Thread: Guide & Charter in Dutch Harbor?

Default Guide & Charter in Dutch Harbor?

I was thinking of flying a buddy (both residents) up with me to visit Dutch in mid-late April. I may have been reading F&G regs incorrectly, but I THOUGHT I saw "no closed season" and "harvest" for Caribou in GMU 10... did I read that right? Are there so many that there's no closure, or are there so few that you never see them out there?

Anyone know of a decent guide out that way? We'd also like to fish (halibut, rock, sable, winter/spring Kings?) but it will be a short trip - 3-5 days max, depending on weather, of course.

Input?

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My understanding of the no limit caribou is there are more than the island can support. Lots of nonresidents hunt it in the fall and get average sized racks. Obviously you could care less about the racks at that time of year. I belive the herd is healthy but there are no "big"bulls. sorry I could not be more help.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    My understanding of the no limit caribou is there are more than the island can support. Lots of nonresidents hunt it in the fall and get average sized racks. Obviously you could care less about the racks at that time of year. I belive the herd is healthy but there are no "big"bulls. sorry I could not be more help.
    That's kinda what I suspected. Us SE folks just aren't used to seeing no limit / no closure hunts.

You're right... It would actually be a meat harvesting mission... Fish a day or two for halibut, and shoot (not from the boat) any stray caribou that might happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Unfortunately there are no big game animals on Unalaska Island (where Dutch Harbor is located). The main caribou herds hunted in Unit 10 are on Unimak and Adak. Adak is accessed via Ak Air from Anchorage and Unimak from Cold Bay via costly air charter. There is also a reindeer herd on Umnak. Permission to kill a few is probably obtainable from the owners. As far as sport fishing in Dutch Harbor, Dave Magone is probably your best bet. There are no air charters that operate out of Dutch Harbor except for Pen Air and they are very reluctant to do water landings with their goose(s) except in certain areas.

I didn't look into any big game hunting when I was out there - mostly because all the locals laughed at me when I asked them!! But the halibut fishing from Dutch Harbor is beyond belief!! Our skipper told us (we chartered the entire boat - a 6 pack) that anything under 100lbs goes back into the water. We kinda chuckled and said OK. Everyone threw back the first few sub 100lb'ers we caught because he was so sure. Sure enough when we got to the "hot" hole we all had 150-250 lbs on and went back to the hole once again we had all the fish onboard again at 150-275 lbs. WOW!! The only hard part is paying for the meat to be shipped back to Anch. I have another job this spring in Dutch and will be looking at the ferry schedule for transporting my meat back to Anch.

dave

I definitely agree with recommending Dave Magone. I fished two days with him last Aug ('07) and did very well. I don't see any reason why they don't raise the limit to at least three around Dutch Harbor... I caught around 25 (combined) during my two outings. I never caught a giant though... two biggest were "only" 40 and 69 pounds (another guy caught a 98 and a 103). The number of other species was a real bonus... black sea bass, Pacific ocean perch, Pacific cod, arrowtooth flounder, and Irish Lords. Yes, I know the flounder and Irish Lords are not good to eat but it's still fun to catch such a variety (to me anyway). One guy on our boat caught what could've very well been the world record (rod 'n reel) Pacific cod. His fish was between 35 and 36 inches and had a big gut... I really would have bet on it beating the 32-pound record. But the guy didn't want to mess with racing back to port... *I know some will read this and want to claim the record is far higher than 32. Well as far as sport fishing goes, 32 is the record (unless record has been broken in just the last couple of months).
    *Record was caught off Unalaska by the way.

I'm told the silver salmon run is supposed to be awesome in two Unalaska rivers starting around Sept. 10 so I'm hoping to plan my Unalaska trip for then next year.

As far as I can tell, the only guide options last summer in Unalaska were Dave, Tammy Peterson, and paying $3K or $4K (literally) for a Grand Aleutian Hotel all-inclusive group package: couple of guided trips, four or five nights in their hotel, meals in their restaurant, etc. It is by far the nicest place to stay but at $199 a night it definitely oughta be. But I came in late one night and was able to get the counter guy to give me a discount... I ended up paying $122. The Grand's "sister" hotel is the Unisea Inn. It's "only" around $100 a night but I've read some pretty negative reviews about it (kind of dirty and it's right in the middle of the commercial fishing processing areas).

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Unfortunately there are no big game animals on Unalaska Island (where Dutch Harbor is located). The main caribou herds hunted in Unit 10 are on Unimak and Adak. Adak is accessed via Ak Air from Anchorage and Unimak from Cold Bay via costly air charter. There is also a reindeer herd on Umnak. Permission to kill a few is probably obtainable from the owners. As far as sport fishing in Dutch Harbor, Dave Magone is probably your best bet. There are no air charters that operate out of Dutch Harbor except for Pen Air and they are very reluctant to do water landings with their goose(s) except in certain areas.