Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haul RD in April or May???

Default Haul RD in April or May???

I was told a while back that there are caribou to chase around up there in April and May. Has anyone made the trip that time of year and been successful? I went up the end of July last year and had a blast. If I can go in May or April though and avoid all the other hunters I would like to do that. Thanks for any info.

I have never heard of anyone hunting that time of year up there. I'm curious as well, but I would think that they might have moved out of there by then, but it all depends on the snow melt and type of weather during the spring I suppose.

I've filled tags in April before, but May is out of the question. Season ends April 30th. Weather is usually nice, caribou are usually real spooky, especially the cows who are about to drop calves. The bot fly larva is usually big enough to make a meal in itself.

I was looking at this myself. I was considering an earlier run up there, maybe late Feb, but from the feedback I got on the hunting page, I decided to wait until the Mar/Apr timeframe. I heard the Caribou are spooky but still would like to give it a try.

other than looking under the tail is there a good way to tell bulls from cows that time of year?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Yes

The cows depending on the month should be about ready to fold and have big bellies. They may also still have their antlers but may be dropping. The bulls should be antler-less or maybe have nubs starting to appear. The bigger bulls also have a mane. You also might find that the bulls are starting to form bachelor groups as the cows get ready to drop.

You will also find April to be the better month as the season closes on the 30th within the archery zone.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I've shot three cows in April, all had antlers. I actually don't see many bulls while hunting that time of year, mostly cows. I've seen cows with antlers in late May as well. Their belly's are large if they are pregnant and the lower hole from the rear is very easy to spot. Catching them in an ambush has been my most successful way of getting them that time of year.

I've got one tag left for caribou, so I might try to work it off in March this year. I've shot caribou every month they are open now except February and March. I got a real nice bull in December one year that had a beautiful cape but no antlers. I had the cape wet tanned and am waiting for the right rack to go with it.

number of years ago 3 of us drove up in mid april great 4 day trip, cold -20, major blizzard one day, slept in cab of truck.
    saw lots of ptarmigan( estimates from (5-10K in one flock). yes that many out of three of us we got one cow. should have gotten two but i passed shot up.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

holy cow thats a big flock of ptarmigan, explains why most of the unit has a limit of 50 per day

Default Mid to late March

For the last 2 years a group of us has gone up in mid to late March. Taken bou with both rifles and bows on those trips. My suggestion is to call the trucking companies that run up there and ask if they have been seeing bou along the road and at what mile. They've always been honest with me and it saves a trip up there if they aren't anywhere around.

Spotting the herds and seeing where they are moving makes the bow hunting "easy". Can have good luck stalking up the river beds or if they are on top of a ridge that you can get under and pop up on.

It can be cold as hell up there but well worth the trip if the bou are around. Good Luck!!!

My suggestion is to call the trucking companies that run up there and ask if they have been seeing bou along the road and at what mile. They've always been honest with me and it saves a trip up there if they aren't anywhere around.

Wondering if you would share the number if you have it or what trucking companies you called and where I could get the number. I'm thinking about going in march or april

AK POWDER MONKEY- THAT FLOCK WAS UNREAL WE HUNTED IT 4 DAYS BUT NEVER KILL ONE IN THE FLOCK!!!!! MY GUESS WAS ABOUT 5000 THE OTHER TWO GUYS SAID 8-10K THEY WOULD FLUSH WHEN WE WOULD GET WITHIN 80 YARDS PROBABLY ABOUT 1000 AT A TIME. WE DID SHOOT SOME BIRDS BUT WAS FROM SMALLER FLOCKS, <30 / FLOCK.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

10000-20000 eyes watching makes it hard to be sneaky... 100 yard shots might make for good fun in that situation though eh? Not much chance in wounding something if you don't hit it right.

Default updates for march april

anybody have any intel as of yet? Season closes april 30th; may try a run up next couple of weeks.

I am at Alyeska Pump Station right now, and will be here until 3/27. I drove south to Pump Station 4, and continued on to north side of Atigun Pass. There were plenty of small groups of caribou scattered along the route, and within 3/4 mile of Dalton. Was cold today, -15 or -20 in some parts, and breezy later today with some snow. The situation hasn't changed with the caribou since I was last here 2 1/2 weeks ago.

thanks for the update

Richie

Default Caribou Intel Update, 3/9/08

I flew from the Koyukuk River to Pump Station 2 today. A few on the south side of Atigun in the Dietrich River. The situation north of Atigun Pass to Pump Station 3, is about the same as a couple days ago.

currently ambient -33 windchill -48
    would not be a fun day ....i'm probably 120 miles north of toolik

Default Where R U AK Nimrod

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    currently ambient -33 windchill -48
    would not be a fun day ....i'm probably 120 miles north of toolik

AK Nim
    Are in the Prudhoe or Kuparuk oil fields?

I am at TAP Pump Station 3, 100+/- miles S of Prudhoe.

KUPARUK
    WARMED UP TODAY.....-18
    HEARD WE MIGHT BE GETTING A BLOW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast