Thread: When Do Bears Come out in PWS

Default When Do Bears Come out in PWS

A friend and I are planning a bear hunting trip out of Whittier this spring. Have never been out there in the spring. Was wondering when the bears come out and when is a good time to start hunting. Was looking at the end of April but I am not sure if that is to early.

Thank you

Eric

It all depends on the snowfall they receive out there. It can be as early may or even late may. If you can it pays to be flexible.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I've hunted out of Whittier five or six times. In my personal opinion, later in May is better unless you go way south. End of April is too early most years because of the snow. As always, south facing hill sides and beaches are the best areas to glass.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

my vote is for later in may as well. might find a few in early may depending on snow but you will have to work for them and go high. better off waiting till they work there way down especially if you have limited time.

I always felt like the best time was just before the leaves bloomed out like crazy. Most of the time, this is the middle of May; some years early May is best. You have to go out (if you want your hunt to be quick) right when they come out, and just before everything blooms out. You may have to cruise for a couple of weekends (earlier is better, no pressure and you may find an early risers) to hit this perfectly. And sometimes, this could be the end of May. It just depends

Eric, are you planning to use an outfitter for your bear hunt? I am looking for an outfitter there.
    Thanks
    Mark
    Last edited by markopolo50; 01-31-2008 at 20:10. Reason: Missed information

Default Perfect day

The perfect day is the day the buds come out the trees. It give you about 4 or 5 days of great hunting, wait to long and the leafs come out. Its different every year. Normally PWS is a week or so behind anchorage. Go to the zoo and watch the bears it will give you a good clue.

Terry

went last year last weekend of may and first weekend in june plenty of bears to choose from I think we saw 12

Default Last year.....

.....we went out on Memorial weekend. Got 3 beutiful bears, all in about 2 1/2 hours. We saw 11 up high, and another 6 on the beaches where we got ours. Total time 14 hours, luanch to load, and got our limit of rockfish, and 3 white kings to boot.

You can tell the hunting pressure because of the easy access and the tunnel is making an impact. We went out in 98 when you had to load your boat on the train to Whittier. In four days of hunting, we were three for three and saw a total of 53 bears.