs are fine guns. The 500 ratels and clangs like hell but It will take abuse and work when you need it to.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Mossburg 500

I was waiting for someone to say it first, I had one for years, noisiest thing in the world. Never failed to fire when asked though.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I'm not much of a Shoot-Gun man, but isn't that 500, a Pump that has the safety on the TANG?

I always thought that would be a great feature. I think I'd like it better than down on the trigger guard.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default agreed

I had a 500 now a 595, probably the most beaten weapon I have ever owned. The silver matte finish seems as durable as the rest of it. Loaded with 2 3/4" breneke slugs, you got a winning combination
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I'm not much of a Shoot-Gun man, but isn't that 500, a Pump that has the safety on the TANG?

I always thought that would be a great feature. I think I'd like it better than down on the trigger guard.

Smitty of the North
    Right you are. It's nice, what I started with actually. They come a little stiff from the factory now it seems, so you need to work it quite a few times to get it to go good with gloves on. I like the safety on my Benelli better I think. It has a big plate over it, and a huge trigger guard, and is easy to operate with actually pretty heavy gloves on. Except when you break through the ice in a cattail slough pheasant hunting in -20 weather and your glove freezes so that you cant bend you finger to pull the trigger.

I loved my 500 for deer hunting (20 ga). I shot my first buck with it on the 6th shot. Wouldn't get that chance with the Remington, or the Benelli.
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

mnbirddog:
    I checked the Mossberg website about those 500s. It seems that most of them are ported.

Whadaya think about porting? I'm not sure I'd like it, if it increases the noise, or makes it sharper.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    mnbirddog:
    I checked the Mossberg website about those 500s. It seems that most of them are ported.

Whadaya think about porting? I'm not sure I'd like it, if it increases the noise, or makes it sharper.

Smitty of the North
    Never had a ported gun personally. Only fired one rifle that was. Reduced the recoil a lot, increased the sound level substantially.

Hi I have found that porting on the shotguns does not make them much noisier and I feel that the best thing about that porting is the releveing of the pressure before the slug leaves the BBL. and thus has less chance of causing tipping from an uneven slug base' My theory only but I think it pays off. I would never have any porting on any hand gun!! or rifle.

Default New Haven 600

same as a 500 only made even cheaper!! Single arm pump and talk about rattle but when it came to business it never failed yet. It has to be at least 30 yrs old now. Shot quite a few whitetails with it and Remington Copper Solids would group around no more than 2" at 100 yds. 24" ported rifle barrel with scope mount. The ports reduced the recoil substantially. I shot the Copper Solids through a regular barrel and there was a little less noise but a lot more recoil.