Thread: Snare set's and moose

Default Snare set's and moose

We are having a heck of a time with moose and our snares, This morning I had a scary moment with a cow caught in one of my snares. If it hadn't been for my brother in law I wouldn't have known what to do. He was able to cut her out of the snare. But most times our snares are either broken off or kicked to the side...

Is there a secret to keeping moose out of the snares? Or just tolerate it?

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Huntress
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default Moose

ive never caught one but all my snares have break aways just in case. Hillbilly

You should really try not to set on trials that the moose travel but I know sometimes thats difficult. Usually if you are just using fox and coyote snares they will snap them pretty easily but on heavy or wolf snares you can very easily cut the slot where your snare cable goes thru the lock. It will still hold any k9 with no problem but will give quite easily when a moose stumbles thru. Go to Trapperman.com and go to the Wilderness Forum. There are some very good posts with pictures on how to cut your locks. Good luck!!!

Guys, These are snares out in the middle of a black spruce patch. In the middle of no where The only trails in and out are our foot prints. The cow we caught yesterday was rather small so Im assuming she had a hard time getting out. We are constantly having to either replace them or reset them from getting kicked over. I know this is going to sound very strange but its almost as though they are attracted to our bait pile? If i didnt know any better I'd say they had it out for us
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Yeah like caribou I have the moose jump into my trails and follow them for miles sometimes, just something you can't help sometimes. Check out Trapperman and make sure to go to the Wilderness Forum. Lots of info and some very good trappers that are very helpful.

The ATA website has a good PDF on making breakaway snares
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default sorry to hear that

Sounds like you aren't setting around willows and I would have thought that might be a problem, but isn't. How deep is the snow level? Am wondering if that is part of the problem. I rarely have moose follow my trails, but don't have super deep snow either. I just avoid setting in willow thickets. I am not sure there is a whole lot you can do with your situation. If you are using just fox and cats snares, the moose should be able to break those pretty easily. Good luck!

Default ATA Wolf Trapping Video

covers this pretty well, they supply two very good ways to avoid or let the moose get away from a snare and also I think its Minnesota trapline products that carries the 340lb break away J hooks but, if you are thinking about setting up for wolves I wouldn't use these break aways.

Hi folks,

These are very simple fox snare sets we are using, nothing complicated. What my wife is trying to convey is that she was caught in the middle of a small cow being caught in a snare the other day and it wasn't fun for her to figure out how to release it. As we can figure the cow was on the smaller side and couldn't get up. My brother in law gave her a hand and the cow was released without incident. Now the other problem we are having is that moose seem to be attracted to our sets, gut piles, hole sets etc....it doesn't seem to matter what we set. Each day she finds all the snares are knocked over and traps are set off. (moose) I don't know how many fox we have missed from knocked over snares but its been quite a few! We were asking if there was anything trappers might use to "deter" moose from their sets. if not, maybe we'll experiment with some of our garden deterrents. Its worth a try!

PS. I have been at this for 25 years, its not like I'm new to this. But I am new to this dilemma.

Default Aktrapper

I hope you find something that works! I've never had that dillemma except in willow patches which I avoid like the plague! Good luck and let us know if you find something that works!