Thread: Fishing AK vs. British Columbia

Default Fishing AK vs. British Columbia

I am looking for some advice from the experts here on this forum!!

I have fished in Sitka, and Campbell River BC. From my experience, Sitka was much better fishing. I have heard that if you want to fish BC you must go to the West side of Vancouver Island...Tofino, Ucluelet etc.???

How would you compare the fishing in BC to Alaska?

Speaking of Alaska, if you could spend 2 months each summer...what part of Alaska would be the fisherman's paradise. I hear Kodiak with few crowds and many species...Kenai/Homer/Soldotna with the variety of species of salmon/halibut. SE alaska??

Do most folks who get to spend part of the summer in AK have cabins? Condos? RV's? Live aboard boats? What seems to be the most common, and of course affordable??

Thanks so much

First of all, you were fishing Campbell River and it is no longer good fishing at all. Over fished!! You want to go north to Port Hardy/Winter Harbour. I guide up there, wayyyyyy better fishing, and you can ask anyone, I'm not just saying that cause I guide up there lol. It is all about if the person you are fishing with knows where to go...many don't, some do. We had 3 seperate groups come up this year who went to both the Kenai and with us, and said they caught a lot more Kings with us, and limited out on their hali: so better fishing where we are. However, for the giant hali's alaska is prob better, I will admit. In my opinion, not as tasty, hard to cook as they are so thick as well.

But do not compare Campbell River and Sitka....Campbell River really doesn't represent BC fishing well.

Cheers,
    David

I'd spend my time in the Alaska Range on the west side, actually I do, life is good
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default On the harvest...

I have found that the big difference between the fisheries is allowance if you are after meat. In the USA, you can bring back your daily possessions, unlimited days, limited only by your commons sense. In Canada, you can bring back only one day's possession, regardless of days.

For the meat harvester, the choice then becomes obvious...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Thumbs down Too much?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAuthor View Post
    I have found that the big difference between the fisheries is allowance if you are after meat. In the USA, you can bring back your daily possessions, unlimited days, limited only by your commons sense. In Canada, you can bring back only one day's possession, regardless of days.

What constitutes "common sense" for a "meat harvester"? How much meat can one use?

Alaska should have export limits for nonresidents as does Canada. At our local FedEx and the Kenai airport, I've seen positively obscene amounts of fish being taken home by summer visitors. No way on the Lord's green earth anyone can use that much fish. They're selling it or giving it away.

Alaska recognizes the principle of "too much" in that resident Personal Use fisheries are conducted in terms of limits. We should establish export limits for our summer visitors as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAuthor View Post

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Actually that is untrue. You are allowed 2 days daily catch. 4 Kings, 4 other salmon, and the daily catch is 2 Kings and 2 other salmon per day, which is much more generous than places like the Kenai. Plus 2 halibut per day, 3 possession limit. Lingcod varies from 1 a day, 2 possession, to 3 a day, 6 possession depending on where you are. However, if you eat the fish or get them processed, you are allowed to go out and catch more. Total of 30 Kings per year...which is crazy to think why someone would need that many in the first place. better than the limit of 1 a day at the kenai that is for sure. Plus, we usually have about 3-4 species available at a time to catch....whereas it seems in Alaska you either hit a run of Kings, or a run of Sockeye, or a run of Coho etc. Just my 2 cents.

Also, residents are allowed to keep catching as many halibut, bottomfish and salmon other than Kings as they want as long as they take them back to their place of residence (which is on their fishing license).