Thread: One sheep every 4 years?

Default One sheep every 4 years?

Does anyone know the outcome of the proposal put before the Board of Game changing the regulation to one sheep every four years for everyone throughout the state (including residents)?

This proposal (#68) was put in by a guide from the lower 48 and rumored to be supported by guides here in AK. The same guide claims to have been instumental in getting the regulations changed to drawing for sheep in 14 and 13 on his website.

Default A meeting tomorrow

Brian,

We have an advisory meeting tomorrow and will find out more. Of course most guides are for it as it only benefits them. It ONLY hurts Alaska resident hunters!

Default Proposal #68

It Failed.

Good news wildlife tech, thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildlife Tech View Post
    It Failed.
    Do you know this for a fact? I hope so. I submitted written comments against this one.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Whoo Hoooooo! I sent in comments against this one also. I haven't heard any results from the BOG meeting, except denning didn't pass. Mainstream media don't give a darn about hunting/outdoor issues unless they're controversial or Defenders of Wildlife brings it to their attention.

Tim

fine with me in draw areas
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    fine with me in draw areas
    Except the proposal was for statewide. Harvest or draw.

We already have some limitations for drawing again in DCUA and TMA. TMA is 1 in 4, or is it 3. If you draw DCUA you can't apply for the same hunt the next year. walk in or motor in.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I think the better solution is that out of state hunters should be totally shut off every 4 years. In others words, no out of state hunters can get a tag in 2009, 2013, 2017, etc. Would cut down the overall number of sheep taken and still allow the in state hunters their current rights.

I would have to think non-residents don't hunt sheep up here more than 1 or 2 times in a lifetime anyway... For the $10,000+ it costs, I can't see how they could afford much more than that....

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post

We already have some limitations for drawing again in DCUA and TMA. TMA is 1 in 4, or is it 3. If you draw DCUA you can't apply for the same hunt the next year. walk in or motor in.
    yup and I'd really like if the chugach went to a system like this mostly because I'd really like to be able to walk out of my house into the mountains, harvest a sheep then walk back to my house, that'd be really cool.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

yup and I'd really like if the chugach went to a system like this mostly because I'd really like to be able to walk out of my house into the mountains, harvest a sheep then walk back to my house, that'd be really cool.
    You can. (What's stopping you?)

I've done so, and I didn't need a new law making drawings even more restictive to do it. If someone could show me that a significant number of folks are winning more than one Chugach tag within four years, I might be willing to consider it...but otherwise we need to keep it as it is, as a random draw is the very definition of fair.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911-MW View Post
    I think the better solution is that out of state hunters should be totally shut off every 4 years. In others words, no out of state hunters can get a tag in 2009, 2013, 2017, etc. Would cut down the overall number of sheep taken and still allow the in state hunters their current rights.

I would have to think non-residents don't hunt sheep up here more than 1 or 2 times in a lifetime anyway... For the $10,000+ it costs, I can't see how they could afford much more than that....
    Interesting thought. Although there might some federal law against something like that. Even so, that would mean ZERO income for the state those years and unfortunately at this point most of the $$ for management comes from sales of non res tags. I'm not so sure we will be able to get any kind of limitations on nr hunts until we can get more money to the state coffers for game management from somewhere else, like resident harvest tag fees. Otherwise, any proposal limiting nr tag sales means loss of revenue for the state. That dog won't hunt...

Go for it. But, only do it once every 4 years.

Hunting guides shouldn't be allowed to make proposals to the BoG, especially when the majority of them see nothing but $$$ signs when they write up something, or it benefits themselves and not the animals.

Prop # 68 can clearly be seen as a ploy to keep residents out of the mountains, or some of them, and to get more non-residents in the mountains to chase sheep around.