Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .325 Wsm

Default .325 Wsm

I am considering buying a .325 WSM and I was looking at the Kimber 8400 Montana and the Browning A-Bolt Stainless. Anyone have experience/thoughts on the Montana, the A-Bolt, or the .325 WSM?

Talk to SNYD...I know he has one...he harps on that thing all the time. The montana is a really light weight rifle, I just got my boy a .260 rem. in the montana, they are nice rifles! go to a dealer and hold one...Its hard to find, because sportsmans only carry small quantities but you can order them through a dealer and could take 6-8 weeks.

Go with the Montana! Too many better features in favor of the Montana to compare them.

I really like my 325 A-bolt II stainless stalker! The tang safety, 60* bolt box mag and oversized bolt release amongst other things make for a really nicely laid out weapon. I have handled the Montana also and they are sweet as well I would love one in 270 for sheep but for all around use I would take the little bit of extra weight and go with the A-bolt.

i would go with the Kimber. It's as close to a custom rifle as you can buy off the shelf from a major manufacturer. Good choice of caliber too, the 8MM bore bridges the .308 to .338 gap nicely.

I had a 325 WSm in a Browning A-Bolt early last summer. I really liked it,shot great (200gr Barnes TSX's) but the muzzle jump was out of control. It would throw the barrel 6-8" up after every shot. The recoil was not bad,less then a 338. I sold it because I didnt want the barrel jump affecting a follow-up shot while hunting Goats this past fall.

Great caliber though, I have thought about buying another but I still have a 300 SAUM so the difference is not that much too me.

Tim
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

Default .325 muzzle jump.

I have seen "muzzle brakes" designed with slots or holes only on the top, and not angled back, just for controlling "muzzle jump". In fact, there seemed to be a number of them at the range I used to shoot at. They aren't as loud as the big, recoil-reducing models. They are used on centerfire .22s by varmint hunters to hold the scope on the target after the shot. I have seen them on larger bores also, tjknavel, just for the purpose you mentioned. They may be only regionally popular and made by a few gunsmiths.
    Jack.

Default Browning A-Bolt

I have three Browning A-Bolts so I would have to admit I biased, but I would go with the Browning again. To each his own. I agree, the Kimber's are nice, but they are several hundred dollars more money too. If I was willing to pony-up the money for a Kimber I would add a couple hundred more for a Browning titanium model in 300 WSM for sheep and goats. My two cents worth.

Woody

Thanks for the info. I don't know if I can go wrong with either one, not a lot bad said about either. A friend of mine (a county sheriff) swears by Kimber pistols, but I don't know anybody personally that owns a Kimber rifle. I own a Browning BAR in .300 Win Mag and love it, but it gets heavy at times on long hunts.

I had the kimber montana 325 WSM and really liked it. You can get the barrel magnaported to get rid of the barrel jump if you find it to be a problem. I would definately go with the kimber!!

Quote Originally Posted by tjkanavel View Post
    I had a 325 WSm in a Browning A-Bolt early last summer. I really liked it,shot great (200gr Barnes TSX's) but the muzzle jump was out of control. It would throw the barrel 6-8" up after every shot. The recoil was not bad,less then a 338. I sold it because I didnt want the barrel jump affecting a follow-up shot while hunting Goats this past fall.

Great caliber though, I have thought about buying another but I still have a 300 SAUM so the difference is not that much too me.

Tim
    My A-bolt will be going in to be Magna-ported the beginning of march and from what I have heard the Kimber jumps as well. I know Snyd had his magnaported.

Thumbs up

I bought a .325 WSM in a Browning Stainless/Synthetic BLR last summer and topped it off with a Leupold VX-III in 2.5-8x. The gun shoots great and recoil is very tolerable, but everyone is absolutely correct in their comments regarding the muzzle jump. It is more gun than I need for deer hunting in the East, but I really bought it to take out West and to Alaska. I did manage to take two deer while still hunting in a snowstorm late in the season (you can't just buy a new gun and expect it to be OK with just sitting in the gun safe until next season- it isn't good for it's self esteem!). The bullets penetrated through both deer and were not recovered. That being said, it didn't blow them up and damage alot of meat either. Very versatile cartridge and perfect medicine for hunting in areas that offer a combination of short and long range shots- fairly fast, hard hitting, and flat shooting.

Being a lefty, I didn't have the option of a .325 in the stainless stalker- but own several browning a-bolts and love them to death! I happen to prefer the shorter bolt-throw, tang safety and the detachable box magazine, though. Just my opinion. I know many here think quite highly of the Kimbers as well, but I have no opinion of them since they don't offer anything for us southpaws! Regardless of which rifle you choose, I don't think you can go wrong. As I said earlier, the recoil is not bad at all, but the muzzle jump is a bit disconcerting, and I can see where it could be a real problem in certain situations calling for a fast follow up shot. I really need to get my gun out to mag-na-port soon.

Now if only those ammunition manufacturers would start offering more loads for the 325... I'd love to see how some of the other factory loads shoot out of my 325... sigh... I guess I need to bite the proverbial bullet and quit my job so I have some time to start handloading, huh?

