Thread: Soldotna/Valley BOF Testimony......

Default Soldotna/Valley BOF Testimony......

I am waiting for the big show in Anchorage, any interesting testimony or common theme at tonights meetings?

Default Board of Farce

My take on the Soldotna meeting.

3 BOF members, the designated chair was ~45 minutes late to his own party. No staff, no means to record testimony, no paper for speakers to sign up. No questions of speakers, board members didn't even attempt to feign interest.

I'd call it an insult to our community.

--
    No particularly shocking or revealing testimony. Very little concern about habitat and issues that have put the Kenai on the Feds radar.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    ......Very little concern about habitat and issues that have put the Kenai on the Feds radar.
    Ooohh. What's this? "On the Fed's radar"?

What am I missing here? With the Feds collecting up members of the Legislature, Prince Benny due for an indictment, and after the Katie Johns fiasco, what's this about the Feds and the Kenai River (which flows through..........the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge)?

Are the Feds going to take over and clean that Kenai mess up?

Default long rope

you might not think its so funny when they start shutting down stuff on Big Lake - its on the same radar.

Feds won't take over, but the state wants $tuff from them - just like education, highways, etc. if AK wants their cut of money from EPA programs, they gotta conform - and believe me they want the moola, more autonomy and less oversight.

Keeping gasoline out of (or not) high profile salmon habitat will be a benchmark.

Default Wasilla meeting

I have a big bias in the matter, but I thought it went very well. A mini board of fish meeting. Very little questions from the members to the public who testified, but the questions that were asked were very pertinent. Howard Delo ran a tight ship, chided the audience for a little bit of rowdiness when someone they disagreed with spoke, it even got airtime on channel 2 news. Sign up sheets, everyone given a generous time to talk, and I think it was well received by all. 3 BOF members, Palmer, Anchorage and Soldotna ADF&G staff in attendance, the borough mayor, city council members from Wasilla and Houston, Borough council members, and a packed house of locals wanting to be heard. A couple com guys were there to bring a balance to the meeting, (2 vs All) and the meeting began at 2, adjourned around 9, with a 1:45 hour dinner break.

Lake Lucille Inn kept the coffee and tea stocked, set out 2 dozen cookies for nearly 100 people in attendance, and had 1 cook and 1 waiter to serve the 50 or so who went to the restaurant for dinner. At least they kept the coffee filled! I think they were caught offguard by the size of the crowd.

Bottom line, BOF held a meeting in Wasilla, the first time they have done so. It was very refreshing, and I'm glad the folks in the valley were able to get their voices heard without making the drive and two day wait in Anchorage to testify. About the only negative thing I saw was the Daily News reporting the wrong time and place for the meeting.

Default common thread

The common thread was that the Valley residents want to get more fish in their systems, and those who drive to the Kenai peninsula to dipnet would like a fair chance at having fish in front of them when they are there. Testimony was all very civil... I was proud of my fellow Valley whiners.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    you might not think its so funny when they start shutting down stuff on Big Lake - its on the same radar.....
    It's not funny.........but it might be overdue.

If it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander. If the state can't get it together, we'll all hang together, huh?

.....Feds won't take over....
    They took over subsistence hunting on federal lands, and the Katie Johns fiasco (with Governor Tony dropping the suit with prejudice) pretty much gave management rights to the feds on navigable waters.

I think the feds can do whatever they want, especially now. And if there's a smell of corruption in the air, they seem to be attracted to it.

They're all over Prince Benny, who used to be all over fisheries..............

....Keeping gasoline out of (or not) high profile salmon habitat will be a benchmark.
    Sounds like just the kind of excuse they tend to like...........

Default not the first time

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Bottom line, BOF held a meeting in Wasilla, the first time they have done so. .
    I'm glad the Board went to gather the input, but it was not the first time at all.

I may be mistaken, but I thought they held a full UCI meeting in wasilla 6 or 9 years ago, and there have been numerous committee meetings, since then. I went out for one (as a member of the public) I think the hearing had to do with the development of the Sustainable Salmon Fisheries Policy, and I also remember former Board members telling stories of their previous meetings at the Lake Lucille Inn...one in particular that I remember them telling stories about involved some sort of sewer malfunction that cleared out the downstairs meeting room.

Default right Mr. Fish

You are correct Mr. Fish. The BOF has had numerous meetings in the valley.

In contrast to the valley the Soldotna meeting was captured well in the earlier post by chaos. Three board members - the seward board member showed up 40 min. late and played with his phone during the meeting.

No questions except for one - when a habitat report was given by the Kenai Watershed Forum on hydrocarbons they looked bored - one question and that was it. Here was the expert on hydrocarbons in the Kenai and they could care less.

Fisherman came and testified about their fisheries on the west side and not one question and I know these guys do not know that area.

The mayor of Soldotna had to set up everything for them as they had no staff, only one regional biologist and he was not involved.

No cookies in Soldotna.

Thats really a shame that it was so poorly organized in Soldotna. That was hand in hand with an issue brought up at the Valley meeting: several of the documents coming from F&G to help the public prepare testimony for the BOF have been late coming out. Board support was not at our meeting either, but Tom Vania of F&G was taking notes. We had microphones, but I don't know if F&G recorded. There were definitely a couple things that could have been improved on, but it definitely had a very positive tone.

Sorry if I made a mistake about BOF in the Valley. I had heard that this was the first in cycle BOF public comment session that was held in the Valley, and was repeating that. Whatever the case, I still thank them for doing it, and hope to see more in the future.

Isn't the contrast between the two meetings interesting? I wonder what it means?

When is the anchorage meeting? Thanks!

Default Anchorage BOF times

The full roadmap and agenda are on the fish and game site, under boards/ meetings. It kicks off Friday morning at 8:30, and public testimony will be held F, Sat, and Sunday. Committees meet Mon-Thurs, Friday break, then deliberations Sat-Tuesday the 12th.

Thanks!!! Willfish. I think I can get in there sunday. Or early sat. Someone mentioned how long the wait is to say anything........how long should one expect? If you sign up sat would you give input on sunday?
    Thanks.

Default sign up times

Your best chance of testimony is by having someone sign you up on Friday, or be in as early as possible to sign in saturday. Testimony sign in ends at 11. So far no public testimony has begun , so looks grim for wait times. If you miss the first call when your turn comes up, ie saturday, you will have a second call chance either at the end of that day or on Sunday, I'm not sure exactly how thats going to run.

Do you know if it's like the council where one person can make a comment for many like minded people (ie, if they sign up under the same topic or anything?) or does every single person need to get up to say stuff to hammer the points home?

Default public testimony

Everyone gets to have their say. It depends on the chair how long he wants to listen to the same thing over and over again, but everyone gets 3 minutes to testify. He may ask that if you have something to say thats repetetive, you make it brief, but thats as far as it would go. The vast majority of testimony will be from commercial fishing and guides, as they have financial interest in the process. The more average joes that show up, the better.