Thread: Tower lighting ??

Default Tower lighting ??

What height does a tower have to be to require a light? One of the local cellular companies just put a tower up on a ridge at about mile 6 of KGB. Driving home in the fog tonight I noticed that it wasn't lit. I assume that it should be and if this is common practice to not illuminate them immediately upon erection then they probably should be cited! We have a lot of small plane activity around here it would be heart breaking to see one go down due to negligence. Who would you call to report a violation?

150'. Tower erectors know the codes and requirements. If you think it's a flight hazard you can call the FAA, who probably approved it prior to erection.

Default Safety Hotline Number

Here is the number for the Alaska Aviation Safety Hotline: 800-255-1111. Thanks for your concern and interest.

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    What height does a tower have to be to require a light? One of the local cellular companies just put a tower up on a ridge at about mile 6 of KGB. Driving home in the fog tonight I noticed that it wasn't lit. I assume that it should be and if this is common practice to not illuminate them immediately upon erection then they probably should be cited! We have a lot of small plane activity around here it would be heart breaking to see one go down due to negligence. Who would you call to report a violation?
    My recollection is that the highest structure in a given area must have a red light at the top, and that the light must be flashing.

Structures at lesser elevations would require a red light, but not a flashing light.