Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Creek Conditions

Default Jim Creek Conditions

Went up to the Glacier yesterday on snowmachine. Saw one other truck up there. Not much water anywhere. Some atv tracks, snow isn't deep but probably slow going on atv, not bad just not as good as snowfree. Cold. -20 yesterday and the same temp today on the river.

Holy Smokes that's pretty chilly . We plan on on going out there tomorrow......
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

I live down here too, and the thermometer reads -18 below right now. It was -25 below this morning when I woke up, and it looks like it's going to be another clear night. Bundle up. On the plus side, the sun should actually hit the ground this week on my property for the 1st time in 3 months.
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

I plan to be out there too, on my new Grizzly. Looks like I made a good choice getting heated grips and throttle! It might become the warm-up loaner tomorrow.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default Colder than a well diggers.....at Jim Creek

So AKSoldier on the new grizz 700, Pete on the PoPo 700, Little Rod on the 700, HouseHold 6 on the PoPo 800 and I on the 500 X2 made it out to the glacier. We actually made it across Metal Creek thanks to some big rigs. We just followed their tracks. We had a nice warm lunch up Friday Creek on top of a hill then went on to the glacier. We saw a couple trucksat the bottom of the hill of where the cabins were. We watched them get 'unstuck' going across metal creek. I was a really cold day. Not sure of what the temp was but it was cold. It was even warmer next to the glacier. That's where my fingers thawed out. From there we headed back to the parking area. Saw about 4 snowmachines on the way back. It was a good ride.

Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

Went riding up Jim Creek today and then went to the glacier and back. Temps were perfect (teens) and the snow levels are 6 inches or less in most areas. We did break ice on Jim Creek several times but nothing hazardous (3 - 4 inches at most). Wind picked up after noon and visibility was and issue a few times but no problems 90% of the time. WARNING!!!!...When crossing Jim Creek be careful. Stay towards the trees and go slow. There is a piece of metal (or something like that) under the snow that took out two of my tires on the return trip. I swung out wide to the left (river side) just prior to crossing Jim Creek on the way back to the trucks because I could not see due to blowing snow from other ATVs in our group. I saw something in the snow at the last minute as I crossed Jim Creek, but it was too late. I hit pretty hard but didn't stop. I was back at the parking lot loading my Grizzly when I realized I blew out both left side tires. Other than that, the ride was great. The creeks are solid for the most part but we did find water (under the ice) in a few spots. You can see where people have broke through. I am glad I was not in the Rhino today. It would have been a long day. Riding is great but watch for thinning ice.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Default Jim Creek Update???

Looking for any words on Jim Creek since last Saturday. We want to ride on Saturday but all the warm weather has had to have made an impact on the creeks. If anyone has been out there since Saturday please update on conditions. Thanks!!!!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

dws, your pm box is full.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    dws, your pm box is full.
    It's cleared

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    Looking for any words on Jim Creek since last Saturday. We want to ride on Saturday but all the warm weather has had to have made an impact on the creeks. If anyone has been out there since Saturday please update on conditions. Thanks!!!!
    I can tell you this. There are NEVER any conditions that can stop two people [familiar with the area] on 4wheelers with winches from reaching to at least the lake in front of the glacier in winter/spring (other than TOO DEEP snow). The JC crossing gets some people in trouble, bust a hole and get in 3-4 feet of water. People who don't know the proper lines to cross in summer, haven't a clue in winter. Neoprene chest waders are a must IMO riding up there in these spring time conditions.
    Looking out my window up the Knik River valley the conditions are lotta bare ground , ice and water

I was there again this last monday and after just two days of warm weather it was like night and day from our ride Saturday. Lots of bare ground along the river, Lots of ice and standing water everywhere.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    I can tell you this. There are NEVER any conditions that can stop two people [familiar with the area] on 4wheelers with winches from reaching to at least the lake in front of the glacier in winter/spring (other than TOO DEEP snow). The JC crossing gets some people in trouble, bust a hole and get in 3-4 feet of water. People who don't know the proper lines to cross in summer, haven't a clue in winter. Neoprene chest waders are a must IMO riding up there in these spring time conditions.
    Looking out my window up the Knik River valley the conditions are lotta bare ground , ice and water
    dws,

Thanks for the report. I agree...knowing where to cross JC is everything. I know the lines needed and I think I will take your advise on the chest waders. I'll have my camera and post pictures if things get "stupid"...and they always do in my group! Thanks again.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    I was there again this last monday and after just two days of warm weather it was like night and day from our ride Saturday. Lots of bare ground along the river, Lots of ice and standing water everywhere.
    AKsoldier,

How was the ice at the crossing on Jim Creek on Monday?
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Well, keep in mind I am not the best judge of ice conditions. I've only been riding here for half a season. I did get a bit nervous though, since I could feel tires alternately "sinking" from time to time. I tried to pick the most solid-looking line across though, and there was plenty of other traffic out there taking different lines. no one had any trouble, including three full-sized 4X4 trucks.

Default jim creek conditions

I just got back from flying over knik about an hour ago. Looks pretty bare down on the river area. We did see a couple of spots of open water so be careful when crossing.

The only animals we saw were sheep down just inside the tree line.

AKHunter and AKsoldier,

Thanks for the words. I will try to post an update on Sunday from our ride.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Default Jim Creek/Knik Glacier trail update

Well, the parking lot is an icy mess (had a hard time just standing up without bracing against the truck or trailer) and the main trail leading to the flats isn't any better. Once on the flats it is smooth sailing to Jim Creek. There is no snow at all other than in the woods and shaded areas. There was a lot of overflow on Jim Creek on Saturday. There is a solid ice layer to drive on (even trucks were able to cross) with about 12-14 inches of overflow water and ice on top. You can see where people are crossing. No drop offs on that path as of 4pm Saturday. After Jim Creek, it is smooth all the way out to the wooded trail leading to Wolf Point. Once inside the woods on that trail the ice becomes an issue again. Lots of water puddles along the trail as well. We had a hard time staying on the trail in a few spots because we just couldn't get traction. Both buddies I rode with ended up smacking a couple of trees on the trail. There is just no good way to stop with wet tires on ice. There were sheep out on the flats at the trail head at Wolf Point. They didn't really seem to be bothered by us. We took a few pictures and then headed out to the glacier. The weather was awesome. Warm temps, clear skies, and no wind. Coming back, I noticed the overflow was starting to freeze up again at Jim Creek. We saw about 30 folks riding around out there enjoying the day. No one acting stupid and even the folks shooting guns (safely) stopped when ever anyone drove near to them. Big thanks to them for shooting responsibly!

Here are a couple of pictures from the ride...

2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

More pictures....

2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Last one...

2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Great pictures! It's been awhile since I have seen sheep down that low.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast