Thread: Bullet seating question

Default Bullet seating question

How important is it to set the bullet on top of a case in a straight-up fashion? Will the bullet seater make up for small tilts or lack of squareness OK, or should I be really careful to get the bullet as straight as possible before running it into the seating die?

Thanks,
    Brian

The seating stem in the die should straighten the bullet out as it seats it in the case, but i always try to start the bullet as straight in the case as i can. Several die makers offer benchrest type dies that have a spring loaded plunger type assembly that aids in guiding the bullet straighter into the case before it reaches the seating stem. Before benchrest dies got more popular and cheaper, it was suggested to seat the bullet a little and then rotate the case inside the die about a quarter to half a turn and then finish seating the bullet. This would supposedly make up for any lack of squareness.

After reloading a round roll it across a flat surface and watch it carefully. If you notice any bullet run out something is amiss.
    They sell gauges to measure run out but the human eye is capable of seeing even small differences. But even then it determines if you are reloading for benchrest shooting or plinking or hunting.
    But do try to start the bullet as straight as you can.
    Tennessee

Thanks, guys. I'll try the turning trick next time around (in addition to putting the bullets onto the case as straight as I can.)

Brian

When I seat bullets I seat the bullet about half way then I turn the case in the shell holder about 180 then continue too the bottom of the press stroke.
    I just figured it would give equal on bothe sides as the bullet was seated.

md