Thread: June or July Trip to Sitka?

Default June or July Trip to Sitka?

I'm planning a 4 day trip for 4 targeting Halibut and Salmon fishing this summer. I'm taking my 75 year old father in law so the trip can't be too remote or rugged. I've narrowed it down to Sitka but I haven't nailed down a date yet. It can either be mid to late June or mid to late July. It sounds like the June trip we can catch some Kings but the July trip the Kings will be scarce. Will the Coho's be around in mid to late July? Any body have any recomendations on "all inclusive" outfitters in Sitka. Anybody have any input on the Frontier Charters and Lodge out of Sitka?

Thanks!
    Tom

june something....stay away from July if you can help it...july 1 is comm troll opener for kings.

The reality of it is, more time searching, more time fishing and fewer and fewer fish as the days go on..by july 4-6 it can be but not always is, tough! This last year was BAD!

Default Go North

I would take a good look at Eagle charters in Elfin Cove. It is north of Sitka and I would book for June if you want kings. Joe runs a great lodge and has good captians and gear. Elfin is a very neat place.

PM sent...and just out of curiousity...are you from Texas?

Default Leaning towards the North

Thanks for the replys, I've also been reading the other thread about another foursome heading in that direction. Elfin Cove does look like a great destination. If I end up going in mid to late July, will I have a chance at catching both Kings and Cohos? And yes I'm from Houston, TX
    Tom

we have caught many though they aint big and I never did get a complete limit, our limit of Kings and 1/2 to 2/3rds a limit on coho's in JUNE!

July is likely to early, even late july though there maybe a few around by then. Every year is different. I was done sept 1, and the coho's were just showing up in numbers after that. Bad weather kept us from getting out much though. My dad came up for a few days to fish, had a ball and did well, that was sept though.