Thread: Hunter Ed in Schools

Default Hunter Ed in Schools

Finally, reason is proposed as a cure for fear. I'm sure the anti's will flame this legislator, but I looks like W. VA is becoming a hot-bed of progressive thought. Now if they only been so reasonable toward Rich Rodriquez.

How many of you think that it's about time more legislation like this was proposed and enacted?

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer55 View Post
    Finally, reason is proposed as a cure for fear. I'm sure the anti's will flame this legislator, but I looks like W. VA is becoming a hot-bed of progressive thought. Now if they only been so reasonable toward Rich Rodriquez.

How many of you think that it's about time more legislation like this was proposed and enacted?

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

I saw that this morning as well. I had to laugh, not at the point of the education, but the fact it is West Virginia. I still remember crashing at a motel there for several hours after a long day on the road.

One of the rules of the room was specifically not to clean or dress your deer or fish in the room. They had specific areas outside for that.
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Default Great Idea!

A great idea, I'm sure it won't last. Too many antis will be sure to stamp that one out before it catches on. I took my hunter safety course in school while in junior high. It was an elective course, a mini session, that we could take. It was a neat idea then and I still think it's a good idea.

Woody

Default Endorsed by a 17-year-old!

I asked my son what he thought about this, and he said having the course as a high school elective would be popular among many of his friends. We're signed up for the March hunter ed course at the RC range and what he noticed as he looked through the materials is that a lot of what's presented is solid information for all sorts of outdoor pursuits, not just hunting. So make us +2 for the idea of adding it to the school curriculum.

I grew up in Alabama. In 8th grade everyone had to take 1 semester of Ag and 1 semester of Home Ec. In your semester of Ag you had to learn wood shop, metal shop, tree and plant identification, the 16 parts of the inch and hunter ed. Hunter ed was required. If you did not pass the test then you did not pass the class.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Good idea...

It's a great idea and I wish it would go even further. I'd like to see firearms safety education at the elementary school level. That would beat mandatory gun locks on reducing accidents with uneducated kids playing with guns. I don't expect it to be the anti-gun crowd to oppose the hunter ed classes as much as the anti-hunting crowd (PETA, FOA, etc.).

Interestingly enough, way back in my Jr. high days, there was a History of Firearms class and it was the single most popular class (amongst boys) in the school. There were only so many slots and they filled up fast with many people turned away. During the semester long class, there was a lot of classroom time devoted to learning the history of the gun, then the class moved on to actually building a muzzle loading rifle from a kit. I still have my .50 cal Hawken rifle from Thompson Center that I built in that class. At the end of the school year, there was a field trip to the range where the students from both semesters got to shoot their rifles and participate in a competition. The top scores got prizes that included black powder accessories like leather range bags, powder horns, bullets, etc. It was a very cool class and I wish they still taught it, but it went away when the liberals took over the school district a couple decades ago.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Good stories guys...

I support firearm safety being taught in the schools.

I'll add that my first NRA gun safety class was taught at my elementary school. I was in 6th grade, and I still have the patch. That was a bunch of years ago in farm country in the midwest. We shot .22's as part of the class...and we shot them in the multipurpose room of the school (on Saturday). The targets were affixed to plywood coverings over old tractor tires that were filled with sand. I was scared to death on the first shot, fearing that I would miss that big tractor tire (at 25 yards), and put a hole in the wall of our lunch room...and just for the record I hit the target, not the wall (thought I'd beat a few of you to the punch line).

You know, if we want to see firearm safety taught in the schools, we're going to have to attend some school board meetings and make our points known. Got to admit that I've not done that.