Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite salmon recipes

Thumbs up Favorite salmon recipes

We have a good thread on halibut recipes so I thought I'd start one on favorite salmon dishes. Mine is simple, and I'd like to branch out.

On the grill -

Salmon filet patted dry with paper towel

Over the filet -

-generous dousing (or inject) with lemon juice
    -generous dousing with lemon pepper
    -onion slices
    -several pats of butter along highest points of filet

Grill till juices start appearing bubbling through thick part of filet.

We also like simply spreading and injecting ranch dressing on/in a silver or red filet.
    Last edited by AKmud; 10-01-2006 at 23:52.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I hear this is a great recipe, I still have to take it for a test run though.

I was at Costco one day and a lady in line was telling me her "secret" salmon recipe. Costco sells a marinade that is a rasberry chipotle sauce. She would put the salmon steaks into a glass pyrex dish and generously cover the steaks with this sauce and bake it at 350*. It sounds mouth watering considering the marinade is some good stuff.

Just came up with a new recipe tonight with a fresh silver fillet.

1 or 2 salmon fillets cut into 2 or 3 pieces each
    olive oil
    2 Tbsp creamy italian dressing
    1/2 medium small sweet onion, minced
    1/3-1/2 medium tomato chopped in small pieces
    1 Tbsp fresh minced garlic (garlic powder will do...not as good though)
    1/2 tsp oregano
    basil
    parsley
    1 tsp onion salt
    1/2 tsp red pepper
    dash of white pepper

Large frying pan....just cover the bottom with olive oil, place all ingredients in olive oil and cook on medium for 5 minutes.....add salmon and cook on each side for about 8 minutes or until done to taste.

This was made up as I went along and these are guesses as to actual amounts....I rarely measure anything. It was great. You can also add about 1/3 of white wine when you add the salmon.

Brian

Default The Salmon Recepie

This is my favorite top secret recepie. I lightly smoke salmon filets with apple or alder wood. The filet is seasoned with sea salt, garlic and lemon pepper. Then mayonaise is spread on it then Tiger Sauce. Garnish with slices of lemon and chopped chives. Place the filet on the grill skin side down. I put water in a small cast iron pan and let it steam into the fish. If you want you can put wood chips in the pan instead of smoking the fish but let them saok for 30 minutes before cooking the fsh. Don't over cook it. Slide the meat off the skin with a spatula and feed the skin to what ever will eat it. I lightly smoke quite a few filets every year and vac pac them. Then we enjoy them all winter.

Thumbs up Salmon Fettuccine. . .

SALMON FETTUCCINE WITH CAPERS
    1 pint canned salmon, drained and flaked
    8 oz. fettuccine pasta or spinach fettuccine pasta, uncooked
    2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup milk or half-and-half
    2 tbsp. drained capers
    1 tbsp. chopped fresh dill (or 1 tsp. dried)
    1 tbsp. chopped fresh tarragon ( or 1 tsp. dried)
    1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
    freshly ground black pepper

Prepare fettuccine according to package directions. Toss salmon with lemon juice and set aside. Combine sour cream and milk in a large deep skillet; heat over medium heat. Add capers, dill and tarragon; heat through, stirring frequently. Drain pasta; add to skillet, tossing well. Add cheese and salmon mixture, tossing lightly. Arrange on four serving plates, sprinkle with pepper. Serve with additional cheese if desired.

Makes 4 servings.

Default Weird...

I stumbled upon this interesting recipe. Who will be the first to give it a shot?

Cooking Salmon in a Dishwasher

Needs:

salmon fillets
    aluminum foil
    a lemon
    a few butter pats
    electric dishwasher

Place the fish on two large sheets of aluminum foil. Squeeze on some lemon juice and place the pats of butter on the salmon fillets. Seal the fillets well in the foil, and place the foil packet in the top wire basket of your electric dishwasher. DO NOT ADD SOAP OR DETERGENT. Close the dishwasher door, set the dishwasher on the hottest wash cycle, complete with drying cycle, and let it run through a full cycle. When the cycle is complete the fish will be cooked just right.

I only like this for fresh salmon, ie day I caught it, or the day after, not nearly as good with thawed frozen salmon.

Fillets of one red, or 1 fillet of a silver or king.

1 stick butter
    1 lemon, juiced
    5 cloves garlic
    2 T diced fresh dill
    combign softened butter with lemon, dill and garlic. Put in the fridge the firm up, I lay it out on some parchement paper.

Place fillet(s) skin side down on a foil coverd bbq grill. I cook over birch or alder, burn the logs down to coals. Cut slabs of the seasoned butter and put on the fillets. Cook until the thickest part of the fillet just firms up, ie color just lightens and serve with rice and Alaskan amber.

It absolutely melts in your mouth!

Default dishwasher

W_Gremlin,
    My co-worker says he does the dw think with halibut as well. Sounds bland & seems like it would be a lot easier to grill it. Let us know how it tastes.

I like to take an untreated cedar or alder plank & soak in water for an hour, then put it on the grill on high heat for 5 minutes. Take salmon put a few slits in put some brown sugar in them, sprinkle on cajun seasoning & the standard others if you like place on hot plank & grill on medium heat for 10-15 minutes. One thing you have to watch the grill as 1 of every 3 planks will catch & start burning. Just open the grill & put out flame with a small spray bottle.

Default yummy!

With my abilities being what they are I have found simple
    usually turns out better for me....

Take a gallon ziploc bag, pour in a goodly splash of olive oil, add a
    smidgen of soy sauce, then add a couple few shakes of McCormicks
    Montreal Steak seasoning. Put in a whole fillet, skinned or not,
    let soak for 10-15 minutes, grill just until changes color.

I usually flip mine over for a couple minutes and serve.

Now, with my skill with a spatula, I have found larger fillets are
    best cut in half or thirds.

Enjoy!

few fillets of salmon in 4 to 1 lime to tequila shots. bake 350 in oven for no more then 20 minutes. UMMM
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Salmon With Basil Cream Sauce

I have made this recipe for family and friends many times. It always goes over well. The sauce is divine, so I usually double the recipe in that regard. ENJOY!!

Salmon With Basil Cream Sauce

Ingredients:

2 lbs. salmon fillets
    1 1/2 T unsalted butter
    3 shallots, peeled and minced
    1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
    1 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    3/4 cup dry white wine
    1/3 cup light cream
    1 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1/4 t freshly ground white pepper
    1/4 t salt, or to taste

Cut the salmon into 6 equal serving pieces, wash and pat dry on
    paper towels. Melt the butter in a large skillet over
    medium-high heat. Sear the salmon on each side for about 2 to
    3 minutes, keeping the center slightly rare since the fish will
    continue to cook after it is taken from the pan. Remove the
    fish from the pan with a slotted spatula and keep warm. Reduce
    the heat to low and add the shollots and garlic to the pan.
    Saute, stirring frquently, for 5 minutes.

Add the basil, parsley, wine, cream, lemon juice, pepper and
    salt to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring
    frequently, until the mixture is reduced by half. Taste for
    seasoning, adding pepper and salt as needed.

To serve, reheat the fish slightly in the sauce and then serve
    the sauce around the salmon fillets.

Default Beer Battered Salmon

You would not belive the number of people that have not tried Beer Battered Salmon. I have found that Negra Modelo, a Dark Mexican Ale, makes an exquisite Beer Batter.

Smile Great Alaska Salmon Bake Recipe...Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone!

Well, I think it is anyway LOL. Just grilled up some VERY FRESH dipnetted reds last week and this recipe was to die for. Folks were saying restaurants don't do it this good!

Alaska Salmon Bake Recipe

1 stick butter, melted
    1/4 C brown sugar
    1/4 C soy sauce
    1/2 t dill weed
    1/8 t cayenne
    juice of 1/2 lemon

Combine all ingredients. Brush over salmon (enough for about 1 1/2-2 pounds). Marinate about an hour. Grill salmon over wood fire or hot coals, basting frequently with marinade.

Honestly I think so long as you don't overcook fresh salmon, it's about impossible to mess it up. A squeze of lime, a bit of fresh dill a splash of olive oil and baked or bbq works wonders.

Another recipe I like I refer to as Kodiak style, as that's where I learned it. Combine catchup, soy sauce, brown sugar and some mustard, and brush on fillets. Bake until just firm and enjoy. Can't help on the proportions of the sauce, within reasons it doesn't matter, just don't get too carried away with any one ingredient.

Later in the year when you need to be a bit more inventive, it's time for Salmon tacos, salmon stir fry, or battered and fried salmon.

Leftovers are great for salmon patties, combine with some rice if leftover, bread crumbs, some corn meal, a few eggs, dice up some onions, grate in some parmesian cheese, and maybe a bit of mayo and tobasco. Mush togteher, pick out the bones, form into paddies and cook up in some olive oil in a cast iron skillet. They go great with breakfast and some runny side up eggs and hashbrowns, or as a snack or meal for lunch and dinner.

Default grilled herbed salmon

1/2 cup butter
    1/3 cup lemon juice
    2 tablespoons minced parsley
    1-1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
    1-1/2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1 salmon fillet (2-1/2 to 3 pounds and 3/4" thick)

In a saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients. Cook and stir over low heat until butter is melted: set aside. Coat grill rack with nonstick cokking spray before starting grill. Place salmon skin side down on grill. Grill, covered, over medium hot heat for 5 minutes. Baste with butter sauce. Grill 10-15 minutes longer or until fish flakes easily with a fork, basting frequently. makes 6-8 servings.

Thumbs up Barbecued salmon. . .

Here's one from James McNair's salmon cookbook. There will be no leftovers. . .

