Thread: Exped Orion

Default Exped Orion

Well I couldn't take it anymore so I threw down and bought the Exped Orion tent. I found 1 place that had them in stock and they are marked down, got it for $363 shipped to Alaska. I conversed with their USA counterpart, Outdoor Research, trying to decide if I should get one. After getting his last e-mail and with the qouted price he gave me I had to get it. This tent is suppose to combine the best of both worlds, tunnel and freestanding and came out # 1 during a 7 tent shootout in Europe. If your looking for a good tent, consider looking at one of these.

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped...E?openframeset

Ya, that looks great. Free standing and has the poles in the outer tent. Should keep it from flapping around in the wind like a typical tent/fly setup. That's one thing I liked about that single wall tnf i had/have. No noisy rain fly flapping in the wind.

Congrats, should be a bomber tent.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Thanks, I can't believe it took me this long to find a dang tent! I really like the Hillebergs but man they are spendy and their offering of freestanding tents are limited. Maybe in another year or 2 they will develop a few more then I will have more choices when I'm ready to buy again.

Ya I know what you mean about price etc. The challenge is to find an acceptable compromise/balance between features, price and weight. The Big Agnes Madhouse 2 looks interesting also. Pitches like a regular tent, throw over the rainfly, but it has a third pole in the rainfly. http://www.moontrail.com/big-agnes-mad-house2.php

I still think I like the inner/outer setup better though like your Orion and the Hillebergs. I suppose with the Orion you can pitch it as one unit or pitch the outer and then "hang" the inner?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Yes, I believe you can pitch it that way but i'd have to check to be sure. That Mad House 2 is actually one of the tents that I considered buying before commiting to the Orion. It's got a cool vestibule that looks big enough to hold a good amount of gear. Thats a good price on it too but for $363 shipped the Orion was just to good a deal to pass on. To have OR order you an Exped Orion Extreme from Europe it would cost you over $740 plus shipping. I got mine from GearX.com and they were the only one to have it in stock.

I looked at that tent at Moontrail and I think ya done good by going with it, its very similar to the Allak for a whole bunch less money. 7lbs is just a wee bit more weight than my target weight but for all I know I have lost my sanity in the paralysis of analysis! On a side note I like how Expeds' website shows several photos of all the Exped tents in actual wilderness use.

Yeah, it's a tad heavy but i'm not as weight concious as a lot of folks here, plus I can always split it with my pard. I think Moontrail is where I first saw it, then when I tried to find one obly GearX had them in stock, everyone else was out. With all the new tents people are buying it will be interesting to see some reviews on them, hopefully they will be good ones!!

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    ...With all the new tents people are buying it will be interesting to see some reviews on them, hopefully they will be good ones!!
    Check it out.... look how many awesome tents are on the market. I bet with any of these high quality tents there really ain't a bad one in the bunch. We are very fortunate to be living in this day and age where we can use this kind of stuff.

Maybe we should try a retro sheep hunt someday. Thin leather boots, wool everything for clothes, coated canvas for rain gear, canvas boy scout style pup tent. nice canvas/down sleeping bag. Pad?... how about another piece of canvas. . A big heavy metal Bausch and lomb spotting scope. Range finder??... ya right. The good news is that retro binos could be Zeiss Wood blue rifle,caliber of your choice with a weaver 4X scope. An alcohol stove, no mountain house. Maybe some canned sea rats. Water filter? huh.... nalgene bottles...? how about a cantene. Then throw it all on a nice wooden packboard with a canvas bag with a strap for a waist belt, grab your wooden/steel ice axe and go kill a ram!

Now, if we just had the sheep of 50 years ago we'd be all set.

Got my Orion yesterday and set it up in the living room, to darn cold to do it outside! I have to say that I am quite impressed with the build of this thing, and it's definitly a 4 season bomber tent. Took me about 10 minutes to set it up and that is only because it was my first time. Lots of vestibule space and it came with 2 gear lofts, a small one on the inside of one of the vestibules and a larger one inside the tent just below the roof. I have to admit, the Europeans got it right when it comes to designing expedition type tents. Simple things that make setting it up a breeze plus a few little odds and ends that you don't see on most American made tents. Stout tent stakes, not the cheap little straight ones that bend when you pound them in the ground, repair material if it should rip or tear, extra guy lines with stuff sacks and small pole segments in case something should happen to one of them, all wrapped up in an easy to use stuff sack. I cannot wait to set this thing up and spend a little time in it.

Snyd!!!!! You are getting too good at spending my money!!!!! I think am gonna throw down on that Mad House Big Agnes tent when I get back from Carlsbad, Ca in a week. Thankfully I should pull som OT to cover it. 90"x58" with 22sf vestibule space is just what I need. The orion tent looks amazing as well but I am a big guy and don't want to spoon with my hunting partner! My cousin and I are close but we have our limits!

Oh how quick we change our minds! I think I found the tent (I THINK)...
    http://www.bdel.com/gear/mesa.php

From Backcountry.com:
    "The Black Diamond Mesa 2-Person 3-Season Tent provides the strength, weather protection, and versatility of a double-wall design with a low weight anyone appreciates. Though it weighs only 4lb 8oz, the Mesa Tent includes double doors for easy access and two vestibules to stash your gear out of the weather. A SilNylon fly keeps off all moisture while helping keep weight to a minimum. Black Diamond designed the Mesa Tent with steep sidewalls to increase usable floor space and make your time in tent city a little more comfortable."

Weight: Tent and poles: 2.04 kg (4 lb 8 oz) Packaged: 2.32 kg (5 lb 2 oz) Vestibule: Included Ground cloth: 325 g (11 oz) estimated Dimensions: 229 cm x 147 cm x 112 cm (90 x 58 x 44 )Packed Size: 48 cm x 20 cm (19 x 8 )Area: 3.37 m2 (36.25 sq ft)"

Thoughts?

Thumbs up I agree about Black Diamond...

I agree on the Black Diamond. I got the Guiding Light. Perfect for two people and gear. A two person tent is fit for one if you ask me. Amazing tent. Roomy, two doors, freestanding, easy to put up, weighs 5 lbs, packs super small, and drum tight. What more could you want? I used it while floating the Goodnews in SW Alaska this past Sept. Held up to driving wind and rain with ease. Great tents!

http://www.bdel.com/gear/guiding_light.php
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Oh how quick we change our minds! I think I found the tent (I THINK)...
    http://www.bdel.com/gear/mesa.php

From Backcountry.com:
    "The Black Diamond Mesa 2-Person 3-Season Tent provides the strength, weather protection, and versatility of a double-wall design with a low weight anyone appreciates. Though it weighs only 4lb 8oz, the Mesa Tent includes double doors for easy access and two vestibules to stash your gear out of the weather. A SilNylon fly keeps off all moisture while helping keep weight to a minimum. Black Diamond designed the Mesa Tent with steep sidewalls to increase usable floor space and make your time in tent city a little more comfortable."

Weight: Tent and poles: 2.04 kg (4 lb 8 oz) Packaged: 2.32 kg (5 lb 2 oz) Vestibule: Included Ground cloth: 325 g (11 oz) estimated Dimensions: 229 cm x 147 cm x 112 cm (90 x 58 x 44 )Packed Size: 48 cm x 20 cm (19 x 8 )Area: 3.37 m2 (36.25 sq ft)"

Thoughts?
    I used that tent on my sheep hunt last year. I have nothing bad to say about it, it worked well but we didn't have any bad weather to speak of. 2 doors, 2 vestibules, seemed hard to get it taut as far as the fly goes, which led me to believe that in heavy wind the fly would have been a flapping. Can you tell by the mess that we just got back to camp with the ram.