Thread: Float Trip for caribou along Haul Road

Default Float Trip for caribou along Haul Road

I am in the planning stages of a float hunt for this fall. (After September 1st) I was looking at the Sag River based on it's reasonable accessability to the Dalton. I see several rivers that feed into the Sag and that look like possibilites as starting points. Has anyone floated this area in the past couple of years? Looking for any info as to if the timing is good, put in / take points, water levels, etc. It looks like the better part of this river as it runs along the road is probably inside the corridor. I would assume this means we are looking at a bow hunt in that area? I have heard that the haul road has become more crowded in recent years, should I expect lots of company on the river as well? Lastly, if the Sag is not the best choice, is there another like float you would recommend?
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Mike

Default Dodging silver bullets

Good luck dodging the airboats and numerous other powered watercraft on the Sag.

Yep, just like AF Hunter said, I saw alot of jet boats going up and down the Sag accessing the Ivishak...boat traffic!

Default Power Options

I had been told that there was a fair amount of traffic in the area but I was expexcting most of them to be road bound. Based on that info, do I abandon the raft concept and look at other option? I have 20' Thunderjet. I never thought of using it up north for caribou. Should I look into this as a feasible alternative? Or possibly another river?

Default Jet Boat

20' thunder jet should be fine, I wouldn't go any bigger than that. You'd want to put in on the Sag and go up the Ivishak, every boat I have seen go up there were scoring big time! I saw one boat with two moose and two bou, and they weren't little either. This past year I have seen more jet and air boats go up there, perhaps 'cause the road has gotten alot better, afew travel trailers, and horse trailers too. You'll want a good cover though for your boat due to dust and small gravel.

Do a search there was a previous thread on this subject last year and you'll see where you can put your boat in...Theres access roads....CK

Default check again

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    20' thunder jet should be fine, I wouldn't go any bigger than that. You'd want to put in on the Sag and go up the Ivishak, every boat I have seen go up there were scoring big time! I saw one boat with two moose and two bou, and they weren't little either. This past year I have seen more jet and air boats go up there, perhaps 'cause the road has gotten alot better, afew travel trailers, and horse trailers too. You'll want a good cover though for your boat due to dust and small gravel.

Do a search there was a previous thread on this subject last year and you'll see where you can put your boat in...Theres access roads....CK
    There is No moose hunting up there, so I find it hard to believe you saw two moose.

Last year the pickns where slim for bou, water levels very low, so plan on banging your boat up. If you take the wrong channel your in trouble.

If someone was bow hunting and just want an easy along the road float you can do that on the sag. Most if not all the powered boats head up the Ivishak, so one for the most part would have the sag to themselves

AK02--Yep. Sure did, a guy I was huntin' with saw it too, they had a two truck party, all the gear in a flat bed trailer with plywood sides and the boat and trailer/ truck in front of them( racks were on the boat straped down( I can still visualize it)...I saw at least six boats with bou, that pulled into coldfoot coming from the north(they were hunters that told me they did the Ivishak). ..I understand theres no moose hunting up there in certain areas ...but these guys must have went in a place so far up the river they were in a huntable area. I practically lived up there for over a month, so I know what I'm talking about.

And yes they were Moose, i know what their racks look like, I bagged a nice bull up there this past season ( DM920 Bull) check the '07 huntin' pics if you don't believe. I know what i saw!!!! if I'm giving up too much info. because you don't want others up there with a Jet boat then Just come out and say( Its no big secret)....also I don't see how you can say Bou was thin this past season...apparently you weren't up there Labor day weekend when the herd came thru and hunters were all over the road slinging arrows, riding on the running boards, getting tickets by F&G etc. ....I was there.

Default moose

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    AK02--Yep. Sure did, a guy I was huntin' with saw it too, they had a two truck party, all the gear in a flat bed trailer with plywood sides and the boat and trailer/ truck in front of them( racks were on the boat straped down( I can still visualize it)...I saw at least six boats with bou, that pulled into coldfoot coming from the north(they were hunters that told me they did the Ivishak). ..I understand theres no moose hunting up there in certain areas ...but these guys must have went in a place so far up the river they were in a huntable area. I practically lived up there for over a month, so I know what I'm talking about.

