Thread: Glassin' For Blackies ??

Default Glassin' For Blackies ??

I have a choice to make and would like to get a little help. I have bear hunted the sound / moose pass area in the past. I have never been up the haul road though. I'd love to be able to make the trip and see the haul road and the artic, but want to be able to do this while filling a spring bear tag too. Is glassing up a bear an option while doing so? What kinda odds / and weather will I find mid-late May during this trip ??
    Thanks, Scott

No black bears on the north slope.

What about South of the pass and what kinda weather would I find if I went up to see what I'm missing ?? We don't have that seenery in Illinois. Do have the big corn fed deer though. Thanks

Default just my thoughts

I would think that there are black bear south of the pass--but contact an expert like a local fish/game rep/area biologists. The view is amazing up and thru the pass--but for the money you are going to put into it, many more blackies that are easier accesible, not to mention that south of the pass I think you still have to be 5 miles off of the road to hunt with a gun. Good Luck

Smile black bear

( I ) never seen to many blk.bear traveling up north . I did see a sow with three cubs north of Coldfoot ( two yrs. ago ) . And i saw a big bore once north of the Yukon ( two yrs.ago ) . Check out a area biologist . As far as weather , BE PREPARED FOR ANYTHING . ( BUGS TOO ) Good luck in your search

Default Black bear on the Dalton

In my ventures north, one time I saw two very large black bear. But, most of it is bowhunting only, and I do not think the black bear density is very high. The scenery is magnificent, but success rate on black bear probably is not very high. I did attempt a stalk with my bow on the two I saw, but did not have enough cover to pull it off.

Default To early

I used to bait in that direction and we didn't start seeing bears until late May at the earliest. It stays colder up there i bit longer so they take a while longer.Personaly l'd head a different direction.
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

I've seen Black Bears Between Livengood and Coldfoot. As you get further north of Finger most sightings have been in areas where there is a creek or river that provides lots of trees and cover auch as Jim River, Prospect Creek, Fish Creek, Bonanza Creek. South of the Yukon I've seen a few in the Hess Creek area. They paved the road South of PS 5 a few years ago and the next spring blackies could be seen eating the green grass on the shoulder quite often. I don't know how effective spot and stalk would be in the spring as they tend to stay in the thick stuff. Not to say it couldn't be done but I would think it would take a lot of time to get much in the way of results.