Thread: 7mm Mag or .300 Win Mag?

Default 7mm Mag or .300 Win Mag?

Gentleman,
    A buddy of mine is looking for a new rifle. He is deliberating over a 7 Mag or a .300 Win Mag. I gave him my nickels worth of advice which didn't take long. I don't shoot either caliber but told him I knew where I could get some good advice. So I'm posting it out to everyone. I recommended the .300 Win mag or maybe the short mag version because of the higher bullet weights when you need it. He is looking at the weight of the rifle which of course depends on the model you purchase yet he is also looking at the versatility. Not sure if he has a particular brand in mind but I know he would appreciate some advice on the two calibers. What grain of ammo you like the best etc. I believe his intentions are moose, caribou etc.

As always, thanks in advance.
    Brian

If moose will be an intended target, I'd go with the 300wm.

I have a 7mmMag that is specifically a sheep gun. I absolutely love it for its intended purpose, and wouldn't hesitate to use it on caribou as well. That being said, when chasing moose I leave it at home in favor of a 30-06 or 338. For a gun that does it all, though, a 300wm is hard to beat.

Both calibers are good, but i'd go with the 300 everytime. It's real hard to beat any of the magnum 30's, especially when heavy for caliber bullets are used.

Default choice

Get them both! OK, flip a coin! OK, choose the 7mm Mag. I have used it in the past and some folks I have hunted with had wonderful success on Caribou, Moose, and Blackbear with premium ammunition. I realize I will be probably in the minority with the votes. But it has a proven record as a reliable caliber. What rifle are you considering?

Default 300 Wm

The 300Win MAG would be and was my choice. It has a wide variety of both standard and premium bullets for a wide variety of animals little to big. If you intend to reload, the 30 caliber bullets are the most common bullets available. I've hunted a lot with my 300 and it's never failed to hold up it's end of the bargain. The 300 WM is about the upper end of most hunters recoil comfort level.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

If you are after moose and caribou it doesn't really matter both will do the job as will any number of smaller cartridges. If you are concerned about bruins then all things being equal, bigger is better and neither is as good as a .338. Recoil of the 300 is a little harsh, I shot a 7mm remington that felt like a heavy .270 win load ie: easy. With light bullets you can get lazer beam trajectory for sheep.
    If this is the only choice though, 300 mag is a better one for Alaska.

The 300Win Mag
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I don't notice any difference between the two up through moose. My 7 has been sterling moose smacker with 160 grain partitions. No slower or less likely to die than with my 300. If an interior griz was on the scene, I'd feel comfortable with either there too. But move over to the coast where the bears are a lot bigger, and I'd probably feel more comfortable with the 300, but I certainly wouldn't hunt them with either.

I'd pick the rifle model and weight that best suited, then look at the hole in the bore. I don't think you can go wrong with either till you decide to hunt coastal brown bear. Then neither one is right in my book.

I'm happy with my .300WM Ruger M77MarkII, if I miss it is my fault. My dad has a 7mmRem Mag, and one moose has been bagged with it so far. Can't go wrong with either choice, both shoot well, and you have a fair amount of factory ammo to choose from. Shot placement is key, even with coastal grizzlies, as I know a guy that shot the record with a .308.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I vote for the 7mm Mag. because I don't want or need the additional recoil of a 300 Mag.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default 7mm vs .300 WinMag

Quote Originally Posted by USMC RET View Post
    Gentleman,
    A buddy of mine is looking for a new rifle. ...He is looking at the weight of the rifle which of course depends on the model you purchase yet he is also looking at the versatility.

As always, thanks in advance.
    Brian
    If you are not depending on it for protection against dangerous game, I would recomment a Ruger #1 in .300 WinMag All the versatility of the loads available in the long cartridge, the wide variety of 30 caliber bullet choices and light weight with the shorter length and easy pointability of the single shot rifle.

Larry

Thumbs up 7mm mag

Have a nice Colt Sauer in 7mm Mag for sale......99% condition.

Default 7 Mag

would be my personal choice. I'll admit to a bias though as that's what my dad has carried as long as I can remember and also what I've carried for the last 6-8 years and have yet to be disappointed. I'd say to a degree it would depend on whether he plans to reload for it or buy factory ammo. I've had great luck with reloads using 140 Barnes TSX's on everything I've used them for so far. I can't give a real world experience opinion on moose. As far as theories go though, I'd bet that it'd do the job just fine.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Default .300 Win. Mag.

The .300 Win. Mag. is more versatile than the 7mm in terms of ammo availability and bullet weights. Heavier bullet weights are appropriate for large game so the .300 WM gets the nod.

300 WSM in the new Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS

Default 7mm

7mm Mag gets the job done and you have less recoil than a 300 win.

Default 7mm mag. or .300 Win. Mag.

Having hunted with both, I would go with the .300 Win Mag. The 7mm mag. has taken a lot of game all over the world and quite a bit for me. With premium bullets and ideal situations it works well, even on heavy beasts. Hunting shots are seldom ideal, and it doesn't have the reserve capacity and bullet weight to cover that.

For Alaska hunting, of course, considering grizzleys and browns often inhabit Moose territory, and grizzleys inhabit caribou, sheep, and goat territory, I will recommend the .338 Win. mag.

Now that my prejudice is out of the way, go with the .300 mag. if that is the biggest your friend will consider. It is more versatile. You didn't say if your friend reloads. If he is a reloader, by all means, go with the .300 Win. Mag. The WSMs do not achieve advertised velocities with the powders available to reloaders. They are stuck with factory ammo at high prices or reduced loads. The .300 Win. mag. is very versatile, being loadable with bullets from 110 to 250 grains. The .300WSM, with it's almost mandatory factory loads peaks out at 180 gr. bullets.

Using the .300 Win mag., use a Nosler 180 gr. partition or 180 gr. Barnes TSX for Caribou (and deer, sheep and goat), and a 200 or 220 gr. Nosler Partition or Barnes TSX or Swift A-Frame in the same weights for moose (or bear). The 180 grns. will work for black bear; definitely use the 200 or 220 gr. for moose and grizzly. Hunt Sitka blacktail with 200 gr. Nosler Partition, Barnes 200 gr. TSX, Swift A-Frame 200 gr. or heavier (because they tend to share the rain with brownies). Savage makes a dandy rifle that weighs 7 lbs., 4 oz. in .300 Win. Mag. with an Accu-trigger and muzzle brake and aluminum pillar bedding for a bit over $700 list, less at the counter.
    Jack.

Angry No question

300 W.M. . I used one for years with 250 gr. Barnes originals on deer , moose and caribou , worked great . I only dropped it after my griz hunting buddy moved Outside , I knew I could outrun him if I had to .

Default Keep it coming

Thanks for all the great advice. I've passed it on to him so he can make a good choice. This is why I love the forum, good advice from "field testers" everywhere.

Brian

I vote for the 7mm Mag. It will hold it's point of impact with the varmit bullets on up to the heavies . I had 2 of the 300 win's and they were fine but but were heavier kickers and I feel the difference is made up by good shooting with the 7mm. I only shot hand loads in them. I don't care for factory stuff except to get the brass. They all shot inside 11/4 and the 7mm tries to get in 1/2" It's great