Thread: Early Early Season Caribou

Default Early Early Season Caribou

Just wondering if anybody could tell me about early season caribou hunting. I know it opens July 1st in unit 26. Where are they at that time? What's the hunting like? Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

They all like to meet up on the Noname River July 1st. Then they all split up and run helterskelter across Unit 26 as the bugs drive them crazy. Pick a spot and wait.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    They all like to meet up on the Noname River July 1st. Then they all split up and run helterskelter across Unit 26 as the bugs drive them crazy. Pick a spot and wait.
    if the bugs don't drive you crazy
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

How's the antler development that early? Where's noname river?

bobblehead - noname creek doesn't exist. "No name" is a clever way of saying that "I'm not going to tell you my secret spot". Another such example is "notellum mountain".

Antler development is incomplete. If you want an impressive mount, it's not the time to hunt. If you want a great experience (and don't mind lots of bugs), July can be great. Care must be taken with meat, though, as higher temperatures can lead to faster meat spoilage.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    bobblehead - noname creek doesn't exist. "No name" is a clever way of saying that "I'm not going to tell you my secret spot". Another such example is "notellum mountain".
    I'm not hiding any secret spots. Other than the fact a large number of females will be on the calving grounds near the coast NOBODY KNOWS where these nomadic animals will be July 1st of next year. They are anywhere, everywhere and nowhere in Unit 26 and as soon as you turn around it'll change.

Thanks, I was more or less wondering if it would be in the foothills of the Brooks Range or on the windy coast escaping the bugs.

Default generally speaking

the first part of July the cows and calfs will be together closer to the coast than in the area between the brooks and the water. The bulls will mostly be in bachelor herds, or smaller bands in the same general areas. There will be juvenile bulls with the cow herds but they are hard to distinguish from the cows... and in a bull only hunt that becomes critical.

the racks are still soft and developing.... you won't see anything really impressive that time of year.

The temps on the slope swing widely that time of year... you can have 70 degrees and bug central at 1 pm and by 8 pm it can be cold and foggy with no bugs.... it swings heavily and the bous are influenced pretty strongly by the weather shifts....

Quote Originally Posted by AkGreg View Post
    the first part of July the cows and calfs will be together closer to the coast than in the area between the brooks and the water. The bulls will mostly be in bachelor herds, or smaller bands in the same general areas.
    Except for the thousands of herds and smaller bands that will be roaming near the Brooks and in the Brooks and in every drainage north. Not a one of which can be counted on to be in the same area each July 1st.

Thanks for the info, can you do any early season hunting from the haul road? Or do you need a air charter drop off? I know Caribou are where you find them, just trying to get an idea of what it's like that early. I've never hunted them that early.