Thread: Talleys for Kimber Montana

Default Talleys for Kimber Montana

I have a Kimber Montana 300WSM with VX III 2.5-8x36 presently mounted in Leup STD bases & Leup low rings. Friends have suggested the scope is too low, so I'm thinking of switching to Talley LW one-piece, or their stainless screw locks. Are Talley's low mounts a bit higher than the Leupy lows (they look to be in AkCub's & Snyd's photo's)? I want higher mounts, but not too high. Obviously, bolt & barrel clearance is not going to be an issue.

Part of the reason I'm thinking of changing is I have been hit between the eyes with the present set-up (drew blood - somewhat embarrassing!), so I would like a bit more eye relief too. That's not possible at the moment because the Leup reversable front base must be mounted with the ring rearwards over the breech (against the turret of the scope).

I love the rifle & scope. After a mate did a bedding job on it, it shoots 0.8 - 0.900" groups with standard old Fed 180gn Power Shocks. It might do better with Re19/168TSX reloads that I'm prepping for it's first major outing - the red deer roar in NZ! (can't wait).

look forward to any advice you might have.

Default Rings

I just switched my 84M from leupy rings and bases to Talley.(not enough bolt clearance) I started with the Talley 1 Piece Lows. They were not high enough, so I went with a set of High mounts and they give plenty of bolt clearance, and with proper cheek weld 'scope lines up perfect.

Talley 1-Piece are the cat's meow. Go on talley's web site and you can go through all the info. Make sure if you have a new Montana, you get the current production rings(8-40 threads). Good luck.

I've got 2 sets of the Talley lightweight ring/bsae setups on 2 separate rifles and 1 QR set of Talley's on a old Mauser 98. The ultralights are great, they are made from aluminum, but they've been plenty strong on my 338-06 and 25-06. I use low mounts in the ultralight rings and they work fine, no bolt clearance issues, with a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 and a 3-9x40 Kahles. Dave Talley sold his company and they moved it form Wyoming to South Carolina, but the quality between the one set I got that was actually made by Talley and the newer ones made by the guys in SC seem to be the same. I'm considering converting all my weaver style rings/bases over to the Talley lightweight ones, but that's going to get expensive. Their cutomer service is excellent. They sent me a variety of ring/base screws for free. Hope this helps.

I'd try the Mediums if your worried about he lows being too low. You just dont ned more with the compact 2.5-8, plenty of clearance up front.

Just take your rifle and scope to Boondocks and they will permit you to take the Talleys out of the package and hold them in place on your rifle with the scope in place.
    Or email Talley and they will tell you what height you need for that scope.
    Tennessee

The scope will work with any of the sizes that Talley makes for the Kimber, its just what you personally like. I like mine on a low line of sight and the 2.5-8 fits great real low, you can reverse the mounts to get more eye relief adjustments too, though the 2.5 -8 is very generous in the eye relief department there isn't much room to play with in the shorter tubed 2.5-8.

I have the same Montana and went with the Tally one piece mount. I had a Zeiss conquest 3x9 and I called Tally. If you tell them the scope, they will recommend the mount. They did for me. I love mine.

I have Talley Light Weight lows on my Montana with a 2.5-8 Leupold and I think it's just about perfect. Snyd mentioned the DeadNutz one-piece mounts in another thread and I like their looks, so they would be my next choice for a mount if I had to do it over again.

Thanks for all the helpful replies - much appreciated.

I sent an email to Talley who promptly replied saying their low one-piece lightweight mounts are 0.400" front & 0.525" rear (from top of receiver to bottom of cradle in mount) & go up in 0.100" increments to mediums & highs. That makes the lows higher than my present Leup STD's, so looks like I'll be ordering the Talley lows like most others here with this (popular!) combination.

Next trick will be to get them delivered out here, so I'm working on that.