Thread: Another sleeping bag thread- Big Agnes system

Default Another sleeping bag thread- Big Agnes system

Since we are talking about sleeping bags ang the Big Agnes bag/pad system is unique I thought I start it's own thread.

Has anyone ever tried or seen a Big Agnes bag/pad system? I can see pros and cons. For those who don't know, the bottom of the bag has no insulation since it gets squashed when you lay in a bag anyway. Instead they have a sleeve that you put your pad into. Your own or theirs. I already have a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core mummy pad. 2.5inch tubes, primaloft insulation, rated to 15 degrees. This bag weighs 1lb 14ozs. http://www.bigagnes.com/str_bags.php?bid=21

Anyone have any experience with this setup?? Opinions, general impressions?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I am surprised that there is not more response to this. I have found them to be awesome bags and I doubt I will be trying any others soon unless they adopt a similar style.

1) They are fantastic bags for big guys. Their bags weigh roughly the same as competitors in the same degree range. However, since the bottom insulation is the pad they take the extra material and make the bag portion bigger. Until I found the Big Angess system I could not find a mummy bag to fit my big shoulders (and fat gut).

2) The pad in a pocket design is fantastic. Sheep hunting in 2005 we were forced to pitch a tent behind a big rock in an alder patch because it was the only place we could hide from three rams we were seeing up the valley. Our only choice was about a 10deg slope. We pitched the tent with our feet pointed downhill and crawled into bed. My buddy spend the night climbing back up to the top of the tent as he slid down every ten minutes. Me, I sled soundly since my bag and pad were one unit.

3) Housekeeping in the tent is way easier when your bag and pad are bonded. Just pick up the whole thing and lean it against a rock or tree to let it dry or shake out the dirt.

4) No more getting wadded up in a knot with your bag if you are a restless sleeper.

Now, you HAVE to get the insulated pad if you get less than a 20 degree bag. You will freeze without it. Don't skimp just to save weight.

Default cold ground...

I really wanted to get the Big Agnes bags but could not get past the fact that there is no insulation in the bottom. The suitability of these bags is heavily dependent on where you are using them in my opinion. We float NW Alaska rivers each Fall fly fishing for dollies out of our Ally pack canoes. We are on gravel obviously and a puncture in the sleeping pad could happen easily. I would be afraid of the pad failing and then I would freeze my a#$ off for sure. I found a Cabelas Boundary Waters bag instead. They weigh 3 lbs (for long 0 degree) and are VERY roomy. At 6'6" 310 lbs, it is a requirement. They pack to the size of a basketball and come with compression dry bags that are great. I did like the Big Agnes idea, but when faced with the possibility of a puncture in the sleeping pad, the idea faded quickly.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ater&noImage=0
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

steepandcheep.com had the agnes 3lb bag for $80 this week.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Ive seen the big agnes pad and bag on their multiple times on steepandcheep.com, keep looking and you'll find a steal for sure!

QUICK!

Big Agnes Crater Sleeping Bag: 15 Degree Down w/ Mummy Pad
    $146.33
    52% Off, Regularly $304.95

Steepandcheap.com!!!!!!!!!

Thumbs up Big Agnes

OK,

Once you get past the name...What the ? It is a solid system. Why didn't they call it Large Marge? I do not think it would hurt sales.

Anyway, I was able to buy a bag that went to 0 instead of a bag that was rated to 20 at the same weight. I am a cold sleeper and wanted more heat and was doubtful the "No Insulation on bottom was a smart move. It is fine and it works...just get an insulated sleeping pad. I even expected to put my clothes under the bag and pad but it was not necessary. My hunting partner was freezing and I was like a piece of white toast...nice and warm.

The best thing is you can get a roomy bag as I did because I roll at night.

Matt

I bought one of their pads - no bag - and it failed on me the first night. Patched it and it failed in another spot. Since then I don't trust anything that needs to hold air, only foam. LOTS of guys love their stuff though.

Perry,

I used the Big Agnes Encampment bag on my hunt. I used a pro light 4 pad. It worked great, but the weather was pretty good. I was also worried about their pad leaking, thus I bought the Thermalrest. If it was a later hunt, I might be a little more concerned about my lighter pad. The bag is well built, and very cosy.

Default I got one

The Big Agnes is for me...I hope. I got one to go out in and I'll be trying it out tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. It came rated pretty high.
    Later

Default Very nice Bag

I did camp in a cabin - but the bag was very comfortable with the pad inserted into the bottom. Plenty of room to turn over. I never zipped it up all they way. If I use it in a tent I'll let you know how that was. But the Pad inserted is a good idea.
    Later

Thumbs up Big Agnes works

Quote Originally Posted by campingfoool View Post
    I did camp in a cabin - but the bag was very comfortable with the pad inserted into the bottom. Plenty of room to turn over. I never zipped it up all they way. If I use it in a tent I'll let you know how that was. But the Pad inserted is a good idea.
    Later
    I didn't say it before, but I have been in my bag at temps in the teens. I was comfortable and warm. No complaints from me. It is hard to wrap your brain around a bag with NO insulation on the bottom and buy it. Once everyone figures out they compress the dead air space in their bag anyway by being in it; the bag starts making sense. Mine is also big enough (Farwell) that I can roll in it like a crocodile!

I thought about what I would do if my pad lost air. I brought along a foam pad just in case, clothes under the bag, etc.

Matt