Good luck, I can think of worse things to have to choose between!

I have a Kimber in .325 on it's way, as soon as it gets here I am shipping it off to get a muzzle brake.
    I been told that Bob Hart www.rwhart.com has a really good brake, has anyone had any experience with his, Mag-na-ports one or someone else's?

I have owned Kimber Montanas in all four of the WSMs. I tried all of the WSM and SAUMs and concluded that generally I like the short mag class of cartridges (with some reservations mainly concerning feeding issues). I have shot both factory fodder and handloaded for all of these cartridges. The most positive attributes of the short mags are that they are available in usually lighter short action rifles with better accuracy but not quite the capability of their full length magnum counterparts.

The only WSM I still have left is the 325. I have two rifles chambered for this cartridge. The Kimber Montana and a Nosler 48 Custom Sporter. I like the 325, I may well stick with it for a while as I find it fills a particular niche in my battery. Although it can't equal a 338 the short 8mm mag gives a bit over a 300 and I figure that is not a bad place to be. Because factory loadings are so limited (and likely are to continue to remain), I believe the 325WSM much like the 350 Rem Mag will continue to best be a handloaders' proposition.

It has taken me over a year but I have actually grown rather fond of the 325WSM. I am well versed with the capabilities and limitations of the 325WSM. One negative is the lack of variety in 8mm bullets. I have mainly loaded 200GR Nosler Partitions, Accubonds, and Barnes TSX. My present belief is that to achieve full potential out of the 325 one should shoot 220GR bullets. If I only want to shoot 200s, I will shoot a 30cal magnum. My present load development is with 220GR Swift A-Frames. To me it really comes down to the fact that I can drive 220s out of a 325WSM with about the same velocity as I can a 225 out of a 338WM. Consider that you can accomplish this with a tad less recoil (if that is a concern) and get the 325 in a package that can weigh approximately one pound lighter than most 338WMs.

Now as far as rifles chambered in 325WSM other than a few customs the Kimber and Browning are about it in production. I can't speak to the Browning but I have a lot of experience with Kimbers. For the money Kimber 8400 Montanas are a good value. They were designed around the WSM class of cartridges and are a real decent rifle. Advertising aside don't believe all of Kimber's hype. It is a real stretch to say that these rifles have match grade chambers and barrels. What they do present are a trim, light, good handling package in controlled round feed action, stocked in a much better than average synthetic stock with a good trigger and usually pretty good accuracy. I have to agree with the negative drawbacks of the light barrels. Kimbers trim weight with light barrel and stock. Not that the 325WSM recoil is all that stout but, the Kimber stock does an adequate job of controlling it. I find the muzzle jump of the Kimbers light barrel takes some getting used to. My Kimber (rifle dry weight is 6lbs) and my Nosler weighs about 1/2 pound more and all that weight is in the PacNor #3 barrel. I find the Nosler much more shootable. Rifles like most things in life are a compromise. Sorry for the ramble, but in retrospect I have to say what draws me to the 325WSM are some of the same attributes(minus the belt) that initially drew me to the 350RM. I'm a fan.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Savage does chamber their rifles in 325 WSm as well. A little heavier then the Kimbers and Brownings, but also a ot less money.

I talked to Snyd about the Magna-Porting but decided not too. I still have my 300 SAUM and it does enough for me. If I need bigger I have always wanted a 350 Rem Mag (dont you just love all these choices we have now ?)

Tim
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

Default 325wsm

Never could understand why the 325WSM and not the 338. Have several WSM cartridges from 7 to 338. There are way more bullet choices in the 338 caliber for the reloader.

Browning or Kimber would be my Choice for a light weight mountain rifle for everything. SInce the barrel making crew (8) and the head gunsmith left Montana 6-8 months ago, I would suspect the quality until I inspect a new one.

Ron Bartletts Vais brake hands down is the best overall brake I have ever used. Followed closely by the Holland Quick Discharge. Magna-port does a good job with muzzle rise but does not come close to the above mentioned brakes. I have hunted exclusively with handguns for a couple decades so have given most brake makers a test. My 35 Newton and 416 Taylors shoot very pleasantly with the Vais brake. (16.6" barrels)

Neal

maganaport is a great alternative to a muzzle brake and tames the muzzle jump nicely. For those who don't know, only Mag-Na-Port does it. www.magnaport.com
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

My lefty Savage 16 barrel is on it's way to get magaported as we speak. I sent it out today to bet exact. I shot my buddies A-bolt 325wsm after he bought it and the muzzle jump was pretty high but the recoil wasn't bad at all. So I sent my barrel out before I even mounted my scope or took a shot. I can't wait to get it back and start shooting and get it ready for spring bear.

Default 325 Wsm

Hey -
    Has anybody shot one of these - either handloads or factory- over a chrono? I'm interested to hear what your results are.

Thanks

Tom
    Last edited by Tom L; 02-06-2008 at 20:37. Reason: fix typo

Snyd,
    I know this is a really old thread, but I'm considering a Kimber Montana and also considering magna porting. How much difference in noise did you notice? Is the gun quite a bit louder? Thanks

Ryan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast