Thread: seaweed in prince william sound?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default seaweed in prince william sound?

i grew up in southeast and one of the common practices that i havent participated in since i was a kid is gathering seaweed. its the black seaweed i am intrested in and was wondering if anyone had harvested this black seaweed in prince william sound. my mother gets some sent to her occasionally but thats hit and miss and usually is only enough for her for the year. any info would be greatly appreciated. oh and gumboots. anyone have an idea what im talkin about?

Are gumboots a chiton? I see chiton on rock walls all over PWS if that is what you are looking for.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Black seaweed

akRiverrat,

I know what you mean. I was introduced to it in Metlakatla, years ago. I like it dried and eat it like popcorn. Leaves little black specks all seaweed all over your teeth. I also like to dip it in ooligan grease.

Seaweed season is around the corner. I remember that the harvest window is very short. It gets bitter if you pick it too late. I'm thinking around the end of February and first week of March when the sunlight starts reaching it.

Gumboots in butter....yum

I'm not much help with your question about PWS.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

yea gumboots are a chiton i believe. black foot looking mussel with a row or shells down the middle of there back. i helped my grandpa pick them off the rocks with a flat screwdriver. had to brush the seaweed and kelp back to find them. ill have to try and get out during a low tide and check out some of the rocks somewhere out there. seems as though work is always in my way as far as timing goes. better look at the tide book and see if theres a window for me this year.

Default check regs

You might want to check the reg's, as I believe it is illegal to collect seaweed in PWS. We were going to fill up a couple 5 gall buckets before heading home to add to the compopst pile, but after looking at the reg's decided not too. I don't have a clue why it is that way, but I think it's illegal.
    BK

I checked the regs and as of 2007 they made all of prince william sound open season all year to subsistence, except the little inlet that Valdez is in, with no bag limit set. If you find out when the season is down there, let me know and I will be there!!