Thread: Good Wather P22 post!!

About 18 miles east of the nut farm in Orgun

Default Good Wather P22 post!!

so My son wants one of these 22's I know nothing about them. How do you like them? Problems?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I've heard a couple of good reports from people who owned them.

Some say that the early ones had problems, but the later ones are OK.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a later made version, and I have been considering it.

If you haven't already, you can do an Internet Search.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

About 18 miles east of the nut farm in Orgun

Tanks Smitty!!!!!!!!!!!!1

The early ones did have problems, mine is one of them. My friends all love theirs though, and havent had any problems. It is a fun little plinker! Its not as accurate as a Ruger or Browning, but it is small and light, easy to carry around.

Default Walther P-22s Breakage-

I saw a few threads on rimfire central mentioning that their slides had completely broken and one gent got whacked in the face with the rearward chunk of slide.

It also was mentioned that neither S&W or Walther actually manufacture the cast ZINC slide or the gun but is built by a subcontractor somewhere.

I've had one for about 2 years now. I got the basic short-barrel version. It's a fun little pistol... and it is little. Tough to get big hands wrapped around the tiny grip. They have a magazine that has an added finger groove extension to the grip. That's the mag I like as your little finger is hanging off in space without it. Mine came with 1 standard and 1 extended grip mag. For the price, I think it is a pretty good pistol and I don't regret the purchase.

On the plus side, it has controls that mimic a typical duty-carry auto. That makes it nice for cheap, recoil-free practice. It's pretty accurate as well and has standard 3-dot duty type sights.

It has double strike capability. With el cheapo ammo, you can sometimes get a failure to fire, but a second strike on the same round will usually fire it.

The front of the frame has a rail, so you can actually mount a light or laser accessory on it.

It has a factory threaded barrel and there are silencers made specifically for this gun... if you want to pay 4 times the gun's price for a silencer and tax stamp.

On the negative side, there are a number of things I can think of right off. The mags are only 10 rounds, which makes for a lot of reloading. It takes considerably longer to load those little mags than it does to empty them.

It's very hard to find a holster small enough to fit this gun right. The only holster I've found so far is an Uncle Mikes pancake style belt slide in Size 16.

Field stripping is not too hard, but getting it back together is, thanks to a non-captured recoil spring. A wrench (comes with gun) is needed to get the nut off the end of the barrel for a full field strip.

There is a roll pin at the rear of the slide within the safety lever recess. This pin, at least on my gun, has a tendency to shift while shooting. Eventually, one side is sticking out far enough that the ambi-safety lever will catch on it. Drift it back in and you're good for another one or two hundred rounds before it is poking out again.

Another item is the finish nut on the end of the threaded barrel. It tends to loosen up, so you just need to keep an eye on it while shooting. This nut must be removed to field strip the gun, so it's not a spot you can just locktight and forget about.

An annoyance is that you cannot operate the trigger, and thereby drop the hammer, without a magazine in the gun.

This gun doesn't like dirt, and more specifically it hates sand. At one range session, I had set the gun down empty and with the slide locked back on the tail gate of my pickup. While I was pulling my range bag over to get at my ammo supply, it bumped the gun and knocked it off the tailgate onto the ground. The range I was on was pure sand, so it was like dropping the thing on the beach. I field stripped it and cleaned it the best I could at the range, but couldn't get it clean enough for the slide to even work. I ended up taking it down quite a ways at home and using action blaster to get all the crap out of there.

So, yes there are a few negative points, but they are all manageable as long as you are aware of them and take good care of the gun.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I agree with JOAT, it has it's good and bad points. I bought my wife one a couple of years back and fell in love with it. We have not had any problem with it other than a bad mag that came with it, wich the shop I bought it from gladly replaced. I sneek it out of the house everytime I am going to fire pistols at the range. When shooting large calibres, it is nice to pick up the little P22 and see real quick if you are anticipating recoil. I plan to shoot my 460 S+W this weekend for the fist time and you can bet I'll have the P22 by it's side.

