Thread: The Jim Creek Escapade - Long Version

Default The Jim Creek Escapade - Long Version

Gotta love that sudden stop.
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i attemted the jim creek flats in my old sport jon. that silt will stop you dead in your tracks. we went from 45 mph to 0 in a split second. high and dry. if i ever want to go back in there again ill take the alternate route.

The killer part was after heaving the boat over sand with miniscule water where you wouldn't get your feet wet in tennis shoes, then I hit the sand bar at WOT (probably 20mph) right where you enter the woods. Three feet to the right and I would have been in the clear.

Now that I look at the video and am reminded how shallow the water was when I step out the of boat I can only ask myself, "*** was I thinking?"

I would love to hear the story behind operation high and dry akriverrat.

Default Outstanding Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing it!

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

well me and my kids put in at the lower bridge and checked the slough between the knik and matanuska for reds. not much happining so we cruised on up the river. normally i never ran the river above the old glenn bridge because i never had a boat like the sportjon and reading the river can be quite the chore in itself. well after no issues all the way to the mouth of jim creek i was feeling pretty cocky and made an attempt to enter the mouth. no go, i could not find a spot that i was comfortable going in at so we made a wide turn out of there towards the glacier. just then an airboat started to head into the mouth and i figured he probably had done this a few times so i tucked in behind him and followed him into the mouth. everything was going good as i could start to read the channel now and got my bearings. well mr airboat decided to pull over for a picnic right on the flats. when he pulled over he ended up parked right in the channel and there was no room to turn around for me. coming off step wasnt much of a choice either so i rang out the alarm to my kids " hang on ". i punched the throttle and made a wide cut around the airboat and WHAMMO. dead stop, and kids and dog was scattered about. my son appeared to be the only one to hear me since he stayed put, my oldest daughter banged her shin real good on the corner of my aluminum gas tank, and my youngest was upside down under the dash giving me the " what the $#*@ look. when we got out of the boat there wasnt enough water go over the rubber soles of our sneakers, about as much as water gremlin had from the sounds of it. well me and the kids pushed and dug and pryed for some time while the airboat dude did absolutley nothing to help out. he was about 30 feet from us on the bank letting his kids play in the water making sure he didnt make eye contact with us. by no means do i think it was his fault but i thought he was pretty stuck up for not offering to help. after about and hour three canoes came paddling down andthey all got out and got us to deep water. they even held me in the hole while i punched it and got on step. i got on step and told the kids to hang on and they all did this time around. still do to this day but its not heard as much outta me since i got a heavier boat now i dont take as many chances. looking back on it it wasnt the best idea ive had since there was so much fishing traffic on the river and 4 wheelers. mighta been a good thing i didnt make it farther than i did.