Thread: Gun smith

Default Gun smith

I need to lighten the triger pull on mr savage 22. Does anyone have a prefered smith in Anchorage?
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Stan Jackson is the only one that I will use, and he's been my gun smith for nearly 20 years. Phone/FAX 349-3854; Cell 250-0252

Default smith

Stan Jackson is a fine gunsmith, but just for another option, you might try Vince Baldauf at Precision Arms.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Stan is a good trigger man, I reckon.

I bought myself a "project gun". (At a gun show, of course) I have to call it that because it wasn't exactly pretty.

Anyway, it is a Savage 340, and the trigger pull was HORRIBLE. I'll just say, it had every problem that a trigger could have.

I took it to Stan Jackson and asked him if it could be improved. I was thinking that on a cheap rifle like that, I might have to learn to live with a lousy trigger, and maybe it wasn't the type that could be fixed up.

He said he ought to be able to do it some good, but indicated that it might not be as good as other triggers he did for me.

I'm not only surprised, but I'm very pleased with the results. That trigger is really good now.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Andy Hawk is another great Anchorage Smith and he is in the phone book. As a matter of fact, I just came from his place yesterday and picked up my Winchester 94 trapper that he did some trigger work to and installed a Pachmeyer recoil pad. His work, was exactly as I expected...........perfect. Trigger job + cut stock & install recoil pad, including price of pad = $140. He had it two weeks as I had told him I was in no hurry and to just get to it when he got to it. I have been using Andy's services for over a decade now, and although I am confident Stan Jackson does fine work, I have no reason to look any further than Andy.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Smitty of the north, I also bought an old Savage gun but it was actually the Stevens 325 chambered in 30/30. I lucked out and it has a really nice trigger already. I am in the process of refinishing the stock and will then have Andy put a Pachmeyer pad on it. Should make an awesome rifle for one of the boys when they are a bit older! Pretty interesting little thing, being a bolt action, clip fed 30/30, but it shoots good and is nice and compact with a 20" barrel. I dont think it had ever been fired and looked brand new when I bought it last year for $150. pretty amazing since I think it was made in the 50's. The stock was way to chunky and thick in the forarm, so I have taken nearly 1/2" off the thickness to make it easier for small hands to hold onto.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Stan Jackson is the only one that I will use, and he's been my gun smith for nearly 20 years. Phone/FAX 349-3854; Cell 250-0252

Thanks I will give him a call.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

Tanks again to those who recomended Stan Jackson. He did a great job on my gun.

Anyone have any rifles rebarreled by Stan? If so, how long did you have to wait?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Anyone have any rifles rebarreled by Stan? If so, how long did you have to wait?
    I did, and I didn't have to wait long. I dis-remember, but it was probably a week or two before I called him and asked about it, and it was done.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.