I played around with one. I was looking at buying one before I tried. Glad I got to shoot one before I commited. They look cool but thats about all they do for me.

My biggest complaint was the accuracy was down right terrible. Ill cut it a little slack though cause I shot it when I hardley ever messed with pistols, but my ruger shot better.

Also it was too light I thought. If I remember right it had a Loooong trigger pull that was on the really heavy side.

course this was probably 5 years ago. They might be better now.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

JOAT:

Even though I wasn't the one who asked, thanks for the good information. It seems that you always give useful information.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Fobus, makes (or made) a kydex paddle for the P22. I got it for a friend of mine, then he put the laser on his gun, so he gave it to another friend.
    The laser is a fun addition to the gun!

I've had one for a couple of years, and I'd say it's a pretty decent gun. It's small and light weight. I've never had any trouble, except with cheap ammo, which somtimes doesn't cycle fully.

My only complaint is that I find it difficult to put back together after field stripping it. I kind of wish I would have used the money to buy a Ruger 22 pistol.

Get your son a Sig Mosquito! I have shot both and the Mosquito is more gun for less or equal money!

Default Walther p22

Great little pistol. Its light and fun to shoot. I agree its probably not as accurate as a ruger but works great for me. I paid $229 at sportsmans a couple months ago. Hillbilly

I bought one several years ago for my son. it is a neat little gun. definately not as accurate as my ruger. we like i as a plinker. i have had absolutely no problems that were not ammo related. you do need to keep a check on the barrel nut because it will sometimes start to back off when the weapon has been shot a lot. no complaints.

I like mine. No problems and I've experienced pretty decent accuracy actually. The Colt Woodsman 6" Target model I used to own was definitely better, as was the Ruger MkII but then, they were heavier, with longer barrels and better triggers, so I would fully expect them to be more accurate.

I think the greatest virtue of the P22 is to introduce non shooters to the sport. Everyone who has tried it has fallen in love with it! It feels good in the hand and has that cute 'puppy dog' look to it. Well, maybe that's a stretch but you get my drift.

Can hardly go wrong for the money. Also, with it's extreme light weight, it makes a good little pistol to throw in a backpack or tackle box...just in case a herd of rabid squirrels, or in ya'lls case, a flock of terrorist ptarmigan attacked!

I bought one from the Elmendorf BX 2 years ago, thinking it would be a good kit-gun for my aircraft survival pack. My thinking being based upon the small size and low weight.

After 3 months of shooting it with various loads, I sold it to somebody who wanted a cool looking pistol more than an accurate pistol.

The magazine disconnect mecanism precludes you have a good trigger pull.
    The hammer block type safety (not a hammer drop as it appears) will start to drop down on its own after about 200 rounds. Occasionally blocking the hammer at the wrong time.
    Mine, and the three or four others I have fired were all fairly picky about whattype of ammo they wanted to cycle.

They were even more picky about what type of ammo was accurate.
    It was fairly accurate with the heavy sub-sonic Mexican ammo. But it would not cycle about 30% of the time using that ammo.

Since my requirement was that I be able to take very small game after a possible crash landing, I found the gun unsuited for my needs.
    I replaced it with an AirLite S&W 8 shot 22 revolver with a 3 inch barrel. It will shoot any ammo, is more accurate, has a betetr single action trigger, and I do not have to worry about loosing a magazine in the woods.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Thumbs up S&W

Float Pilot,

that is prolly a better choice for such a need. Is that the 317? I would really like to get the 317 with Hi-Viz sights and 3" bbl. Only 11.9 oz.!

Now THAT has got to be the perfect take anywhere and survive anything .22 handgun, especially if weight is a consideration.

I have an older one with the regular adjustable sights. They are more accurate than the hi-viz for me. It will shoot the Stingers ok and really likes the heavy bullet sub-sonic stuff. I carry the gun and 50 rounds in my survival vest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com