Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rifle scope

Smile rifle scope

Is the Leupold optics better than the Carl Zeiss optics? I have a budget of $650.00 and need a scope for my new 7mm Weatherby Accumark. Can anybody give some good advice on which is the better of the afore mentioned optics?

Thanks,

callbee

I've used zeiss and swaro's (never owned) in hunting conditions and they are nice if you can afford them. Most average hunters never need more than a good leupold. Now "want" is completely differant.

Either way you go you wont be disappointed. leu's, zeiss or swaro's, you cant go wrong.

go with the zeiss conquest line.

Leupold LPS line of scope are unreal, i've never been thrilled with the european stuff though.

Zeiss is optically better than Leupold to my eye. However, most of my scopes are all Leupolds.

Default leupold

Leupold is the best bang for your buck on the market. And backed by a lifetime warranty. Wonderfull scopes. My next one will be the 56mm with the cut out on the bottom to go arround your barrel and still give you the correct height for your eye. LX I believe is the style.
    Justin

Default Best scope ?

I don't think you will be unhappy with either one. The Ziess Conquest looks very good to my eyes but I have never used one for hunting. I like a light weight scope with lots of eye relief and it has to be reliable. My favorite big game hunting scope is the 2.5 x 8 Leupold. With the cal. you have you might want to look at the Leupold 3.5 x 40 VX III also. Some of the top end Euro sopes are very expensive and have very good glass in them. Are they two or three times as good and more reliable then a VX III Leupold or Conquest since they cost so much more ? No way. I believe in spending more money on binoculars then rifle scopes.

338 mag made some good comments. The amount of time spent looking through your scope is limited to a few minutes tops on each hunt. Leupold scopes are excellent and there warranty service is the best out there. I have never seen one fog after owning them for 35 years. Buy anything from there VXIII line and save what is left over to apply to really good binoc's.

Default Scopes

I have started replacing my Leupolds with the Zeiss Conquest, with my eyes getting older the etched reticle makes all the difference in the world to me. I have always owned Leupold and can say nothing bad about them, only now if I do not have my glasses as I adjust the power ring higher the reticle begins to blur.

Doug

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

For your $650.00 budget for a scope I have a NIB Kahles 3.5X10X50 with the TDS Reticle.

Go with a Leupold in 2.5x8 or a 3.5x10 Vari-XIII with Boone and Crockette reticle.

I just bought a VX III 2.5-8x36mm for my new Kimber MT .325 I came real close to buying the B&C reticle but thought that after all these years using a duplex I might end up using the wrong crosshairs in the heat of the moment excitement. I did talk to one guy personaly who has done that. I take it you have the B&C reticle and like it?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Here is my 2 cents. i like them all. I have leuopold scopes on all my rifles. I just outfitted a Sendero 7mmRUM with the new VXIII. 4.5X14 40mmBell and 30MM tube in the LR model. 30 MM tube X 40mmbell gathers as much light as 50mm bell and allows low scope mount. I got the B&C ret. and love it. I do hunt open country where shots over 300 yds are common. Their new index matched system is unbelievable with crisp immage clear out to edge of view! I have a dealer who can get this scope for around $600.00. Thats $100 below Cabelas or anywhere else that I have found. PM me if interested. Good luck!

Default Leupold

Whenever folks start talking hard-kicking rifles, I start thinking of the distance I want my eyebrow from the scope. Having worn the 'half-moon-of-shame' over my right eye from a nice Bushnell Elite and a really cool Swarovski PH, I appreciate the extended eye relief Leupold offers-- the most you can buy that I know of. I own two, a VX-II and a VX-III, and couldn't imagine needing better optics than the American-Made Leupold provides. Just a thought.

Chuck

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck375
    American-Made Leupold

Chuck

Only American made scopes are the Burris Signature Series. All the rest are put together from imported parts.

Default Asian Glass

Sure, Leupold sub-contracts the glass like virtually every other manufacturer, and pays extra money for good quality product, but builds tubes and adjustment assemblies in Beaverton Oregon where the scopes are assembled by Americans.

Leupold's performance and service make it a moot point, at best, in my book, and it's my understanding that Burris only 'grinds' their lenses in the USA. They use Japanese glass, too.

Chuck

Look at the NIKON Monarch line. I have used them exclusively with a 270 Win, 300Win, 7MM STW, and a 375 H&H. In my opinion they are the best glass for the money. They are about on par with the VARI X III but about 20% less expensive. Just my $0.02.

Drew

I'd definitely go with a Leupold scope. My all time favorite is the VX-III 2.5-8. With a 7mm Accumark, you might want to step up to the 3.5-10 range although I personally believe the 2.5-8 will do everything you need it to.

And I'd go with the B&C reticle... it's awesome

I have a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10 x 40 ($500) and a Ziess Conquest 3.5-10 x 44 ($600) and have used them both in AK and Northern WI. Both on the same rifle, Browning A-Bolt II Stainless Stalker in 300 Win. Mag. I like the Zeiss much better. Mainly because the eye relief remains constant at all powers. I also seem to be brighter at low light (fog, rain etc.) and at high power. I also had to send the Leupold in to be repaired. I thnk the hard kick broke the reticles. They fixed it quickly at no charge. I have also looked at the new Zeiss Conguest for $399. It's a 3-9 x 40 and is definitely not the same as mine. It is made to be a $399 scope. I would recommed the Zeiss Conquest in the $600 range. It is in you price range and a great scope.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast