Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: electronic moose calls outlawed (merged threads)

Default electronic moose calls outlawed (merged threads)

alaska board of game banned them january 28th by a vote of 4 to three at the coast inn. in anchorage

Thats okay, I only use a cheap $2.00 long stem oil funnel I cut down, bought from Walmart, and a shoulder blade bone for scraping....they work better.

Default electronic moose calls outlawed (merged threads)

electronic moose calls outlawed in alaska january 28th

Mark

Well, I guess I knew it was coming.

I'm getting tired of this game.

Are they illegal across the board or only for moose? Can I use a moose calf call for wolves? Did the BOG write another nondescript law that has further reaching implications than intended?

I hadn't realized there was a proposal to ban electronic callers. With all the technology we use to hunt any animal these days, why would an electronic caller be any worse than anything else.
    How stupid!.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thumbs up

well, that would be in line with the way the Homer AC voted ... even though one of our members sells (sold) them <grin>.
    some people just let them run all night and hunted in the morning. and it's pretty annoying when the only calls you hear are off-cadence, pitched wrong, and....FAKE!!!
    easy enough to call by mouth.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    well, that would be in line with the way the Homer AC voted ... even though one of our members sells (sold) them <grin>.
    some people just let them run all night and hunted in the morning. and it's pretty annoying when the only calls you hear are off-cadence, pitched wrong, and....FAKE!!!
    easy enough to call by mouth.
    This is exactly why I am turned off by backcountryhunters.org! You guys insist on outlawing anything that you don't agree with. If they don't work who cares!!!

Exclamation get a grip , lujon

didn't have didly to do with AK BHA!!!
    the Homer AC has no affiliation with any organization at all.
    the vote was 13-1 opposed , no abstentions.
    what do you think, that the Homer AC is tun by AK BHA?

LuJon - I'm not a member of ABHA, but from looking at their website I don't see any mention of a position on electronic calls. One man does not speak for the group. From what I've read, ABHA is much more concerned with habitat issues that something as trivial as electronic calls.

I thought this proposal was just one person annoyed by someone using an electronic call. I did not think it had a chance of passing. Surprise. Oh well, guess I leave the electronic call at home next year. Never had any luck with it anyway.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

heck, it could very well have been put in by one person annoyed by an electronic call.... but that is how this system "works"... anyone can propose anything.... and the BOG, in their "infinite wisdom" can surprise us all...

I consistantly see a couple people with AK BHA in their signature block looking to tighten up regulations due the their disdain for how others use our resources. I appologize for dragging AK BHA into this particular instance ( I am now curious where they stand on it though).

Its a bummer but oh well. I have never used one and don't plan on it. I love knowing I faked the bull out and not a machine.

I will be glad not to have to hear them anymore. When I did the ship creek hunt this year I could hear them all day long. Then when I shot my moose down the hill a few hundred yards in the woods from one and it was walking away from the guys (and there fancy caller) They said I shot there moose. I would have liked to be able to have called but with everybody and there brother with E calls there was no point. Most of this had to do with alot of people just down the pass but it was just annoying.

Default electronic calls for moose

Was the prohibition of use of electronic calls for moose statewide? The proposal I saw only pertained to southcentral and southwest alaska. I myself got pretty tired of hearing these calls last season. I'm a voice and shoulderblade man myself and get real satisfaction when I can fool a bull.

I coulda sworn they were illegal anyway.

Why on earth would anyone buy a moose call? Maybe something to hit trees with but grunting really isn't that hard is it
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I used one about 3 years ago but only used it when I was awake and ready to take a bull. Only 1 or 2 of the 12 or more calls actually worked and most sounded tinny to me. I promptly sold it when I got home, now my friend has it and won't be able to use it, unless this new reg doesn't apply to interior moose. I prefer my Bull Magnet much more of any electronic caller.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    I thought this proposal was just one person annoyed by someone using an electronic call. I did not think it had a chance of passing. Surprise........
    Like I wrote, I'm not surprised at all. With the way fish and game politics are here, I knew it was coming.

Joe Fool decides he doesn't like something ("it isn't ethical", or some such tomfoolery), writes and submits a proposal, and the Board enacts it. Sometimes the Board enacts such garbage because they think it will appease the anti-hunting crowd, sometimes it's done because they think it will "save the resource", sometimes they do it in pure desperation because people are at the meetings pounding them with bullspit, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    ......I appologize for dragging AK BHA into this particular instance ( I am now curious where they stand on it though).
    I don't think you'd be surprised.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast