Thread: Redpolls

Default Redpolls

More shots from the new 300mm f/4 . . . Redpolls in the back yard.

Nikon D80
    Nikkor 300mm ED f/4
    1/400 f/4 ISO 400
    Post production processing w/ PS CS3 Extended

dude turn up the contrast... Great Bokeh!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Patrick, I dialed up the contrast a little to give it some "pop", but I'm still tinkering with the software to find what works and what doesn't. I still think these shots as well as the eagles are too "soft" and I want a "clearer" result. I'm shooting off a tripod, but I am hand triggering the release - I'll try a shutter release (either cable or wireless) to see if that makes a different. Thanks for the input.

Bes,t

John

You are going to have fun with that lens. Nice shots ...Agree with the contrast issue. Just a bump should do it.
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Hotel View Post
    Patrick, I dialed up the contrast a little to give it some "pop", but I'm still tinkering with the software to find what works and what doesn't. I still think these shots as well as the eagles are too "soft" and I want a "clearer" result. I'm shooting off a tripod, but I am hand triggering the release - I'll try a shutter release (either cable or wireless) to see if that makes a different. Thanks for the input.

Bes,t

John
    not sure if that lens has vr but if it does turn it off when on a tripod, at 1/400 you should have no problems with camera shake, my guesses are either you have flat lighting (try a flash), you're cropping a lot (get closer), you are shooting in JPEG or something silly (shoot raw), or your lens is soft not focusing properly or cloudy (probably not). Try throwing some flash out there, seems to work great for me in low contrast situations. Since you are using a tripod try turning down the iso and/or stopping down (f5.6 should give you sharper results), on a tripod you should be able to get away with shutter speeds of about 1/60th also use burst mode to minimize camera shake (just hold down the button) The top one especially looks a little soft, hard to tell if its post processing or the lens. A good trick in the raw conversion process to get more pop is to turn up the shawdows and saturation, alsy use curves instead of brightness contrast and make adjustment the the RAW image before jpeg conversion.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.