Thread: Knik Glacier Access?

Default Knik Glacier Access?

Is There Any Trails Passable In The Summer To Knik Glacier By 4-wheeler? Thanks

depends on water levels and you ingenuity

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    depends on water levels and you ingenuity
    ...and if you're willing and able to sacrifice that 4 wheeler to Metal Creek, among other things.
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Is There A Somewhat Known Trail, Or Do You Kinda Make Your Own?

Quote Originally Posted by RICKETEW View Post
    Is There A Somewhat Known Trail, Or Do You Kinda Make Your Own?

Best bet is to find someone who's been out there during the summer and make a run then. Springtime, before the water really starts rising is probably your best bet(if you're not going during the winter). Unless we get heavy rains, than that will throw a monkey wrench into things. You really don't want to do it by yourself, especially if you've never been out there. It can be a very unforgiving place.
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Many trails headed back that way. Pretty much just keep going toward the glacier. Not much of a problem till you get to water. The water is the only problem cause it is so full of silt you can't see how deep it is. Other than that there are plenty of places to get stuck but that is true about pretty much anywhere in this great state!

Is Metal Creek That Deep, Or Can You Cross It With Normal Rains

Metal, Friday, Jim can all get high. New channels get cut all the time so last weeks crossing is this weeks drowning. Normal rains? I didn't know we had those here... All the creeks up there are glacial drainage which means that there are more than just rain to influence water level. Rain, ambient temp, direct sunlight on the snow pack, etc

Been there done that with Metal Creek (Glacial Fork) and even Friday Creek. Numerous times I have sat at the cabin or A-Frame and watched people loose their atv's to the current of Friday Creek in the summer. The water is swift, powerful, and can fairly deep. There's even a video on youtube where a guy looses his Jeep to the current. If a Jeep can't handle it there's no freaking way an atv will cross. Your only chance in the summer is to have a suped up atv with super water tight snorkels and a game plan or pray for low water. I wouldn't even cross during the summer with my old snorkeled brute, and I crossed the wolf point beaver dams with this machine.

Once you get to the glacier there is a trail but it's literally a trail to no where. Last weekend I even talked to a guy that has tried for years to make it to Grasshopper on an atv with no success. There area is heavily wooded and offers no good hunting grounds in my opinion. Some may say I am trying to keep a well hidden secret, if that's the case by all means give it all you have and prove me wrong.

What month did you want to go? Depending on how hot it's been I cross until the middle of June, forget July and August. I crossed it in July when it was raging from one bank to the other in my BigRig (won't try that again)
    I live on the river and have been to the glacier hundreds of times. Shoot me a PM in May or early June and I'll show you the crossings and the methods for crossing. It always looks worse than it is except when it is bad and looks it.