Thread: Skilak Lake

Default Skilak Lake

Quick question is it ok to fish for kings in or around the outflow from Skilak Lake ....last time over did see a few boats in or around this area ...just wanted to make sure we kept on the right side of the law when we come over in july

cheers

Yes it is legal, from the outlet down, fish tend to be on the red side later in July.
    I am sending you a PM.

Default Agreed

Yukon is correct, for now. I am expecting the board of fish to make some adjustments to the regulations related to king fishing in the middle Kenai. So, stay tuned...

So, legal yes, ethical ????? Other than a photo, and a bent rod, the spawning kings are not particularly the greatest food quality. They are certainly more vulnerable to fishing pressure; i.e. they may be more likely to strike a plug because they are protecting the redds, but they are also more vulnerable to succumb to the stress of being caught.

My vote is, they made it that far... let them spawn and protect the future king runs.

THe majority of July kings spawn below the Soldotna bridge. There are some good kings below Skilak but the later you get the more red they are. The King fishing is not that great below the lake. Sportfishermen have to be careful about closing spawning areas due to the precedent that the entire river above Eagle Rock is a spawning bed. There are a ton of arguments for and against closing certain areas, unless F&G declares a biological need I am infavor of keeping areas of the river open for anglers, both guided and non-guided.
    I am not sure which proposals Akfishingguides is talking about, I haven't seen those, I know there are some in there about middle river trout but I don't remember seeing any about middle river kings, although I could be wrong. As always with Alaska, make sure you check and double check the regs.

a huge thanks for the info ......will check the regs before we arrive

cheers

Default Proposal???

Yukon,

Not referring to any particular proposal at this point, however scuttlebut has it that if not brought forward this cycle, I expect it will be very soon.

What I have heard suggested is the retention of the slot limit above the bridge through the end of king season, and also retaining the sanctuary areas like Slikok and Funny River (and others) closures throughout the entire king season.

Though I agree with you that I hate to give anything up, because it always seems to be a one-way road, I do understand the value of protecting these areas.

Best advice, as already stated is to STUDY the regs, ask questions, even call those who would be enforcing the regs for interpretations (however I have received opposite information from different officers on some interpretations).

I have heard of those proposals as well. I was thinking more along the lines of closing the Kenai to king fishing above the Soldotna bridge or above Bings. There are some who want to close it all, not just extending the sanctuaries. I would not like to see that happen.