Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dg475

Default Dg475

Me and 33% of the AOD community drew DG375. We are all looking for information regarding this hunt. None of us are asking for your sweet spots, just how to get started. It would help us all a great deal if you made all of your posts public so that we can all show up at Kodiak using the same air service (Seahook), in the same drainage, wearing the same threads, using the same tent and sleeping bag, toting the same caliber rifle, on the same day.

So on behalf of myself and the other 33%, we thank you.

PS...I will also have letters out in the mail to all DG475 tag winners requesting video. I hope to mass produce a DG475 video to help benefit future AOD winners. Please don't hate me.

CIAO!

Thumbs up

Now that's funny right there !!!!!!!!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

I drew 475 last year. There are basically three lakes up high tou can get into, above the alders, I've got the maps for the entire area so if you are in or around Anchorage, we can go over them. We went later in the season (15 Sep and had a lot of weather problems plus previous hunters had pushed the goats awayfrom the lakes which made things harder. We did not get a goat due to my knee problems (first hunt since knee surgery and I was very cautious.) Both Seahawk (not Seahook) and Andrews fly into the area. We used Seahawk, Roland band his crew are great.

Default the problem

Jimmy,
    The problem with that unit is the number of tags they are giving out coupled with limited acess points. There are plenty of goats there to be had its just with limted drop off points you will see others. I was there a few yrs ago when the tag number was 70 or so & we still had company but it worked fine.
    You have windy lake ( which is aptly named & can be a prob to get in & out) 629, or the salt. 629 can hold 3 parties at once if each agrees to go a different way & all 3 can suceed & the salt requires a little more brush busting. Eitherway it should be fun. Have fun & hope to see some at the airport

There's one more up higher, Zurnak Lake is what Roland referred to it as.

Not sure why I typed Seahook...must of been thinking about the guys out of Juneau. Yes, Seahawk.

BTW, my entire first post was tongue and cheek. From here on out, post all information about this draw in a private message to me. Consider this a handshake deal that we don't share our info with the rest of the winners. I am an info whore and like all eyes on me. <griin>

Jimmy theres no secrets in DG475 or DG477. There is only a handful of places you can be dropped within reasonable distance to goats. And there will be goat hunters leaving as your coming and coming as your leaving. I drew DG477 last year and made the mistake of wanting a late season coat and I actually met Bill S as he departed Seahawks Beaver. The first groups going in were fairly successful (Aug), the &#37; of success became less as the season went on, especially if you were looking for a good goat. The high lakes are very hard to get into if any weather at all rolls in , as it always does on Kodiak. There were multiple groups waiting to either be picked up or relocated while I sat on Kodiak for 3 days waiting for the weather to break. I am not gonna lie and say it wasn't discouraging as heck knowing I am flying into a lake that has 2 other groups of goat hunters waiting to come out, and they are the 10th group thats been there in teh last month or so. What became clear is that later on in the season be prepared to do some serious spiking several miles away from the drop off spots, that normally hold goats in the immediate area in the early season. Heads up too, there was lots of bear problems for the goat hunters this year, one group in DG475 lost both their goats to a sow with 2 year olds, so bring enough gun! They are giving out lots of tags for that south end because there are so many goats but access is the biggest obstacle because theres only a few places they can land. Good luck to all.

Thanks for the post. I'm willing to gamble the late season hunt. Can't recall the last time I ran my fingers through the "short hairs" of an August goat and said to myself how beautiful it was...borders somewhere along the lines of never.

Will have some contengency plans in my bag of tricks if wx does become a factor. That is unless I am already stuck inside my tent looking at four walls...then I guess I'll just have to man up. Being socked in does suck, but then again, so does being at the house during hunting season........

Default however

Cub, within what you said is the challange & adventure. It may take someone willing to try something new, & find another way to get it done.
    2yrs ago a buddy was successful in the crown mtn area where Roland had never taken anybody & was curious about. They had a plan to hike out ( would have required a lot of effort) if need be. Fortunately they didn't have to.
    I think there was someone on this forum that did the same thing last yr in 474 or 472. It might require someone will to take a chance & be rewarded for their efforts.
    Oh the joy of planning

I'll bring the camcorder Jimmy. I already thought of the goat video. My team from LA is coming up next month to start filming. Congrats on the tag, 375, 475, whatever it is. I'll see you there.

Congrats on your tag, Ken. Whether you kill a goat or not, you're welcome to come over to my campfire. I'll even put a few chunks of meat on a stick for you to roast.

Default Jimmy Urban

Sent you a PM ref DG475.

Default Follow-up info

Jimmy,
    We've talked already. Now that you've drawn, PM me. I hunted 475 last year and drew 476 this year. Maybe we can split some charter fees depending on where you go and when.

Mike

Default But Jim

How can I take you on fishless ventures on the Parks if your heading so darn South to hunt this year.

Congrats on the permit dude! As always if there is anything you require that I can help with shoot me a note.

P.S.

Lets talk bou float in 2010 knowing you your planning that far out.

Blue Moose!

Another DG475'er here... I just dropped the big coin and bought Seahawks Beaver for the entire month of September Just kidding.

Default Dg475

Anyone doing DG475 alone?

I was going to. Then I read all the threads about all the bears. I'm not chicken, but I'm not stupid either. I just found out one of my buddies drew also so I should have a partner already.

We didn't have any bear problems, although we saw signs, until the other group on the lake decided to grill polish sausage on the last night. As you can image, it made the bears come around. I think I was in the sleeping bag a whole two minutes when the other camp started yelling there was a bear in camp. (DG 475) Be careful and keep a clean camp, and don't bbq

Default South end goats

We drew the south end last year, we went the 1st week of Sept. The hair on our goats was just fine, not thin or short. No Nov coat but I think you would have a hard time tellling the difference between a 5 sept goat and a 25 sept goat.

When you go later the weather really begings to turn bad and the number of preavious hunters will make things much more difficult

Default Dg475

Me and my partner drew this tag also...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast