Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what gun for a shooter halibut?

Default what gun for a shooter halibut?

ideas on what caliber to use etc..

Talking This should be fun!

This should be fun. I like my .44 magnum. I can carry 300 grain slugs for bears or load down to less than .44 special. A 133 grain muzzle loading ball behind 5 grains of powder makes a great light load. I forgot one day to switch loads and could not hear myself talk for 5 minutes.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    This should be fun. I like my .44 magnum. I can carry 300 grain slugs for bears or load down to less than .44 special. A 133 grain muzzle loading ball behind 5 grains of powder makes a great light load. I forgot one day to switch loads and could not hear myself talk for 5 minutes.
    Made the same mistake too, once, Dave. Halibut did not seem to know the difference but my ears sure did. I now have a .410 and will use it with a set of ear muffs. I have shot several with my old ruger single six and they died just as quick as the one I shot with the .44. It is all about placement. I shoot about an inch behind the top eye for the brain. I have heard that you can spine them by shooting them just ahead and in line with their pectoral fin. Never tried that shot though.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Though I prefer releasing the big butts if my guests decide to kill 1 I've never had any problem dispatching them with a harpoon and Louisville slugger. Killed halibut to 270lbs. and haven't found 1 yet that made me think I needed a gun. That being said, I can tell you a few stories of people or boats being shot while trying to finish off a halibut.

Using a gun is like sounding the dinner bell. Once they hear that sound they know a big one was caught. Everyone will invade your spot.. Silence is deadly. Harpoon and a bat
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default .410

A stainless steel Snake Charmer in .410 makes a great halibut dispatcher. I like the .410 because it eliminates the possiblilty of an errant round poking a hole in your boat.

kingfisherktn

Talking

funny how slamming a hatch cover can be mistaken for a .410 shot.<GRIN>
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Talking

Are you slamming the hatch on the halibut?

Years ago when I was working on a boat out of Homer, the owner used to keep a stainless "Snake Charmer" at the back of the boat to finnish them. First one I tried to shoot ship rolled and managed to shoot the line in half. Fish got away. Still have a buddy of mine up there that reminds me of it every once in a while.

Gun Runner

Default 22 or 38spc

I've used both with no problems. In fact I have a 22 pistol that only cost me $70 that way I don't have to worry about rust or losing it in the drink.

AKGray you just fish around to many boats, I have heard guns & used them & never been invaded by boats.
    Of course not many people want to pull up & park on top of a zodiac, & rubber boats don't like harpoons.

shark hookem! Guns and boats go together...well I'll leave your imagination for this one.

.22 sounds fine to me, a baseball bat sounds more fun, plus you lose world record status if you shoot the 400 pounder so you should get good at the old baseball bat technique
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by AkKings View Post
    That being said, I can tell you a few stories of people or boats being shot while trying to finish off a halibut.

I'm with you on that one...

Besides, I once was on a six-pac out of Homer 11 years ago and I thought one of the female (old heavy-set cantankerous type) clients was going to use the gun on the captain. He kept releasing ALL her 30lb chickens...It was hilarious.

I've killed plenty of 300# butts with a bat. I don't think guns are needed and like AKPM said you would lose a record. Now is it fun?? Sure, but not needed. A flying harpoon with the detachable head tied to the boat is most likely best. Just my opinion...we all got em!

Charterboat Operator

Default so MANY choices

I use a .410 snake charmer, butt cut off and pistol grip only. a little noisy but have never had one move after the shot. have had several biguns swim all the way back to the bottom after shooting with a pistol (mostly the shooter)
    been looking for a bang stick. my buddy uses one and it is extremly effective. a ..38 on a long pole, leave the butt down a couple of feet and just reach down and poke him in the head. little blurp and the fish is quiet.
    I think a lot of it has to do with the percussion, as well as shot placement.

always fun to see the look on wsome newbys face when you pull out a gun while fishing, "you're gonna do WHAT!?"

I was talking to the bartender in Elfin Cove last summer... she was laughing at several of the new rookie guides. She mentioned that every year the lodges get new kids to guide, and none of them know how to use a shark hook or harpoon, so they give them guns. You can tell the rookies are out when the guns start going off... Each year at least 2 or 3 of the new kids shoot holes in their swim steps (or worse)...

Much of the time it's just for show. A lot of guys love the reaction they get (it's a testosterone thing) when the gun comes out in the middle of a fishing trip. Personally, I think it makes a better show doing it manually. Besides, the young folks get a kick out of clubbing their fish...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Reasoning

The reason I use the .44 is because it is usually with me on every trip out. Shore lunches, bathroom breaks and ect. you need something for bears.

I never bring a live halibut into the boat. Last summer I had a 140 lb. halibut by myself and it was all I could do to get him up over the side by myself. Small fish, 50 lbs. or so I gaff and tie off, bleed right in the water. Then, and only when dead do they come into the boat.

I used the .22 on the 140 lber. 2 bullets did not penetrate through the fish so I don't use on any more.

Can a harpoon be used with only one had as you hold the pole with the other?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    ...Can a harpoon be used with only one had as you hold the pole with the other?
    With a little bit of the 4 P's (Proper Prior Practice & Preparation) it can be done. I pre-rig 2 harpoons when we're getting into the fish... my buoys are tied to the harpoon tip with about 5' of 3/16 line. I use light masking tape (blue painter's stuff) to make 3, single wraps to attach the line to the harpoon shaft. I haven't had too much trouble hitting the fish one-handed (My other hand is usually holding onto the boat)... once I pull back, or once the fish runs, the masking tape breaks and the fish and buoy are free to run on the fishing line.

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default better bullet

Dave,
    I think you need to change bullets I have switced to varmit load hollow points in the 22. If they can't penetrate from 6' away I'm in trouble, but now that you mention it I rember some only being stunned, so just shoot again.
    I also agree with your 44, we have used what ever we have with us for shore camping. I like the flying gaff but don't have room for one. With the wife, dog, & myself there is no way a halibut is coming on board until we get ready to go in. That means tying them off & I have found the even when the 22 doesn't kill them it stuns them enough to run a rope through the gills. I have used gaffs but I have also seen a gaff shaken out of someones hand & now its in the drink & stuck in the fish. Also you would be suprised at how its natural to swing the gaff towards you when setting &with inflatable tubes it doesn't take much to miss or go through the mouth & the hook keeps protruding through into the next object.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    ... Also you would be suprised at how its natural to swing the gaff towards you when setting &with inflatable tubes it doesn't take much to miss or go through the mouth & the hook keeps protruding through into the next object.
    You know the solution for this right? Get a harder boat!

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast