Thread: Steamer Clams!!!

Thumbs up Steamer Clams!!!

One of my clients showed me a new way to cook steamers, for me anyway so I thought I'd share.

As soon as you dig'em you should rinse in a mesh bag, place in bucket and add saltwater to cover then add 1 cup cornmeal (for a 5 gal bucket) Let set for at least 4 hours.

In large steaming pot add 1/2 cup olive oil, heat oil and coat bottom, add a sliced onion, add steamers and cover, cook until clams open and do not add any water, when you finish there will be lots of clam juice in bottom of pot (1-2 inches).

This tastes great if you add a dash of wine too.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default I do a variation on this method

Instead of the onion I slice up a whole bunch of garlic cloves, use the olive oil and add some sake....it's great!

Sounds delicious, what species are you harvesting? I used to harvest cockles by the 5 gal bucket @ Kulukuk Bay years ago. My brother still goes over every summer just for them.

Nuka,

Not exactly sure what species they are but most local folks refer to them as butter clams. We do get some cockles as well. There all good...just have to watch out for the psp.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Sounds delicious, what species are you harvesting? I used to harvest cockles by the 5 gal bucket @ Kulukuk Bay years ago. My brother still goes over every summer just for them.
    Mostly Pacific Littlenecks and butter clams. We can rake them out of sandy gravel close to organic material in tidewater estuaries down here in Southcentral. Never had cockles steamed, but they may be perfect. Mussels are also great steamed if they are not too big. I think the main thing is for the shellfish to be the right size to be tender and not have a big leather foot that needs to be processed.

Definitely do the cornmeal purge thing to get rid of sand. And clean the shells well before steaming. You want lots of good stuff to dip French bread into.

Steamed clams in garlic butter Mmmmm... These recipes sound great too. I can't wait to try em!

Here is the list so far of available shellfish here in Alaska, did I miss any?

Razor clams
    Butter clams
    Pacific Littlenecks
    Cockles
    Steamer clams

What about mussels and oysters are they harvested up here in Alaska too?
    Thanks

Thumbs up more clams....!

littlenecks and steamers are the same.
    don't forget surf clams (hokkagai) and geoduck (mirugai)
    mussels for sure, a couple species.
    there are eastern softshell clams introduced in mud bay below the airport here, and a number of small macoma sp. that we dig in the sand once in a while when we are hunting surf clams.... just eat 'em on the spot!
    lots of farmed oysters here and in the sound, the best there are.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post

There all good...just have to watch out for the psp.
    (psp) is this the worm like thing from inside the clam? Thanks

Nukalpiaq, PSP (Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning) is something you don't see, but it'll kill you like a bad mushroom. Usually but not always associated with bad water and or blooms. Some states give out advisorys on which beaches you can harvest shellfish from as a precaution...

Homerdave, any idea when they are going to start harvesting those Eastern softshell clams? If those are the same one's we get up in Maine and Rhode Island they will be hard to beat. I've had the manila clams from up here and they are small and tend to be chewy, nothing like those clams from New England, talk about sweet and tender!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Homerdave, any idea when they are going to start harvesting those Eastern softshell clams? If those are the same one's we get up in Maine and Rhode Island they will be hard to beat. I've had the manila clams from up here and they are small and tend to be chewy, nothing like those clams from New England, talk about sweet and tender!!!

Mmmmmm, you're making me hungry. Also, soft shell crab, and a friend of mine had lobster pots. Always had fresh lobster, those were the days.
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Sorry about that BP, i'm hoping the wife brings some back in May when she goes back to the east coast on business. I could eat those things til I puked and a fresh lobster roll, dang it doesn't get any better than that!!

Thanks barleydog for the clarification on psp. Seafood chowder sounds pretty good right now. Any good recipes out there that anyone would like to share?

I'm a big fan for tossing a little beer or white wine in the pot with 4 garlic cloves, some whole peppercorns, a tug of salt, and bring it to a boil. Then drop down a steamer basket full of steamers and cook a little past "open." DIp in clarified butter and unbuckle your belt!
    Softshells get cleaned and tossed into chowder either by themselves or with some rockfish and shrimp! Emeril's recipe is pretty good from the food network.

Talking steamers.

I grew up in southeast alaska out of wrangell and ketchikan and metlicatla on a 27 ft wooden hand troller with mom dad and little brother. We lived off the land, clams sea cucumbers fish dungees deer beech asparigus goose tounge fiddle ferns spam powderd milk and even a little bear. Right now im cooking a pot of rice with a fillet of 12 hour cold smoked black cod laying on top of the rice. almost said heck with it and ate it just cold smoked. a friend gave me the fillet Its definatly a delicacy. Cold smoked black cod. just had a bite its the best **** fish ive ever had in my life