Thread: Removing Rubbery Taste From A Hydration Bladder?

Default Removing Rubbery Taste From A Hydration Bladder?

My Badlands 2200 has a proprietary bladder pouch that holds a 95oz reservoir. After testing a camelback I was unsatisfied and bought the bandlands bladder. Growing up on well water I am not pleased with city water in general, but this reservoir has an awful rubbery taste with whatever water I fill it with.

Is there a trick to remove the rubbery flavor from these hydration bladders?

yeah, just pee in it......the bladder will not taste good but you wont taste the rubber either....lol

......I'm not helping am I...

Do a good initial rinse with lemon juice solution. Let it sit for an hour or two and empty the bladder.

Store it with the bladder open to let it air out.

Add a squirt of lemon juice to your drinking water.

Default Baking Soda Rinse

A couple tablespoons of Baking Soda in the bag, dry. Seal up bag partially inflated, leave for a day or two, then rinse it out, don't forget to rinse the drinking tube. Then do the lemon trick.

Quote Originally Posted by moosedrool View Post
    A couple tablespoons of Baking Soda in the bag, dry. Seal up bag partially inflated, leave for a day or two, then rinse it out, don't forget to rinse the drinking tube. Then do the lemon trick.
    I second the baking soda idea.......
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

Charterboat Operator

Thumbs up Gatorade

3 parts gatorade to one part vodka, fill pouch, drink pouch, fall down, wake up and no more rubbery taste!

Default Baking Soda and Lemon

Quote Originally Posted by moosedrool View Post
    That's the same method I use on mine. Once a year at the beginning of hunting season, rather it needs it or not.

When I got my last rv trailer the water tanks were the same. I found some water tank conditioner at the rv store and added it to the tank. it made the taste go away.

Default Denture Cleaner

I use denture cleaning tables on my hydration bladder when it starts tasting bad . I put three tables in a almost full bladder, seal it up for a day or too, then rinse a lot. It might have the same effect as the baking soda others have recommended.

I keep mine frozen between uses, and that seems to help keep the water tasting good.

yeah, just pee in it......the bladder will not taste good but you wont taste the rubber either....lol
    You guys are the best, now I don't have to pee in the bladder after all.

Default Platypus

I have found the same problem with using a camelbak and have changed over to a platypus bladder. No rubber taste with these. Here is a link for more information. http://www.platypushydration.com/

The problem with the Badlands 2200 is the bladder pouch is designed around their square 95oz bladder. It about the same price as the camelbacks, but the Badlands bladder doesn't feel as sturdy or durable. I suppose a camelback would work if it was folded in half, but then the full capacity of the bladder would be severly diminished. If I decide to dump the Badlands I'll give the plat bladder a try, but will have to hang it in the bag.

I let the bladder soak with a mix of water and lemon juice, now the taste is much more pleasant.