And yes they were Moose, i know what their racks look like, I bagged a nice bull up there this past season ( DM920 Bull) check the '07 huntin' pics if you don't believe. I know what i saw!!!! if I'm giving up too much info. because you don't want others up there with a Jet boat then Just come out and say( Its no big secret)....also I don't see how you can say Bou was thin this past season...apparently you weren't up there Labor day weekend when the herd came thru and hunters were all over the road slinging arrows, riding on the running boards, getting tickets by F&G etc. ....I was there.
    Any moose they had where not shot up the sag or Ivishak, They had to have come from south of the pass. If those two moose where shot north of the pass they were poached.

I didnt say the bou where thin along the road, I said up the Ivishak. But since you know everything and I know nothing you Must be right

Default Maybe.......

this will help clear the air. Understand I'm not trying to interrupt your discussion, just trying to help us all get along. AK02--you can hunt moose north of the pass, it's DM996 (26B excluding Canning River), so it's entirely possible. kahahawai--if you bagged a moose in DM 920 you were south of the pass, or at least should've been according to the regs. I hope this helps.

Dude,You need to wake up! there are moose hunts up there, some are permit hunts ( DM 992 and DM996)and some are Harvest 26A you can hunt for Moose, some parts of 26 B, and along with the permit hunts...only a few areas in 26B and all of 26c you can't hunt moose( east of Canning River and Marsh Fork) Check the regs!

Also The caribou, were migrating from East to West! those caribou don't sit along the road all year round, I'm just stating what those hunters told me ...those bou were coming through the valley along the Ivishak river.

I'm not looking for an arguement here, but whether those moose were poached or legally harvested there were two moose racks (probably around 50")and they were fresh kills because one still had strands of velvet on it along with two bou strapped onto the boat. and this was at mile marker 229 just south of the pass heading south.

Default Dm 920

Yes, Josh I was south of the pass, I had a permit that I drew. You can check the harvest report my bull is listed in there. Thanks for enlightening the other guy....CK

Afraid kahahawai is right there akhunter02, it's open for moose via draw permit on both sides of the pass and both sides of the road.

Default I stand

Corrected, your right, I missed that one. Guess it pays to look at new permit areas

Smile Moose or No Moose?

I love it! I thought that only us who lived and hunted in unit 23 had these types of arguments! The best part is Martentrapper was not even involved with this one!
    So is there any moose in the Coldfoot area?

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

Default Yes there are Moose around Coldfoot

Walt there are Moose all over the North Slope :-) Heck I have even seen Moose as far over and up as the Kavic System, Had a shocker about 4 years ago when we saw one running the area around the Gravel Pits heading towards Pump Station Two.

:-)

Default Yea

I saw a moose about 15 miles south of BARROW in 1997.... skinny as all get out and looked way lost but it was incredible seeing one that far north!!

G

Yelp, the moose are pushing north and the polar bears, south.

Default Ivishak notes

I haven't tried it myself, but two of my friends floated the Ivishak last year and they both got a 'bou. They also had canoes and had to portage them 3 times for about 4.5 miles total because the water level was so low when they went at the end of Aug-start of Sept. Not sure how any powered boat, jet or otherwise, got through if they went that early in the year. Just wanted you to know for your planning.

Fuse

Walt.............if they had made statements like, "the griz are THICK", or "fill the raft", or "MONGO caribou".............then I might have decided to play.
    Plus, I'm not that familiar with the area. Besides, I just have to wait for you to make an outrageous statement when I want to have fun.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Low Water

Quote Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
    I haven't tried it myself, but two of my friends floated the Ivishak last year and they both got a 'bou. They also had canoes and had to portage them 3 times for about 4.5 miles total because the water level was so low when they went at the end of Aug-start of Sept. Not sure how any powered boat, jet or otherwise, got through if they went that early in the year. Just wanted you to know for your planning.

Fuse
    Fuse,

Yeah, a real lesson learned last year! A lot of hunters got hung up by low water up north because they failed to connect the dots.

We had very limited snowpack last winter, and not much summer rain, which translates to low water levels in the fall. The lesson is that we need to watch our snow levels during the previous winter when we're making our float hunt plans!

I'm glad it worked out for you, but I'll bet you will watch it more closely next time!

Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay