Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone NOT like their Hard Top Hewes?

Default Does anyone NOT like their Hard Top Hewes?

I have been looking around for a 22-24 hard top boat. I have been very close to getting a Wooldridge but in the back of my head is always been the least expensive 22' hard top extended transom aluminum boat is the hewescraft. Cost isn't a really big issue to me but if its 20k cheaper that really means something. I know I won't have buyers remorse... but

Seems like they (hewes) are the one builder who the dealers like to keep in stock with a hard top. Northriver doesn't build a hard top anymore. There is raider, alumaweld, wooldridge (am getting a quote for a 23' non cuddy hard top), Fishrite, Boulton are the main ones that come to mind.

Any thoughts?

Sobie2

I have the 22' Ocean Pro. I am very happy with this boat. I like the side height with the kids on the deck. Wish I would have gone with the 225 Yamaha.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Ditto

I have a 22' Hewes hardtop and really like it. My only beef is that I have a 115hp engine and do feel underpowered when I'm loaded with people, fish, shrimp pots, and other gear.

If cost isn't really the driving issue for you, why not get the 26' hardtop instead of the 22' or 24'? I've never heard anybody complain about having too much deck space.

I've got the 26' with twin 115's, and it's juuuusssst right . . .

I have a 07 26ft pacific cruiser with twin 115's and love it. Was thinking about a 22 or 24 but pulled deep in my pockets and got the 26 and couldn't be more happy with my choice. The 08 models have some great improvements that I wish I had.

Default Hewes Ht vs pacific cruiser

You know what you want better than me, however I had a 2006 22 ft searunner HT, sold it and bought a 2007 22 ft pacific cruiser. It is amazing how much "more" boat the pacific cruiser seems to be. Having that dinnette makes it worth every penny of difference. Plus I really like the cuddy cabin as we sometimes spend the night on the boat, in fact we used it more often on shore as a camper when we had friends or family with us and there wasn't enough room in the real camper. I do miss having the walk thru front winshield and bow storage but I would NEVER go back to the regular searunner again. If anything I wish the bank account could shoulder a 26ft or larger boat, but that is not meant to be.

Best of luck, I know that just picking out the boat is almost half the fun!

Steve

I looked real hard at the Pacific Cruiser last year when I bought mine, but last year's model had no head (at least Dewey's didn't offer the boat with one) - and that was a deal breaker for getting the woman who lets me live with her. They added the head this year. Nice changes to the '08 PC, but they had very small changes to the 26' Searunner this year - oh yeah, and added $10K to the price.

SH

Ok so far everyone here really likes their Hewescraft. Is there anyone out there who looked at hewes and went with other brand and why?

I still don't mind hearing from hewes lovers. My two pals with hewes love them. One has the Ocean Pro 22 and the other the non Ocean Pro 22 hard top ext trans... he only wishes he had the Ocean Pro.

Sobie2

They are a nice boat and a good value. I decided to have a custom boat built instead, mainly because the Hewes did not have a sealed (double) floor. I also did not want the extended transom because I hate halibut fishing over those things when anchored. It seems the engines are always in the way when trolling or fish on too. The Hewes that were available didn't have a covered bow either...something that I find necessary in rough seas, not to mention the added room underneith. Oh yeah, there were some other weird negatives like I couldn't reach the rocket launchers (rod holders). All in all a very nice boat. I almost bought one, but I had a bigger, wider, custom boat built instead. I know Hewes has made many changes since then, and they have more models now.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Water View Post
    They are a nice boat and a good value. I decided to have a custom boat built instead, mainly because the Hewes did not have a sealed (double) floor. I also did not want the extended transom because I hate halibut fishing over those things when anchored. It seems the engines are always in the way when trolling or fish on too. The Hewes that were available didn't have a covered bow either...something that I find necessary in rough seas, not to mention the added room underneith. Oh yeah, there were some other weird negatives like I couldn't reach the rocket launchers (rod holders). All in all a very nice boat. I almost bought one, but I had a bigger, wider, custom boat built instead. I know Hewes has made many changes since then, and they have more models now.
    Is the boat, shown as your avatar, a Bayweld?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default that was then this is now

When I purchased my 21ft wooldridge deep water plus hard top (not the cuddy cabin) back in 2001 (I think) hewes only offered the 22ft without a swim step. It is my opion that the wooldridge was a much better design. Heres why. 1st, in an ocean boat you do not want an open bow. It will only take one wave to add about 200 gallons of water to the nose of wich those two little holes will not drain before the next wave hits wich will probally go through the winshields. Also there is alot of wasted space under the bow that you can not use if you want to keep your things dry. 2nd, without a space saver transom the 22ft model felt like an 18ft model. 3rd, If you have an engine fail in large sees the space saver transom can handle large waves from the back the standard transom can not. 4th, hewes likes to bury there batterys and fuel filters and such like that behind cheasy plastic doors. Good luck working on that expecially when your rolling in large waves. The 21ft wooldridge will take on the same size water as the 26ft hewes. There are many other small things also but those were the major ones. I THINK MANY OF THESE THINGS HEWES HAS CHANGED SINCE. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A PACIFIC CRUISER IT LOOKS NICE. THE QUALITY OF A HEWES IS GOOD. It has always been my belief that hewes is making as much money as they can on there boats the same is true for everyone. So if other manufactures cost more for an equivalent boat there probally is a reason. Hewes craft are to the aluminum boat world the same as bayliner is the the fiberglass world

I owned one before I bought my Sea Sport and enjoyed it as it was the first boat I owned that I could take off Deep Creek and not be to paranoid about the weather.
    I liked the boat, wife enjoyed it, was a nice boat to fish out of.
    There prices have gotten outrageous though. Before I bought our current Sea Sport I wanted to get into a 24-26 Hewescraft with the hardtop but after pricing everything out our 24 foot Sea Sport XL with the larger motor, rear helm station and a few other goodies was actually less expensive.
    Not here to debate the fiberglass/alunimum issue.
    If i were in the market for another boat I would certainly consider a Hewes but not for the same money as the Sea Sport. Personaly I think Wooldridge builds a much nicer boat than Hewes.
    Tennessee

I just got my quote for a 23' Supersport Offshore xl with high sides, hard top, AK bulkhead down rigger brackets trailer, and 200hp etec delivered an it was 66K (which is full retail) plus a 3 month delivery date as they have just been swamped.

I have a flyer from Tom-N-Jerrys for the 2008 22 Oceanpro with 200 honda, 9.9 honda trailer radio gps downriggers etc for 62K list 69,9

Snowwolfe brings up a good point fiberglass alum debate except the treasurer in my house wants aluminum.

Still like to hear opinions rants raves dislikes on why or why not Hewes...

I guess the argument is everyone has a hewes... so there must be a reason... and it doesn't make sense to want something different just for the sake of being different.

Sobie2

A friend of mine opted for the Duckworth silverwing with a 3/4 hard top because he can take the front piece off, and according to him, not be as affected by the wind while trolling because it acts as a tunnel instead of a parachute. just my $.02

I would agree Hewes are the Bayliner of Aluminums. There affordable, available here, and if its your first and only boat or better than your last, you don't notice a difference. There is an old saying referred to cheap boats that are replicas to the real thing: "Poormans yachts". Tollycraft had been called that back in the day, but not because it wasn't a hell of a good vessel, just that it had all the amenities of the larger ones but much smaller, thus affordable. Bayliners could be called a poormans yacht "now" because it is actually cheap in many aspects pricewise and quality. (Did ya' look at the cabinetry real close in the Hewes, is that partical board with formica?)

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    I have a flyer from Tom-N-Jerrys for the 2008 22 Oceanpro with 200 honda, 9.9 honda trailer radio gps downriggers etc for 62K list 69,9

Still like to hear opinions rants raves dislikes on why or why not Hewes...

I guess the argument is everyone has a hewes... so there must be a reason... and it doesn't make sense to want something different just for the sake of being different.

Sobie2
    I got my 2007 Ocean Pro four months ago from Tom-N Jerrys. I shopped everywhere and they seemed to have the best deal. I got the same as mentioned above minus a radio and gps for 53K including shipping to SE AK. Included hardtop/bulkhead, Honda 200, Honda 9.9 kicker (2008 model), rear steering, washdown, trim tabs, ezloader trailer with hydraulic brakes, and Honda through in a free EU 1000 generator as well as the 5yr warranty. Are the prices that much higher for a 2008 model? I looked long and hard at other boats but could not find anything that would compare for the price.

Default Weldcraft OceanKing 22ET

I have the OceanKing, neighbor has the Hewes Oceanpro with exact same motors. I really like how my boat is finished by comparison and the two boats run and handle identical. I have way better cabin room and storage, its quieter and the finish welds and interior are much nicer, better fish storage. IMO.

Guys are probably getting tired of me bragging on this boat but i am very pleased with it

Bear in mind that I own a Hewes 26' when I say this:

You are "missing the boat" so to speak if you buy a new hewes/weldcraft/boulton/wooldridge, without having made a trip to Vancouver Island and lower mainland BC to check out some of the other boats available. Down there, excellent design and craftsmanship is the rule, boats are built with self-bailing decks, and you can do well in spite of the exchange rate. Lifetimer, Wolfboats, Silverstreak, among others.

Thumbs up What about Alaska?

Have you forgotten about all the Alaska builders; Sea State One, Silver Streak, Bayweld, A-Tech and others.....

Quote Originally Posted by Vek View Post
    Bear in mind that I own a Hewes 26' when I say this:

You are "missing the boat" so to speak if you buy a new hewes/weldcraft/boulton/wooldridge, without having made a trip to Vancouver Island and lower mainland BC to check out some of the other boats available. Down there, excellent design and craftsmanship is the rule, boats are built with self-bailing decks, and you can do well in spite of the exchange rate. Lifetimer, Wolfboats, Silverstreak, among others.

Glaciercraft, the style of aluminum boats and craftsmanship that we've all come to love originated in BC and VI. Those guys know how to "get 'er done!". Yes, there's some great Alaskan boat builders (I used one), but Vek is right about making sure you check out the Canadians. They set the standard and style for the Alaskan builders.
    Here's some of my favorites....
    http://www.seawolfmarine.com/boats/index.html
    http://www.eaglecraft.bc.ca/
    http://lifetimer.bc.ca/
    http://www.wolfboats.com/
    http://www.coastalcraft.com/commercial.html
    http://www.armstrongmarine.com/
    http://www.silverstreakboats.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast