Thread: How cold is toooo cold....

Default How cold is toooo cold....

Well just looking for your opinions on what temperature is to cold to shoot at. And any variation's between pistols/revolvers and rifles. Also SS vs. Blue? Any bad experiences?

Thanks, Jake

Default Too cold to shoot?

-30 is the coldest temperature at which I have shot game. I was using H-4350 which seems to work fine at that temperature. I have shot it from the bench at similar temperatures and it also worked fine, not showing much drop over the chrono. I have been cautioned that some of the Reloder powders are rather temperature sensitive, but I haven't tested them for this. They work great at moderate temperatures. The above information is for rifles.

I have not shot autoloading pistols below -10 that I can recall. All the factory ammo and reloads I tried worked fine at -10.

My revolvers seem to shoot H-110, Blue Dot, 2400 just fine at -10. Haven't tried them at colder temps.

I'm sure you know about de-greasing your firearms before using them at extremely low temperatures. My friends who have hunted Musk Ox and Polar Bear completely degreased their firearms, including inside the bolt, and used either dry lube or one of the low-temp, hi-tech lubes that basically deposits slippery material and a light oil film on metal parts, including the bore. I recall degreasing my Mdl. 95 Win., .30-40 Krag with acetone, many years ago before a hunt. The temp. dropped to -20 and was probably much colder just before dark, down in a dark canyon, when I shot a cougar. I had lubed the action with dry graphite, and it worked fine, thankfully, because the range was extremely short, and the cougar was letting me know he wasn't happy with my presence. He also wasn't running away. He had just killed a deer, a nice buck.
    Jack.

I've shot rifles and pistols down to -30 with no problems. The Canadian Mounted Police did a test not long ago about cold weather lubes and Eezox was one of the top selections. I use Eezox on all of my firearms because it dries once the lube is applied and it doesn't freeze up. I've never had any problems with rusting either even when hunting in the South East.

Last weekend, five of us were hunting rabbits and grouse. Temps were somewhere between -17 and -30 throughout the day. Three of us used O/U shotguns, 1 Mossberg 500, and 1 Browning Gold. Both the Mossberg and Browning Gold failed to fire when the triggers were pulled. I suspect the Mossberg had frozen condensation from getting into and out of the truck as we traveled between hunting locations. I have no idea why the Browning Gold locked up...either condensation or oil I assume. All three O/Us functioned fine.

I`m from Finland and in the army we used to shoot our rifles at -30c. Whit out any oil in it. So before we go out we clean/dry the guns very carefully and it works fine. I talk about semi auto rifles.

In the military the coldest I ever shot any weapons was 56 below zero Farenheit. (minus 48C) I used arctic synthetic brake fluid to lube a 50 caliber machine gun.
    As a cop, the coldest I ever had to use a firearm was 76 Below zero at Fort Yukon. (-60C), I had a model 25-5 S&W 45 Colt that I had removed all of the oil from and lubed it with One Puff dry graphite lube. It worked just fine on a very large rabid dog that was coming after me. (Well not as fast as I wished it had)
    My buddy Richard pulled out his Beretta semi auto from under his parka and fired one shot, the slide then jammed like it was welded in place.
    My other buddy Roger tried to use his stainless Mini 14, but it was jamemd up with frozen oil.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

During WW2 and the Russian/Finnish war, conditions were pretty extreme and a variety of equipment was made to function in extreme cold. I read that the russians used a oil/gasoline mix as a lube and that the germans understandably were slower to adjust. I wonder if the Finns used a lube or not. As an aside, numerous snipers pulled off incredible shooting with old fashioned wood wrapped around the barrel. Nowadays we are told that any wooden stock will warp at the mere sight of moisture let alone icy cold and muddy misery. Anyone know how rifles were maintained back then?

My dad told me that kerosene (sp) worked well during the Korean war during periods of bitter cold as a light lube.

The Finn sniper who set the record during the Finn-Soviet Winter War used an open sighted Finn version of the Mosin. Since he also used a sub machine gun during some of his kills, it sounds like he was a master of winter camo and the sneak attack, more than a long range marksman.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Russo-Finn war 39-40 Finland had Lahti-Saloranta "light" machine gun (22lbs) and my grand father told they got frozen often because too many moving parts so they had to urinate on it to get them working again. But the best weapon Finland had was the "Suomi" submachine gun 9mm 1300 feet/second and accurate to 100m. It`s been told that One man killed over 200 russo man in "motti" battles. And it was brutal looking as an ox but it worked in every weather. And later on Russians copied it. Simo Hayha was the famous Finnish sniper who had 542 confirmed kills. He used Sako M28/30 "pystykorva" and open sights.
    http://www.snipercountry.com/BVT_Rev...nenKuolema.asp