1/2 lb butter
    2 garlic cloves halved
    1/4 c soy sauce
    2 tbsp American style mustard
    1 tbsp Worcestershire
    2 tsp ketchup, or to taste
    Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan over low heat and simmer until the butter is melted and the flavors are well blended, about 15 minutes. Lay filet flesh side down on a medium hot fire for a couple minutes. Turn fillet and spoon with barbecue sauce often. Reserve left-over sauce, warm and serve with salmon.
    Note: Makes enough for a medium-sized whole salmon; we usually cut it in half for one filet

Default Cajun Smoked Salmon

SMOKED SALMON à la LOUIS

1 CUP BROWN SUGAR
    1 CUP SOY SAUCE
    4 CUPS COLD WATER
    PAUL PRUDHOMME BLACKENED RED FISH SEASONING TO TASTE
    ONE WHOLE ONION, CHOPPED
    ABOUT 4 CLOVES GARLIC, CHOPPED
    BLACK PEPPER TO TASTE
    COUPLE OF BAY LEAVES
    CREOLE OR CAJUN SEASONING (Cajuns Choice sold at Carr’s) TO TASTE

MIX ALL IN GLASS BOWL. MIXTURE SHOULD BE SLIGHTLY CLEAR WHEN SCOOPED THROUGH A SPOON. IF NOT, ADD WATER. SAMPLE MIXTURE, ADJUST SEASONINGS TO TASTE.

LAY SALMON FILETS IN LARGE GLASS PAN, SKIN SIDE UP. COMPLETELY COVER FISH WITH MIXTURE.

MARINATE FISH IN REFRIGERATOR 12 - 16 HOURS (REDS & SILVERS); 16-24 HOURS FOR THICKER FILETS (KINGS).

AFTER MARINATING, REMOVE FISH FROM MIXTURE AND RINSE IN COLD WATER. LAY FISH SKIN SIDE DOWN, PAT DRY WITH PAPER TOWEL. ALLOW FISH TO STAND IN OPEN UNTIL IT GETS A GLAZE (15 TO 30 MINUTES).

LIGHTLY SEASON FISH WITH BLACKENED & CAJUN SEASONINGS. SEASON AS IF YOU WERE BAKING.

SMOKE WITH ALDER CHIPS. REFILL CHIP PAN EVERY ONE TO TWO HOURS.

SMALLER FILETS TAKE 6 TO 8 HOURS. LARGER FILETS MAY TAKE 8 TO 12 HOURS.

AFTER 5 HOURS, START CHECKING

Default Excellent Salmon Recipe

This was passed on to me by a chef named Roger Snively. He cooked this for us at a company barbecue recently and it was one of the best recipes for a fresh sockeye fillet I've ever tried:

Grilled Salmon w/ Brown Sugar Glaze

Fillet of Salmon seasoned and grilled to just barely done spread glaze over
    fish, close BQQ lid and let glaze melt over fish (about 2 min).

Brown sugar glaze:
    1/2 stick butter
    1 c light brown sugar
    1t dill weed
    pinch cayenne pepper
    juice of one lemon
    Combine in small sauce pan and slowly heat on grill stirring until warmed and
    thick. Do not cook or boil.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Teriyaki salmon

4 salmon steaks (about 6 oz. each), skinned, or 1-1½ lbs fillet, skinned
    1.25 cups soy sauce
    1/3 cup sake (Japanese rice wine), mirin (sweet Japanese cooking wine), or sherry
    6 Tbsp granulated sugar
    3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
    1 Tbsp minced or grated ginger root
    1/3 cup vegetable oil

Combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl and stir until the sugar dissolves.
    To prepare the salmon: quickly rinse the salmon under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels.
    Divide each steak into 2 pieces by cutting along either side of the central bone and then discarding the bone; alternatively, cut the fillet into 8 equal pieces.
    Place the salmon in a shallow glass or ceramic container and pour 1 cup of the marinade over the fish. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, turning the fish occasionally.
    Outdoor Directory - Recreation and Outdoor Links - Submit your outdoor site for FREE
    Billings MT - Montana News, events, and reviews
    Montana Events Calendar - Statewide event calendar

Default Stuff Salmon

Just did this last night and it was a big hit with the family.

Stuffing:
    1/2 Onion chopped
    2 cloves of Garlic chopped
    2 Tablespoons of chopped Cilantro
    3/4 cup corn
    1/4 cup red bell pepper
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1/8 cup parmesan cheese
    3 Tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 cup White Wine
    3 Tablespoons of butter
    1 to 2 Tablespoons lemon juice

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees

Place olive oil in pan and heat it up. Add onions and Garlic and cook till onions are translucent. Add Corn, peppers, 1 tablespoon butter, chopped Cilantro and white wine and simmer over medium heat until liquid is almost gone. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add parmesan cheese and remove for heat.

Take your favorite salmon fillet (mine is sockeye) and make a pocket in the thick part of the the fillet. Be careful not to cut all the way through. Take stuffing and stuff you salmon fillet until the point the stuffing is almost falling out. Place some of the stuffing in the bottom of the baking dish and place you salmon fillets on it. Brush salmon with lemon & butter mixture and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place a small bit of butter on the fillet.
    Cook in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Can be served with some excess stuffing over the top.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast